a roadie I am NOT

Clydesdalemtb

Guest
Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.

Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr. Moving
average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.

I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

>Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.
>
>Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
>20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
>

>I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

I like that 45.6 max, though. That must have gotten the blood pumping - and made you happy
for disks.

-Andrew

On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:55:43 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:

>Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.
>
>Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
>20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
>

>I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

Nice Max. I can say I've never been there

Peace, Bill

:-]

Andrew Thorne wrote:
>I said:
>>I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!
> I like that 45.6 max, though.

That was downhill, with a brisk tail-wind, full tuck (chin over the front of my bars) drafting
behind a Ford Escort... You should have seen the look in the drivers face when they saw my in thier
rear-view mirror ;-)

> That must have gotten the blood pumping - and made you happy for disks.

Disc brakes: Mmmm, Mmmm GOOOOOOODDDDD!

Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 13:55:43 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.
> >
> >Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
> >20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> > Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
> >

> >I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!
> >

> Nice Max. I can say I've never been there

Me either - 38.1 mph on the heavy BASE beast bike, past a queue of stationary traffic, and that got
me some looks.

Shaun aRe

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Andrew Thorne wrote:
> >I said:
> >>I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!
> > I like that 45.6 max, though.
>
> That was downhill, with a brisk tail-wind, full tuck (chin over the front of my bars) drafting
> behind a Ford Escort... You should have seen the look in the drivers face when they saw my in
> thier rear-view mirror
;-)

> > That must have gotten the blood pumping - and made you happy for disks.
>
> Disc brakes: Mmmm, Mmmm GOOOOOOODDDDD!

Fskn speed freak.

Shaun aRe

I road-ride before and after the MTB season opens up here.

My "short" ride is 48km (30 miles), and takes me about 2 hours total time - non-stop. My road
record is 64km (40miles) in 2 1/2 hours. I know, not all that fast. But heck, I'm just a 44 yo
fart, so I'm happy!

BUT I don't think I've EVER gotten to 45mph on my road bike!!!! YIKES! I think the fastest I've ever
gone is about 56kph, which is just under 30mph (I think).

But, now that MTB season is in full swing...

My "short" ride is about 37km, which takes me about 2-1/4 to 2 1/2 hours (depending on the
conditions) - I usually do this one non-stop.

My "regular" ride is 48km which takes me up to 3 -1/2 hours (again, depending on conditions) - I
take a break at the 30km mark (whereever I am).

My ride is probably about 50% uphill, with a few "steepies". "Technical" (singletrack, rocks, roots,
mud) ranges between 60-85%, depending which route I take.

> Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.
>
> Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
> 20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
>

> I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.
>
> Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
> 20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
>

> I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

What were you, climbing Mt. Washington or something? /s

ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
> Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along my way.
>
> Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
> 20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
>

> I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!

I hate it when GPS glitches like that.. I had one reading on mine that said I'd done a max speed of
650 mph.. <Chortle>

Gyp

supabonbon <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along
> > my way.
> >
> > Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
> > 20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> > Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
> >

> > I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!
>
> What were you, climbing Mt. Washington or something? /s

now that's a bike ride i would like to try.
--
~Travis

Gyp <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> ClydesdaleMTB wrote:
> > Took a ride into Concord today on the Beer'Cross.... Got passed by 3 "real" roadies along
> > my way.
> >
> > Just to give the rea; rideis somehting to snicker at... According to the GPS:
> > 20.55 Miles total mileage 1hr, 55 minutes moving time 21 minutes stopped time Max: 45.6Mi/Hr.
> > Moving average: 10.7 Mi./Hr.
> >

> > I'm not worthy of my own bike!!!!!!!
> >

> I hate it when GPS glitches like that.. I had one reading on mine that said I'd done a max speed
> of 650 mph.. <Chortle>
>
> Gyp

Damn, now that's fast ;-)
--
~Travis

"Captain Adventure" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:sF1Da.4567$Q%[email protected]...
> BUT I don't think I've EVER gotten to 45mph on my road bike!!!! YIKES! I think the fastest I've
> ever gone is about 56kph, which is just under 30mph (I think).

