A rough Itinerary

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Westie, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. Westie

    Westie Guest

    OK, have done a little bit of research and I have a better
    idea of what I'm planning to do. Can anyone give me an
    opinion about this plan?

    I'll fly into LA at the start of September and jump on a
    tour for a couple of weeks. That'll satisfy my initial
    tourist tendencies. When that finishes I'll go from LA to
    Denver and then have three (maybe four) weeks to go riding.

    I'll be on my own and I intend to be pretty casual and go
    where whim takes me, staying a few days here and a few days
    there. I'd rather not pin myself down with transport and
    accommodation bookings. Whatever I do I have to be back in
    Denver for my flight out.

    From Denver I head along the I70 to Grand Junction/
    Fruita/Moab spending time in places like Breckenridge etc. I
    expect I'll hit Moab in the last week of September. Once
    I've done that I'll take the I50 to Salida stopping at
    Gunnison and Crested Butte on the way. I think that I'll
    skip Durango at this stage. From there I'll head to Colorado
    Springs and back to Denver.

    I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.
    Likewise with accommodation. Budget, backpackers or B&B
    stuff that I can find when I arrive in a town and that I
    don't have to book.

    The only wrench in the works that I can think of at the
    moment are a lack of accommodation, and long distances to
    trailheads from my accommodation. Does anyone know off-
    hand about the availability of accommodation in places
    like Moab and Fruita in mid-September? How busy is it
    likely to be? Is getting from hotel to trailheads going to
    be a problem anywhere?

    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > OK, have done a little bit of research and I have a better
    > idea of what I'm planning to do. Can anyone give me an
    > opinion about this plan?
    >
    > I'll fly into LA at the start of September and jump on
    > a tour for a couple of weeks. That'll satisfy my
    > initial tourist tendencies. When that finishes I'll go
    > from LA to Denver and then have three (maybe four)
    > weeks to go riding.
    >
    > I'll be on my own and I intend to be pretty casual and go
    > where whim takes me, staying a few days here and a few
    > days there. I'd rather not pin myself down with transport
    > and accommodation bookings. Whatever I do I have to be
    > back in Denver for my flight out.
    >
    > From Denver I head along the I70 to Grand Junction/
    > Fruita/Moab spending time in places like Breckenridge etc.
    > I expect I'll hit Moab in the last week of September. Once
    > I've done that I'll take the I50 to Salida stopping at
    > Gunnison and Crested Butte on the way. I think that I'll
    > skip Durango at this stage. From there I'll head to
    > Colorado Springs and back to Denver.
    >
    > I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    > can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.
    > Likewise with accommodation. Budget, backpackers or B&B
    > stuff that I can find when I arrive in a town and that I
    > don't have to book.
    >
    > The only wrench in the works that I can think of at the
    > moment are a lack of accommodation, and long distances to
    > trailheads from my accommodation. Does anyone know off-
    > hand about the availability of accommodation in places
    > like Moab and Fruita in mid-September? How busy is it
    > likely to be? Is getting from hotel to trailheads going to
    > be a problem anywhere?

    Why wouldn't you want to rent/hire a car? You can get pretty
    decent weekly rates if you do some research. For $25 you can
    join AAA here in the states and get a very nice discount at
    Hertz. I had a Mazda 6 for $129 a week. It'll cost you more
    for shuttle/bus services and they are few and far between
    with strange schedules. You could also use the car to take
    you to campsites (if you have gear) which could also save
    you some $$$. Additionally, you can rent a small conversion
    van which has sleeping quarters for about $250 a week. Then
    you don't have to worry about finding a hotel/motel.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > Why wouldn't you want to rent/hire a car? You can get
    > pretty decent weekly rates if you do some research. For
    > $25 you can join AAA here in the states and get a very
    > nice discount at Hertz. I had a Mazda 6 for $129 a week.
    > It'll cost you more for shuttle/bus services and they are
    > few and far between with strange schedules. You could also
    > use the car to take you to campsites (if you have gear)
    > which could also save you some $$$. Additionally, you can
    > rent a small conversion van which has sleeping quarters
    > for about $250 a week. Then you don't have to worry about
    > finding a hotel/motel.

