a request for computer help

saturnsc2

Jul 14, 2004
:eek: just wondering if anybody here knows a lot about computer operating systems. here's the story: i have windows xp & am trying to re-install windows service pack 2. i recently did a disc recovery & when i do that, it goes back to service pack 1, so i have to do the upgrade by downloading it off the microsoft site. i did these install/upgrades before with no problem, but this time after i re-downloaded service pack 2, i got an error message when the install was half way through: "service pack 2 setup error unable to read or write to the data base service pack 2 installation not complete" ??? what's up with this? i have a request in to windows for technical support, but it might be a week until i hear from those morons. anybody here know something about this?

Mountain Pro is your man and would know all about this. I have myself re-installed Windows 98 (8 times) and had a lot of problems similar to yours. I somehow solved it all by trial and error. In the end, I found I had reinstalled Windows different to the usual method.
As I recall, I couldn't make an "A" hard-drive file copy of Windows at all (error messages) so I winded up restarting the computer in DOS and then typing FORMAT C: Like yourself, I found the system somehow got stuck after a lot of data loading so I solved that by restarting the P.C. and booting up with the Windows C.D. Rom. Somehow the system figured out I didn't have an "A" disk and offered me the C.D. Rom option.
After that, I just followed the instructions and loaded all the drivers. Always load the drivers before you load any programs such a Word or PantShop. As I recall, it also took me ages to find a way to get the new modem working and I had to disable the former inboard modem.
Again, though, Mountain Pro would be able to help you, I think. But in my case I just kept going (hours on end) till finally I found a way.

saturnsc2 said:
:eek: just wondering if anybody here knows a lot about computer operating systems. here's the story: i have windows xp & am trying to re-install windows service pack 2. i recently did a disc recovery & when i do that, it goes back to service pack 1, so i have to do the upgrade by downloading it off the microsoft site. i did these install/upgrades before with no problem, but this time after i re-downloaded service pack 2, i got an error message when the install was half way through: "service pack 2 setup error unable to read or write to the data base service pack 2 installation not complete" ??? what's up with this? i have a request in to windows for technical support, but it might be a week until i hear from those morons. anybody here know something about this?

i was told to do this on another board & it worked:
Cryptographic service error
Error 0x800710D9 Unable to read from or write to the database
The quickest and most thorough way to solve this problem is a batch file, written by fellow MVP Torgeir Bakken from Norway. Reboot the computer and, before running any other program, run the batch file. It will tell you when it is finished. Here it is: fixdb.bat - http://winhlp.com/tools/fixdb.bat

thanks anyway! everything back on track....

The quickest and most thorough way to solve this problem is a batch file, written by fellow MVP Torgeir Bakken from Norway. Reboot the computer and, before running any other program, run the batch file. It will tell you when it is finished. Here it is: fixdb.bat - http://winhlp.com/tools/fixdb.bat

yea, i know its been resolved. The best way to resolve this would be to chek the internet, trawl a few geek-powered computing forums...

i've been away for a week mounting biking in the Scottish highlands for 6 days. Royal Deeside (Braemar, Balmoral), Avie More, Speyside, the Great Glen (Loch Ness area)... Fort William and Glencoe to Oban to Tighnabruach road ride...lovely sunny weather and not a midgie in sight.

i appear to have given up cycling for lent, now i am back on track....

excellent...

hows your Easter break been?

saturnsc2 said:

MountainPro said:
yea, i know its been resolved. The best way to resolve this would be to chek the internet, trawl a few geek-powered computing forums...

i've been away for a week mounting biking in the Scottish highlands for 6 days. Royal Deeside (Braemar, Balmoral), Avie More, Speyside, the Great Glen (Loch Ness area)... Fort William and Glencoe to Oban to Tighnabruach road ride...lovely sunny weather and not a midgie in sight.

i appear to have given up cycling for lent, now i am back on track....

excellent...

hows your Easter break been?
Lot's of rain in California this Easter weekend. My wife and I were absolutley stir crazy on Sunday. Glad to hear you got out on your bike.

One question for you.... What the ferk is a "midgie" ?

lw

known as 'The Guardian of the Highlands'

its a swarming mosquito that we have in Scotland and the North of England. Comes in summer and bites the hell out of you. A nasty we cnut.

actually, without the midgie the highlands would be ful of tourists. At the moment its full of German and Dutch bikers (motorcyclists).

i just cant wait till their **** sting can penertrate leather biker clothing.

lwedge said:
One question for you.... What the ferk is a "midgie" ?

lw

MountainPro said:
known as 'The Guardian of the Highlands'

its a swarming mosquito that we have in Scotland and the North of England. Comes in summer and bites the hell out of you. A nasty we cnut.

actually, without the midgie the highlands would be ful of tourists. At the moment its full of German and Dutch bikers (motorcyclists).

i just cant wait till their **** sting can penertrate leather biker clothing.
Thanks for the definition. I think they call them Skeeter's in JHuskey's neck of the woods. :D

They call them Skeeter's in Oklahoma too, that's where most of my family is from.

lw