No bragging, no BS, I hit 54 (confirmed by other techno-weenies with computers) coming off of
Shalona, the first big climb up to Purgatory. We had a tail wind, it was one of Durango's famous
Tuesday nite rides, we were the "slow" B group. All I could think of was "If I go down, I'm going to
slide a long way, then hit something very hard and very fast, or get run over by something coming up
the hill." We got to the flats, I was still behind the main pack, didn't catch the draft, and they
dropped me like I was standing still.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

supabonbon wrote:

> What were you, climbing Mt. Washington or something?

Next year, if I have the $$$, I';d like to do it "officially" not to say I have done, or would do it
any _other_ way ;-)

I hope to ride the Kancamagus Highway (google it) in August, before I leave for TN.

Craig Brossman wrote:
>>Fskn speed freak.

> Why else does one ride a road bike?

The trails are too wet to ride and my wrists shoulderships and knees are sore from falling down from
trying to learn to ride my unicycle.

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> While my regular ride is out of commission due to a dead rear hub, I put
my
> '93 Trek back into action. It has been a commuter for 5 years now, serving that job rather well.
> Old DX 7 speed, canti. brakes, very old RS Judy up front. The shock is very outdated and I have
> the preload set pretty high.
> really don't want much action up there. I rode one of my local trails yesterday on my 970 steel
> hard tail. Here are a few observations. DX was great stuff back in '93 and still is today. The
> shifting is superb, the cranks are nice, brakes stop and modulate well. (One note on canti brakes,
> they may work just as well as V's, but they are really a pain in
the
> butt to get the pads aligned with the rims.) I like the feel of the bike on the climbs, but I had
> to be a little more active over the rougher stuff than I am normally on the full suspension ride.
> Maybe I've gotten lazy. Coming down was a different story, I felt like I had quicker handling, but
> the vibration at speed got annoying. The front shock was probably the primary cause, but no rear
> suspension made it harder to hold my line when the trail got rocky. All in all, I did like the
> change of pace, and see myself riding this bike more often. I am still considering a conversion to
> SS, but right now it is satisfactory as a geared bike. I will replace the front shock with the
> original steel fork and I may throw some old V's on as well, just to make setup easier.
>
> If you have "upgraded" to a new ride in the last few years, consider
dusting
> off the bike it replaced and giving it a spin. You just might be suprised,
> know I was.
>
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

Good reminder. Good stuff doesn't really become junk just because something better comes along.
Heck, even LP's still sound pretty good.

Sorni <[email protected]> spoke thusly...
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> >
> > > Me either - 38.1 mph on the heavy BASE beast bike, past a queue of stationary traffic, and
> > > that got me some looks.
> >
> > I hit 70 km/h last year off road - that's about 43/44 mph.
>
> Travis?!?

no, not me, my front derailleur and shifter is having issues where it makes lots of noise if i shift
the back past the 5th cog (if i adjust the cable tension it messes up shifting, and i tried the high
limit screw). the fastest i can do is about 28 before i spin out.
--
~Travis

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Captain Adventure" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:sF1Da.4567$Q%[email protected]...
> > BUT I don't think I've EVER gotten to 45mph on my road bike!!!! YIKES! I think the fastest I've
> > ever gone is about 56kph, which is just under
30mph
> > (I think).
> >

> No bragging, no BS, I hit 54 (confirmed by other techno-weenies with computers) coming off of
> Shalona, the first big climb up to Purgatory. We had a tail wind, it was one of Durango's famous
> Tuesday nite rides, we
were
> the "slow" B group.

Yeah, the ride I took last week with one other guy, we hit 43 or so, and we didn't have any big
hills. Combo of a little downhill and a lotta pedalling ;) Definitely was kinda sketchy - 3rd time
on the road bike!

He said when the group ride hits the larger hills, their top speed is usuallly about 52 or so.
Scary ****.

> All I could think of was "If I go down, I'm going to slide a long way,
then
> hit something very hard and very fast, or get run over by something coming up the hill." We got to
> the flats, I was still behind the main pack, didn't catch the draft, and they dropped me like I
> was standing still.
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

Jon Bond

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:32:10 GMT, "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>No bragging, no BS, I hit 54 (confirmed by other techno-weenies with computers) coming off of
>Shalona, the first big climb up to Purgatory.

I've hit 57 on a mountain bike, on the Jiminy Peak access road in MA. My road bike record is 56.

Keep in mind that my weight fluctuates between 220 and 240. Clydesdales go DOWN hills like
bowling balls!

Barry