    I guess I'm thinking cheap and easy. I doubt that I'll be
    camping as I don't want to bring gear with me from NZ and
    lug it around for two weeks before I use it. I don't really
    want to buy gear there either. Security for property is also
    a consideration while I'm out on the trails. I hadn't
    considered the car/van options before; you've now given me
    something more to think about.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  4. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Westie wrote:
    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >>Why wouldn't you want to rent/hire a car? You can get
    >>pretty decent weekly rates if you do some research. For
    >>$25 you can join AAA here in the states and get a very
    >>nice discount at Hertz. I had a Mazda 6 for $129 a week.
    >>It'll cost you more for shuttle/bus services and they are
    >>few and far between with strange schedules. You could also
    >>use the car to take you to campsites (if you have gear)
    >>which could also save you some $$$. Additionally, you can
    >>rent a small conversion van which has sleeping quarters
    >>for about $250 a week. Then you don't have to worry about
    >>finding a hotel/motel.
    >

    > I guess I'm thinking cheap and easy. I doubt that I'll be
    > camping as I don't want to bring gear with me from NZ and
    > lug it around for two weeks before I use it. I don't
    > really want to buy gear there either. Security for
    > property is also a consideration while I'm out on the
    > trails. I hadn't considered the car/van options before;
    > you've now given me something more to think about.

    Screw the California tour. Rent a car and us Californian's
    will set you up with a good itinerary before you head east.
    For a non-riding itinerary I'd do something like head up the
    coast through Big Sur and up to San Francisco. Then over to
    Tahoe and down to Yosemite, and then on to Colorado. If you
    can spend more time in Calif extend that up to Redwoods Natl
    Park. And in LA proper I'd be happy to give you a tour of
    the local sights.

    Greg

  5. "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    > can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.

    What are you, some kind of communist?

    CC

  6. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Westie <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    > can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.
    > Likewise with accommodation. Budget, backpackers or B&B
    > stuff that I can find when I arrive in a town and that I
    > don't have to book.
    >
    > The only wrench in the works that I can think of at the
    > moment are a lack of accommodation, and long distances to
    > trailheads from my accommodation. Does anyone know off-
    > hand about the availability of accommodation in places
    > like Moab and Fruita in mid-September? How busy is it
    > likely to be? Is getting from hotel to trailheads going to
    > be a problem anywhere?

    Local bus service rarely exists outside metorpolitan areas.
    Based on your itinerary, I can't imagine not having a car.
    The assumption of bus service might be a bit of a stretch
    particularly in the CO destinations you are planning to hit.
    You can probably find decent accomodation in most places,
    but getting from point A to point B without a car is going
    to be tough. Likewise, you might want to check the mileage
    scales between LA and CO. Youre talking a 15-20 hour drive
    from LA to Denver by car. Longer by bus. Getting from hotel
    to trailhead without a car is going to be nearly impossible
    unless you plan on riding your bike.

    car." Like it or not, its how we get around, particularly in
    the western states. On a brighter note, car rentals tend to
    be cheaper in the US than in other parts of the world. It
    will have to be included in a budget, but it might not be as
    bad as you imagine.

    Tom

  7. Pas

    Pas Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    > Westie wrote:
    >> OK, have done a little bit of research and I have a
    >> better idea of what I'm planning to do. Can anyone give
    >> me an opinion about this plan?
    >>
    >> I'll fly into LA at the start of September and jump on a
    >> tour for a couple of weeks. That'll satisfy my initial
    >> tourist tendencies. When that finishes I'll go from LA to
    >> Denver and then have three (maybe four) weeks to go
    >> riding.
    >>
    >> I'll be on my own and I intend to be pretty casual and go
    >> where whim takes me, staying a few days here and a few
    >> days there. I'd rather not pin myself down with transport
    >> and accommodation bookings. Whatever I do I have to be
    >> back in Denver for my flight out.
    >>
    >> From Denver I head along the I70 to Grand Junction/
    >> Fruita/Moab spending time in places like Breckenridge
    >> etc. I expect I'll hit Moab in the last week of
    >> September. Once I've done that I'll take the I50 to
    >> Salida stopping at Gunnison and Crested Butte on the way.
    >> I think that I'll skip Durango at this stage. From there
    >> I'll head to Colorado Springs and back to Denver.
    >>
    >> I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    >> can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.
    >> Likewise with accommodation. Budget, backpackers or B&B
    >> stuff that I can find when I arrive in a town and that I
    >> don't have to book.
    >>
    >> The only wrench in the works that I can think of at the
    >> moment are a lack of accommodation, and long distances to
    >> trailheads from my accommodation. Does anyone know off-
    >> hand about the availability of accommodation in places
    >> like Moab and Fruita in mid-September? How busy is it
    >> likely to be? Is getting from hotel to trailheads going
    >> to be a problem anywhere?
    >
    > Why wouldn't you want to rent/hire a car? You can get
    > pretty decent weekly rates if you do some research. For
    > $25 you can join AAA here in the states and get a very
    > nice discount at Hertz. I had a Mazda 6 for $129 a week.
    > It'll cost you more for shuttle/bus services and they are
    > few and far between with strange schedules. You could also
    > use the car to take you to campsites (if you have gear)
    > which could also save you some $$$. Additionally, you can
    > rent a small conversion van which has sleeping quarters
    > for about $250 a week. Then you don't have to worry about
    > finding a hotel/motel.

