A ride to Timbuctoo.

b_baka

Guest
That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called Timbuctoo
way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo coach stop bank
and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20 miles of gravel,
and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old wagon trail. I have to
go some pretty strange places to get there but that should be half the fun.
Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
they are on an old topo map.
I will post what I can when I get back.
Bill Baka
Please don't rain today.

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:20 -0800, b_baka <[email protected]> wrote:

>That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called Timbuctoo
>way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo coach stop bank
>and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20 miles of gravel,
>and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old wagon trail. I have to
>go some pretty strange places to get there but that should be half the fun.
>Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
>It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
>river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
>they are on an old topo map.
>I will post what I can when I get back.
>Bill Baka
>Please don't rain today.

Please post .jpgs.

jj

Please don't post jpgs in rec.bicycles.misc of course, as it's not a
binaries group, but perhaps a quick journal with photos at
crazyguyonabike.com would suit. It's a very easy site to use -no html
skills required.

jj wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:20 -0800, b_baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called Timbuctoo
>>way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo coach stop bank
>>and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20 miles of gravel,
>>and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old wagon trail. I have to
>>go some pretty strange places to get there but that should be half the fun.
>>Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
>>It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
>>river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
>>they are on an old topo map.
>>I will post what I can when I get back.
>>Bill Baka
>>Please don't rain today.

> Please post .jpgs.
>
> jj

Well, I did ride to Timbuctoo and right through it without even knowing
it. There was supposed to be an old Wells Fargo bank according to a
friend of mine, but none in sight. I rode to the next town, Smartville
or Smartsville and they told me that I had just rode through Timbuctoo.
4 shacks that I wouldn't keep my dog in (If I had one) and that was the
town. 50 miles of riding and getting lost in the backwoods and that was
all it was. I will put some pictures up after I get off of here. They
will be at www.syix.com/bbaka/timbuctoo/index.htm in one big folder.
give me a half hour and they will be up there.
Too bad they didn't keep the town up as a landmark or something but it
is ready to be bulldozed now, just junk cars and 4 welfare cases. I was
hoping to find someplace to play with a metal detector (friend with car
and metal detector).
That was my ride, a 50 mile zig zag, paved, gravel, mud, one condemned
bridge to walk over and a lot of big semis blowing my hair out of place.
I gave up keeping it combed years ago since two miles of riding and I
look like I just got out of bed anyway. Maybe a buzz cut, then no comb
problems.
Bill Baka

b_baka wrote:
> jj wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:20 -0800, b_baka <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called
>>> Timbuctoo way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo
>>> coach stop bank and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20
>>> miles of gravel, and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old
>>> wagon trail. I have to go some pretty strange places to get there but
>>> that should be half the fun.
>>> Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
>>> It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
>>> river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
>>> they are on an old topo map.
>>> I will post what I can when I get back.
>>> Bill Baka
>>> Please don't rain today.

>> Please post .jpgs.
>>
>> jj
>>

> Well, I did ride to Timbuctoo and right through it without even knowing
> it. There was supposed to be an old Wells Fargo bank according to a
> friend of mine, but none in sight. I rode to the next town, Smartville
> or Smartsville and they told me that I had just rode through Timbuctoo.
> 4 shacks that I wouldn't keep my dog in (If I had one) and that was the
> town. 50 miles of riding and getting lost in the backwoods and that was
> all it was. I will put some pictures up after I get off of here. They
> will be at www.syix.com/bbaka/timbuctoo/index.htm in one big folder.
> give me a half hour and they will be up there.
> Too bad they didn't keep the town up as a landmark or something but it
> is ready to be bulldozed now, just junk cars and 4 welfare cases. I was
> hoping to find someplace to play with a metal detector (friend with car
> and metal detector).
> That was my ride, a 50 mile zig zag, paved, gravel, mud, one condemned
> bridge to walk over and a lot of big semis blowing my hair out of place.
> I gave up keeping it combed years ago since two miles of riding and I
> look like I just got out of bed anyway. Maybe a buzz cut, then no comb
> problems.
> Bill Baka

Small problem since I changed, unwillingly, to Windows XP from 2000 Pro
I can't upload binaries and don't have an el cheapo HTML editor on here
yet. I have 6 pictures of the town that wasn't but can't get them up
there tonight.
Maybe tomorrow.
Bill Baka

b_baka wrote:

> Small problem since I changed, unwillingly, to Windows XP from 2000 Pro
> I can't upload binaries and don't have an el cheapo HTML editor on here
> yet.

You must have purchased the only version of Windows ever made that
didn't include notepad and ftp.

Rich wrote:
> b_baka wrote:
>
>> Small problem since I changed, unwillingly, to Windows XP from 2000
>> Pro I can't upload binaries and don't have an el cheapo HTML editor on
>> here yet.

> You must have purchased the only version of Windows ever made that
> didn't include notepad and ftp.

It has ftp under the DOS box but my ISP doesn't buy it for some reason.
I set prompt to off, binary on, all the right stuff, but no go. It logs
in but only lets me do a mkdir and change to that but no uploads.
Ghost in the system?
Notepad does HTML?
I have editors but haven't installed them yet and don't want to write
something from scratch (read lazy).
Bill Baka