A ride report? sort of

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Darsh, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    The Big Hit was perched on the railing. I took of my helmet, put it on the seat, and walked to the
    garage. Randy came walking out ready to ride. I guess I wasn't the only one not really working...

    The Big Hit was just for show. What a sweet bike. The Giant NRS 1 AIR, the only frame of it's kind,
    was on the stand. Randy left the garage messing around. I reached over, stretching the leather,
    motorcycle race jacket, and pulled on the brakes.

    The pull was buttery and complete. There would be no wasted energy with this fine lever set-up. I am
    pretty precise as far as lever pull opinion goes. Hard pull = wasted energy. Most people think they
    have a good feeling lever, but they are like a chicken in a box. They have never felt the world of
    the "darsh" lever pull. I am a master.

    Randy had installed, perfectly as always I might add, complete Gore-Tex cables... on everything. The
    shifting was beyond sweet. Any gear was the same minimal effort. The rear SRAM could not have been
    better. A quick pre-ride cleaning of the cogs, showed the orange color even more.

    Randy knows how I feel about lever pull. He quickly came into the garage wondering what I was
    moaning about. I could tell he thought I was berating his "harsh" lever pull. I was not. He had
    sorked, yes sorked, the tension springs perfectly. The Gor-Tex gives a feel like no other system in
    the world. Gore-Tex with the sweet torqueing, sorking, was sublime.

    The only brakes that feel better, are on my trials bike. Magura Louise, fat levers. The feel is like
    being encased in heavy oxygen. EVERYTHING slows down when you grab those levers... time, speed,
    rotation, age.

    Randy had also installed his 1.9 tired, racing wheel set. The Giant 1, without disc brakes, and the
    sweet racing wheels, brings the weight of a 23 pound bike, well... down. A FS bike of love in the 22
    pound area is sweet.

    I viewed the Bianchi SS. It sure looks like a sweet little bike. Randy runs 2.4 tires with the Hays
    disc brakes. He can not say enough good things about the bike. IF you are a skilled rider, with
    technical panache, and want a SS, I suggest looking at the Bianchi.

    (just missed Halle Berry topside in Swordfish)

    Further down his garage was the GT ski-bike on the wall. Ahh, the days of the ski-bike. The Line
    ski-boards cleaned up. The matte black frame of the GT. Seems so long ago.. two surgeries long. He
    has another identical GT frame. It will also be a ski-bike soon. This will be good for next winter.

    The Redline was on the otherside of the garage. The roadbike was sold. The tools and lube were
    sorted. Everything was good.

    The garage is cool.

    I got back on the Hayabusa, and Randy got on the Giant destined for the outer loops of Mushroom
    Rock.. Colin, the kid from next door, came riding up. He is an avid mountainbiker, following the
    old guys, and at times leading the old guys. He has the oppourtunity to be an incredible racer,
    but parental control will wash it all away. He is very impressed with the Hayabusa.. as he
    should be.. hehe

    I backed out of the driveway, and moved into the street. I twisted the big machine up and pushed
    forward. I lit up the rear and pecked the clutch for frontal take off. The tire spun madly as the
    front end came up. The rear twisted a little, and I rode out the arc. I looked back at Colin for an
    instant. His mouth looked broken.

    I wondered how easy that sort of move really was for anyone. 520lbs, two wheels... sometimes one,
    180HP, 61 inch length, a rear tire as wide as a pick-up truck. I wondered what it took. I never
    really think about that while doing it.. or before.

    I hit the highway home slow. The speed was 65. I rode at 60. If I can't go 150, why go 65? I loped
    along when a white van pulled up next to me. The van was a county van for kids. It was number 7.

    I looked at the kid in the window. My gold mirrored visor makes me look menacing, let alone the
    black leathers and Alpine Star moto-cross boots.. and my tall, lean, broad shouldered body.... hehe.
    He was pumping his hand like you do to truck drivers. I waved and honked my horn.

    A couple of kids popped to the window. They were bouncing around like crazy. The one kid kept
    pumping his arm. I did what only a good idiot would do.

    I dropped 4 gears. From 6 to second. I matched throttle with engine RPM's and the bike immediately
    got animated. At 60 in second, I am sure I sounded crazy and looked twitchy. I backed off.

    I slowed to 50 real quick, to the end of the van. I crunched down and popped the bike to first. (The
    Hayabusa will do 90mph in first, but from 50 to 90 in first is dicey to work at best) I hit it hard
    and got next to the vans window. I yanked second gear, and the front came up. The rear was spinning
    madly. I ripped up to 140 with the front hanging and the rear sliding, and dropped it down in smoke.
    The front wheel lands like an airplane. It squeaks a skid, and puffs a smoke when it drops down. It
    is sort of impressive.

    The van caught up, and the kids were freaking out. I smiled under my mirror. I looked over, and
    the girl in the front handed something to the kid in the back. He plastered the drivers wallet on
    the window.

    The driver was a member of the Colorado State Patrol. He was a Trooper. OMG. I looked at the driver,
    and he was laughing. He looked like a Trooper. My only real exhibition was right there, and it was
    for the kids. I am sure he didn't condone it, but I was good to go before and after. I hoped he
    forgot about me. I would hate to tangle with him on Tennessee Pass... the area that I will stop for
    no one, for any reason. The place where I am always 100mph over the speed limit. I will never turn
    that over to any law enforcement officer...

    I got home with more resolve to sell the landship, and ride my Giant. I think I will even put the
    Foes back together. I hope I can be satisfied.

    Cheer on Randy. He is riding the Colorado NORBA races in the 40-49 class. He hopes to take state. I
    think he can. He missed a DH race due to being new to the deal, but he will not miss that chance
    again. Since he stopped drinking, he is damn tough on the climbs... strong. He can't be beat
    technically, he can't be beat on a fireroad. He is damn fast on fireroads... and in Colorado, we
    have some zingers.

    That is all darsh has for the moment. For I am darsh, the third person typing ruler of the
    world! hehe

    darsh

    Tags:

  2. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    "Darsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The Big Hit was perched on the railing. I took of my helmet, put it on the seat, and walked to the
    > garage. Randy came walking out ready to ride. I guess I wasn't the only one not really working...
    >
    > The Big Hit was just for show. What a sweet bike. The Giant NRS 1 AIR, the only frame of it's
    > kind, was on the stand. Randy left the garage messing around. I reached over, stretching the
    > leather, motorcycle race jacket, and pulled on the brakes.

    <snip the classic goods>

    > That is all darsh has for the moment. For I am darsh, the third person typing ruler of the
    > world! hehe
    >
    > darsh

    That got me LOL. That's the style we've come to know and love. Good writing. Good riding. Did I say
    good righting?

    Paladin