    What he's really trying to say is that pulbic transportation
    in the US can really suck.

    Penny

  8. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 5 Jun 2004 06:33:29 -0700, [email protected] (Corvus Corvax)
    blathered:

    >> I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    >> can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.

    And remember to turn onto the wrong side of the road at the
    first junction after you come off I70. It would be difficult
    to do a trip within your time limit, without a car, where
    you did much riding other than plugging along roads from one
    location to the next. CC is right.

    I did a 3 week Moab/Colorado trip in 2001, late Sept/early
    Oct. Best part was Durango, Fruita and especially Crested
    Butte. The stuff I did at these places, inevitably an
    exercise in cherry picking given time constraints, was not
    hugely technical but still very enjoyable riding. I would
    like to return to this area for a longer trip one day.
    Altitude is a factor to bear in mind. Moab was a
    disappointment on most levels.

    Many towns (e.g. Durango) have campsites nearby analagous
    to the $5 DoC campsites in NZ - basic but adequate, with an
    honesty box. There does not seem to be the backpacker
    hostel style network you will be familiar with from NZ,
    although Crested Butte does have one such place, $20/night,
    that is pleasant.

    Pete

  9. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:04:34 +1200, "Westie"
    <[email protected]> blathered:

    >OK, have done a little bit of research and I have a better
    >idea of what I'm planning to do. Can anyone give me an
    >opinion about this plan?

    Back, for a limited time only: http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/USA-
    mtb/

    >I'll fly into LA at the start of September and jump on a
    >tour for a couple of weeks. That'll satisfy my initial
    >tourist tendencies. When that finishes I'll go from LA to
    >Denver and then have three (maybe four) weeks to go riding.
    >
    >I'll be on my own and I intend to be pretty casual and go
    >where whim takes me, staying a few days here and a few days
    >there. I'd rather not pin myself down with transport and
    >accommodation bookings. Whatever I do I have to be back in
    >Denver for my flight out.
    >
    >From Denver I head along the I70 to Grand Junction/
    >Fruita/Moab spending time in places like Breckenridge etc.
    >I expect I'll hit Moab in the last week of September. Once
    >I've done that I'll take the I50 to Salida stopping at
    >Gunnison and Crested Butte on the way. I think that I'll
    >skip Durango at this stage. From there I'll head to
    >Colorado Springs and back to Denver.
    >
    >I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    >can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.
    >Likewise with accommodation. Budget, backpackers or B&B
    >stuff that I can find when I arrive in a town and that I
    >don't have to book.
    >
    >The only wrench in the works that I can think of at the
    >moment are a lack of accommodation, and long distances to
    >trailheads from my accommodation. Does anyone know off-hand
    >about the availability of accommodation in places like Moab
    >and Fruita in mid-September? How busy is it likely to be?
    >Is getting from hotel to trailheads going to be a problem
    >anywhere?

    Pete

  10. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > car."

    Yep, due to the greedy capitalist oil and auto industry
    lobbying the commie public transportation infrastructure out
    of existence here in the West back in the 40s we're stuck
    with a worthless 300 yard subway that cost 78 billion
    dollars to build here in LA. The only city's public
    transportation that survived in California was San
    Francisco.

