A ride to Timbuctoo.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by b_baka, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. b_baka

    b_baka Guest

    That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called Timbuctoo
    way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo coach stop bank
    and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20 miles of gravel,
    and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old wagon trail. I have to
    go some pretty strange places to get there but that should be half the fun.
    Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
    It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
    river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
    they are on an old topo map.
    I will post what I can when I get back.
    Bill Baka
    Please don't rain today.

    Tags:

  2. jj

    jj Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:20 -0800, b_baka <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called Timbuctoo
    >way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo coach stop bank
    >and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20 miles of gravel,
    >and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old wagon trail. I have to
    >go some pretty strange places to get there but that should be half the fun.
    >Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
    >It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
    >river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
    >they are on an old topo map.
    >I will post what I can when I get back.
    >Bill Baka
    >Please don't rain today.

    Please post .jpgs.

    jj

  3. Please don't post jpgs in rec.bicycles.misc of course, as it's not a
    binaries group, but perhaps a quick journal with photos at
    crazyguyonabike.com would suit. It's a very easy site to use -no html
    skills required.

  4. b_baka

    b_baka Guest

    jj wrote:
    > On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:20 -0800, b_baka <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called Timbuctoo
    >>way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo coach stop bank
    >>and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20 miles of gravel,
    >>and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old wagon trail. I have to
    >>go some pretty strange places to get there but that should be half the fun.
    >>Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
    >>It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
    >>river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
    >>they are on an old topo map.
    >>I will post what I can when I get back.
    >>Bill Baka
    >>Please don't rain today.

    > Please post .jpgs.
    >
    > jj

    Well, I did ride to Timbuctoo and right through it without even knowing
    it. There was supposed to be an old Wells Fargo bank according to a
    friend of mine, but none in sight. I rode to the next town, Smartville
    or Smartsville and they told me that I had just rode through Timbuctoo.
    4 shacks that I wouldn't keep my dog in (If I had one) and that was the
    town. 50 miles of riding and getting lost in the backwoods and that was
    all it was. I will put some pictures up after I get off of here. They
    will be at www.syix.com/bbaka/timbuctoo/index.htm in one big folder.
    give me a half hour and they will be up there.
    Too bad they didn't keep the town up as a landmark or something but it
    is ready to be bulldozed now, just junk cars and 4 welfare cases. I was
    hoping to find someplace to play with a metal detector (friend with car
    and metal detector).
    That was my ride, a 50 mile zig zag, paved, gravel, mud, one condemned
    bridge to walk over and a lot of big semis blowing my hair out of place.
    I gave up keeping it combed years ago since two miles of riding and I
    look like I just got out of bed anyway. Maybe a buzz cut, then no comb
    problems.
    Bill Baka

  5. b_baka

    b_baka Guest

    b_baka wrote:
    > jj wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 07:27:20 -0800, b_baka <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> That is my plan for today. There is a real ghost town called
    >>> Timbuctoo way back in the woods with an old original Wells Fargo
    >>> coach stop bank and the only way to get to it is 20 miles of road, 20
    >>> miles of gravel, and maybe 20 miles of unknown and untraveled old
    >>> wagon trail. I have to go some pretty strange places to get there but
    >>> that should be half the fun.
    >>> Now if only I could pack a metal detector.
    >>> It is north of highway 20 where the new bridge crosses over the Yuba
    >>> river (Yuba county, Ca.) but I don't have the GPS coordinates unless
    >>> they are on an old topo map.
    >>> I will post what I can when I get back.
    >>> Bill Baka
    >>> Please don't rain today.

    >> Please post .jpgs.
    >>
    >> jj
    >>

    > Well, I did ride to Timbuctoo and right through it without even knowing
    > it. There was supposed to be an old Wells Fargo bank according to a
    > friend of mine, but none in sight. I rode to the next town, Smartville
    > or Smartsville and they told me that I had just rode through Timbuctoo.
    > 4 shacks that I wouldn't keep my dog in (If I had one) and that was the
    > town. 50 miles of riding and getting lost in the backwoods and that was
    > all it was. I will put some pictures up after I get off of here. They
    > will be at www.syix.com/bbaka/timbuctoo/index.htm in one big folder.
    > give me a half hour and they will be up there.
    > Too bad they didn't keep the town up as a landmark or something but it
    > is ready to be bulldozed now, just junk cars and 4 welfare cases. I was
    > hoping to find someplace to play with a metal detector (friend with car
    > and metal detector).
    > That was my ride, a 50 mile zig zag, paved, gravel, mud, one condemned
    > bridge to walk over and a lot of big semis blowing my hair out of place.
    > I gave up keeping it combed years ago since two miles of riding and I
    > look like I just got out of bed anyway. Maybe a buzz cut, then no comb
    > problems.
    > Bill Baka

    Small problem since I changed, unwillingly, to Windows XP from 2000 Pro
    I can't upload binaries and don't have an el cheapo HTML editor on here
    yet. I have 6 pictures of the town that wasn't but can't get them up
    there tonight.
    Maybe tomorrow.
    Bill Baka

  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    b_baka wrote:

    > Small problem since I changed, unwillingly, to Windows XP from 2000 Pro
    > I can't upload binaries and don't have an el cheapo HTML editor on here
    > yet.

    You must have purchased the only version of Windows ever made that
    didn't include notepad and ftp.

  7. b_baka

    b_baka Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > b_baka wrote:
    >
    >> Small problem since I changed, unwillingly, to Windows XP from 2000
    >> Pro I can't upload binaries and don't have an el cheapo HTML editor on
    >> here yet.

    > You must have purchased the only version of Windows ever made that
    > didn't include notepad and ftp.

    It has ftp under the DOS box but my ISP doesn't buy it for some reason.
    I set prompt to off, binary on, all the right stuff, but no go. It logs
    in but only lets me do a mkdir and change to that but no uploads.
    Ghost in the system?
    Notepad does HTML?
    I have editors but haven't installed them yet and don't want to write
    something from scratch (read lazy).
    Bill Baka