A rival for Bruyneel

helmutRoole2 said:
That's true. He'll also have the best team -- at least on paper -- in North America.

It'll be interesting seeing them butt heads with Slipstream next year.

helmutRoole2 said:
That's true. He'll also have the best team -- at least on paper -- in North America.
Strong contenders definitely but I doubt that they'll be racing as a team tho. It's going to be everyone for himself.

I wonder if WADA/UCI will target test them. I'd bet they will. I wouldn't be surprised to see some positive tests coming out of N. America this year. Right now they almost never test. LeoGrande tested positive at crit nats but I believe the B test came up negative. I'd bet he was later target tested him at Super Week.

Thing is, you know the UCI won't be over here investigating (as opposed to testing), so HGH and blood doping are certainly options. Insulin too. The team bus could be a rolling blood bank.

earth_dweller said:
Strong contenders definitely but I doubt that they'll be racing as a team tho. It's going to be everyone for himself.
Why do you say that? There's enough Tour de fill in the blank's in N. America right now for them to split the season amongst their two big GC threats: Hamilton and Botero. At Philly week, they'll work as a team and could dominate. If they find a way to dope, they'll destroy everyone. I mean, make no mistake, these are super talented riders and they know how to dope. That's a deadly combination.

helmutRoole2 said:
I wonder if WADA/UCI will target test them. I'd bet they will. I wouldn't be surprised to see some positive tests coming out of N. America this year. Right now they almost never test. LeoGrande tested positive at crit nats but I believe the B test came up negative. I'd bet he was later target tested him at Super Week.

Thing is, you know the UCI won't be over here investigating (as opposed to testing), so HGH and blood doping are certainly options. Insulin too. The team bus could be a rolling blood bank.
From my understanding very little testing is done at US races, and I don't see it changing. Can't wait to see the welcome Botero, Hamilton et al get from the other racers.

helmutRoole2 said:
Why do you say that? There's enough Tour de fill in the blank's in N. America right now for them to split the season amongst their two big GC threats: Hamilton and Botero. At Philly week, they'll work as a team and could dominate. If they find a way to dope, they'll destroy everyone. I mean, make no mistake, these are super talented riders and they know how to dope. That's a deadly combination.
because I've heard rumors of $$$ attached to winnings - and only for the winning rider and not the team. That certainly does not lead to team work.

Oh yeah a 'ready' Botero and Hamlton can certainly split the races but I just don't see the team working together for them with Ball running the show. I hink this team will win in the beginning and then implode... and then Ball will move on to the next thing.... soccer?

I do agree with you that they are talented riders and also talented at doping - a deadly combination.

earth_dweller said:
because I've heard rumors of $$$ attached to winnings - and only for the winning rider and not the team. That certainly does not lead to team work.

I do agree with you that they are talented riders and also talented at doping - a deadly combination.
They'll find a way to split the winnings. Teams always do.

I'm with you on seeing the reception they get in the US races. I don't think it will be the same protest that you might see in Europe though.

earth_dweller said:
A lot of teams have that and still race collectively. It depends on the strength and focus of the DS. But you've got a point. It could turn into a three ringer.

North American racing is pretty good. This could add some entertainment value.

Was this already posted?

Tuttobici reports an unconfirmed rumour that Cipo too could be riding for Ball in 2008.

italiano said:
Was this already posted?

Tuttobici reports an unconfirmed rumour that Cipo too could be riding for Ball in 2008.
When did you hear that? I've heard that Ball has tried to get him out of retirement, but I don't think he was able.

Wasn't that rumor out awhile ago and then denied by Cipo's people?

edited: should of checked before, but that's what the tuttobici story dated today says.

Ball did say in that original velonews interview that he was going to do something with Cipo eventually though didn't he?

Crankyfeet said:
Ball did say in that original velonews interview that he was going to do something with Cipo eventually though didn't he?
Ball said they were mates... any celeb crossing paths with Ball = mate.

Expect Landis to be riding Missouri with Rock Republic.

Interesting, Andreus and Lemonds are quite close.

earth_dweller said:
Wasn't that rumor out awhile ago and then denied by Cipo's people?

edited: should of checked before, but that's what the tuttobici story dated today says.
The La Gazzetta dello Sport ticker confirms it. Fanini says that he heard it from the people very closed to Mario and that Mario himself will confirm it soon.

"Not so quickly" says Mario's manager in the very latest separate ticker in La Gazzetta.He said there are no contacts at the moment and that Mario will himself announce it if and when.

http://www.gazzetta.it/ultimora/agrnews.jsp?id={BF80DDA8-E5EA-4DFE-084A-3FE62637668D}&cat=ciclismo&sezione=CICLISMO

thunder said:
Ball said they were mates... any celeb crossing paths with Ball = mate.
That sounds about right.

The only way I can see Cipo racing stateside for Ball would be if a large amount of money was paid for a few appearances that would be more like a publicity stunt than being on the team. Paying Cipo to ride California would be a huge PR gain.

Bro Deal said:
That sounds about right.

The only way I can see Cipo racing stateside for Ball would be if a large amount of money was paid for a few appearances that would be more like a publicity stunt than being on the team. Paying Cipo to ride California would be a huge PR gain.
for cycling folks.

and cycling folks wont shell out 250 bucks for jeans they can buy for 100.

Cipo would be a good ego boost for Ball.

But he is basically saying, **** this sport, all I care about is winning, I do not care if they are clean. Atleast most teams put on a pretense of clean status. Ball has just abrogated any doubt that he gives a hoot.

*******. Tell him to ******** to professional wrestling. We do not need money if you treat the sport like chattel. He would be great for the sport if he brought those guys back, gave them a second chance, and instituted an anti-doping program like ACE, and told them, "yes, I know what it is like in Europe, this is not Europe, this is stateside, you get your results clean, or don't get results. No doping folks".

But Ball just spits in our faces.

This is what happens when you stick you ugly face in the solarium and have too many face peels and hobnob with the hollywood celebrities, you begin to believe your own ********.

Yes...the sport of cycling is like a cheap hooker at the moment...happy to take any customer that has the cash.

thunder said:
and cycling folks wont shell out 250 bucks for jeans they can buy for 100.
They won't? It must be very different down there in Australia.