    Greg

  11. Westie

    Westie Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > Westie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >> I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that I
    >> can use and that I can use without having to book ahead.
    >> Likewise with accommodation. Budget, backpackers or B&B
    >> stuff that I can find when I arrive in a town and that I
    >> don't have to book.
    >>
    >> The only wrench in the works that I can think of at the
    >> moment are a lack of accommodation, and long distances to
    >> trailheads from my accommodation. Does anyone know off-
    >> hand about the availability of accommodation in places
    >> like Moab and Fruita in mid-September? How busy is it
    >> likely to be? Is getting from hotel to trailheads going
    >> to be a problem anywhere?
    >
    > Local bus service rarely exists outside metorpolitan
    > areas. Based on your itinerary, I can't imagine not having
    > a car. The assumption of bus service might be a bit of a
    > stretch particularly in the CO destinations you are
    > planning to hit. You can probably find decent accomodation
    > in most places, but getting from point A to point B
    > without a car is going to be tough. Likewise, you might
    > want to check the mileage scales between LA and CO. Youre
    > talking a 15-20 hour drive from LA to Denver by car.
    > Longer by bus. Getting from hotel to trailhead without a
    > car is going to be nearly impossible unless you plan on
    > riding your bike.

    I'm planning on flying into, and out of, Denver. Distances
    to trailheads is important. I wasn't sure if I could just
    bike a few miles or would need a car.

    > To reiterate what Corvus said. "This is America, boy.
    > You rent a

    > the western states. On a brighter note, car rentals tend
    > to be cheaper in the US than in other parts of the world.
    > It will have to be included in a budget, but it might not
    > be as bad as you imagine.

    I'll start checking prices.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  12. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:
    > On 5 Jun 2004 06:33:29 -0700, [email protected]
    > (Corvus Corvax) blathered:
    >
    >>> I'm assuming that there are plenty of bus services that
    >>> I can use and that I can use without having to book
    >>> ahead.

    <grin>

    > And remember to turn onto the wrong side of the road at
    > the first junction after you come off I70. It would be
    > difficult to do a trip within your time limit, without a
    > car, where you did much riding other than plugging along
    > roads from one location to the next. CC is right.

    I'm really don't want to try to drive in the bigger cities
    but I guess where I'm going it should be OK. I thought that
    there would be a better transport network - buses or
    something scooting regularly between towns. Looks like a
    car is it.

    > I did a 3 week Moab/Colorado trip in 2001, late Sept/early
    > Oct. Best part was Durango, Fruita and especially Crested
    > Butte. The stuff I did at these places, inevitably an
    > exercise in cherry picking given time constraints, was not
    > hugely technical but still very enjoyable riding. I would
    > like to return to this area for a longer trip one day.
    > Altitude is a factor to bear in mind. Moab was a
    > disappointment on most levels.

    I've considered altitude. I'm coming from sea level here in
    NZ too. I'm not sure how much of a problem it will be and I
    can't see that I can avoid
    it.

    > Many towns (e.g. Durango) have campsites nearby analagous
    > to the $5 DoC campsites in NZ - basic but adequate, with
    > an honesty box. There does not seem to be the backpacker
    > hostel style network you will be familiar with from NZ,
    > although Crested Butte does have one such place,
    > $20/night, that is pleasant.

    I take it that you travelled with camping gear? I've got
    camping gear but figured it would be a hassle dragging it
    around on aeroplanes. Any suggestions, like buy the tent
    there or something?
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  13. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 15:04:34 +1200, "Westie"
    > <[email protected]> blathered:
    >
    >> OK, have done a little bit of research and I have a
    >> better idea of what I'm planning to do. Can anyone give
    >> me an opinion about this plan?
    >
    > Back, for a limited time only: http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/USA-
    > mtb/

    Nice. It answered quite a few of my questions. And it gives
    me confidence to see that someone-else has done it before me
    and lived to tell the tale. Thanks for posting that.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  14. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > car."
    >
    > Yep, due to the greedy capitalist oil and auto industry
    > lobbying the commie public transportation infrastructure
    > out of existence here in the West back in the 40s we're
    > stuck with a worthless 300 yard subway that cost 78
    > billion dollars to build here in LA. The only city's
    > public transportation that survived in California was San
    > Francisco.
    >
    > Greg

    San Jose, but San Diego isn't bad either. MUNI sucks.

  15. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:

    > Back, for a limited time only: http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/USA-
    > mtb/
    >

    > Pete

    Classic: "I believe each passenger should just be allowed a
    'total weight' allowance - you AND your bags. So if you're a
    fat bastard - you have to pay excess lardage. Sounds
    eminently sensible to me."

    ROTFLMAO
    --
    Slacker

  16. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Westie wrote:

    > I'm really don't want to try to drive in the bigger cities
    > but I guess where I'm going it should be OK.

    Don't sweat it... it's not that big of a deal. We (Los
    Angeles) probably have the largest population of idiot
    drivers anywhere. Just yesterday: I was driving down the
    street with one of those idiot Harley moto riders next to
    me. The bonehead whips out a cell (one hand on the
    handlebar) and starts dialing. All this while attempted a
    lane change without looking. The dumb ass almost side swiped
    a car that was in the lane he tried to go into.

    I have to confess, I did experience intense, perverse
    pleasure from the above scene. I hate, hate, hate
    Harleys and the sorry wretches that ride the obnoxious
    pieces of crap.

    --
    Slacker

  17. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > I have to confess, I did experience intense, perverse
    > pleasure from the above scene. I hate, hate, hate
    > Harleys and the sorry wretches that ride the obnoxious
    > pieces of crap.

    Well, you'll be pleased to hear this story then. A friend of
    mine was heading down to a Motorcycle Rally a couple of days
    ago. He left late and it was dark with a full moon.

    He tried to outrace a cop. He flicked the lights off and
    used the light of the moon to see. His old Harley promptly
    blew up as he hit the gas so the chase was over before it
    started. He ended up with a $550 fine for his troubles and
    was stuck in the middle of nowhere in the dark in wet, cold
    sleet waiting for the tow-truck the cop called in for.

    He also owes another mate a few beers because he had to
    travel 400 miles and back in an equally old Chevy pickup to
    go get him and the bike.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  18. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Westie wrote:

    > Slacker wrote:
    >
    >>I have to confess, I did experience intense, perverse
    >>pleasure from the above scene. I hate, hate, hate
    >>Harleys and the sorry wretches that ride the obnoxious
    >>pieces of crap.
    >

    > Well, you'll be pleased to hear this story then. A friend
    > of mine was heading down to a Motorcycle Rally a couple of
    > days ago. He left late and it was dark with a full moon.
    >
    > He tried to outrace a cop. He flicked the lights off and
    > used the light of the moon to see. His old Harley
    > promptly blew up as he hit the gas so the chase was over
    > before it started. He ended up with a $550 fine for his
    > troubles and was stuck in the middle of nowhere in the
    > dark in wet, cold sleet waiting for the tow-truck the cop
    > called in for.
    >
    > He also owes another mate a few beers because he had to
    > travel 400 miles and back in an equally old Chevy pickup
    > to go get him and the bike.

    Send your friend my, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

    A police chase in sleepy NZ ?? How can that be... what did
    he do, steal some farmer's sheep? That thing must've
    weighed a ton after it go all wet. Maybe that's what blew
    the engine??

    --
    Slacker

  19. Westie

    Westie Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    >> He also owes another mate a few beers because he had to
    >> travel 400 miles and back in an equally old Chevy pickup
    >> to go get him and the bike.
    >

    > Send your friend my, HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
    >
    > A police chase in sleepy NZ ?? How can that be... what did
    > he do, steal some farmer's sheep?

    No such luck. I think it was a cow. It was doubly amusing
    because the guys had been discussing tactics just last
    Saturday night at the Pub. They'd decided that the best way
    to deal with a police chase was to turn the lights off and
    put the pedal to the metal. He did exactly as planned.
    Brilliant.

    >That thing must've weighed a ton after it go all wet. Maybe
    >that's what blew the engine??

    I actually think that it might have been him. He's no
    lightweight. Especially in a wet full leathers.

    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  20. On 2004-06-05, Westie penned:

    > I've considered altitude. I'm coming from sea level here
    > in NZ too. I'm not sure how much of a problem it will be
    > and I can't see that I can avoid it.

    Some people handle it better than others, but I think
    conventional wisdom says that it takes a few weeks to fully
    acclimatize -- so when you're huffing and puffing, you will
    have a legitimate excuse =)

    Just make sure you drink a lot of water here in CO -- like,
    an insane amount of water. When my dad came to visit, this
    became a running joke. Every problem he mentioned, I told
    him to drink water. But it's true! Headache, lethargy,
    whatever, it's almost always dehydration. Of course, alcohol
    only makes it worse =/

    --
    monique