A sad day

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Tomlinson, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. After many close shaves, today I got knocked off by a car - a black VW Golf Tdi - for the first time
    in 30+ years cycling man and boy. I was cycling down a quite sub-urban street with cars parked down
    the left hand side of the road when one of these cars decided it was time to do a three point turn.
    He pulled out from his parking space and swung across to the far side of the road and did not stop
    until I rolled over his bonnet. As always there were no witnesses

    I have grazes on my right elbow and a numb right thumb. The Hosptial said nothing was broken and
    they did not know why my thumb was numb; they had a good look at my neck and shoulder but all seems
    OK in that area[1]. All credit to the NHS I was in and out in less than 30 mins and that included a
    tetanous booster. The Police took over 1hr before they would see me to make a statement. I got all
    the drivers details at the scene. He was embarrased rather than apologetic.

    It has written off my little 1970's vintage Claud Bulter 531 frame that I was very attached to. The
    front wheel and forks are bent and the head tube has been bent down and to one side, so there is a
    crease in the top tube. I had just built a back wheel for it that I was very proud off beacause a)
    it was the first time I had built a wheel and b) because I had upgraded a bike with 120mm OLN
    spacing to take a 7 speed cassette on the back. Still it got 3 weeks use which included a 125km CTC
    anniversary ride.

    In memory, here is a photo of the bike taken on the roof of the car in France this spring. Please
    bow your heads :'-(

    http://www.btinternet.com/~john.tomo/KIF_0630.JPG (40KBytes) The plastic bags are because I have a
    brooks pro. saddle.

    I have a photo of the Golfs front wing with a large dent in it but I suppose I should not post that
    as I shall be claiming off this chap.

    [1] numb thumb is a sign of C6 nerve compression I suppose. Remove the singers of Spam
    before replying

    Tags:

  2. Sorry about the bike and your bumps. I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt. I hope plod "does
    something"

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    >After many close shaves, today I got knocked off by a car - a black VW Golf Tdi - for the first
    >time in 30+ years cycling man and boy. I was cycling down a quite sub-urban street with cars parked
    >down the left hand side of the road when one of these cars decided it was time to do a three point
    >turn. He pulled out from his parking space and swung across to the far side of the road and did not
    >stop until I rolled over his bonnet. As always there were no witnesses
    >
    >I have grazes on my right elbow and a numb right thumb. The Hosptial said nothing was broken and
    >they did not know why my thumb was numb; they had a good look at my neck and shoulder but all seems
    >OK in that area[1]. All credit to the NHS I was in and out in less than 30 mins and that included a
    >tetanous booster. The Police took over 1hr before they would see me to make a statement. I got all
    >the drivers details at the scene. He was embarrased rather than apologetic.
    >
    >It has written off my little 1970's vintage Claud Bulter 531 frame that I was very attached to. The
    >front wheel and forks are bent and the head tube has been bent down and to one side, so there is a
    >crease in the top tube. I had just built a back wheel for it that I was very proud off beacause a)
    >it was the first time I had built a wheel and b) because I had upgraded a bike with 120mm OLN
    >spacing to take a 7 speed cassette on the back. Still it got 3 weeks use which included a 125km CTC
    >anniversary ride.

    >In memory, here is a photo of the bike taken on the roof of the car in France this spring. Please
    >bow your heads :'-(

    >http://www.btinternet.com/~john.tomo/KIF_0630.JPG (40KBytes) The plastic bags are because I have a
    >brooks pro. saddle.

    No doubt who's head of the household, looking at this photograph :)

    It could have been anybody at any time..... but you're ok...which is the main thing.

    Hope you can find some kind of a suitable replacement.

    Garry

    >I have a photo of the Golfs front wing with a large dent in it but I suppose I should not post that
    >as I shall be claiming off this chap.
    >
    >[1] numb thumb is a sign of C6 nerve compression I suppose. Remove the singers of Spam before
    > replying

  4. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    John Tomlinson deftly scribbled:

    > After many close shaves, today I got knocked off by a car - a black VW Golf Tdi - for the first
    > time in 30+ years cycling man and boy.

    Commiserations for the bad luck and congratulations on being able to tell the tale.

    Weren't you just a little tired, though, after cycling for 30 years ..

    Sorry, poor attempt at a little humour .. blame Jasper Carrott .. ;)

    > In memory, here is a photo of the bike taken on the roof of the car in France this spring. Please
    > bow your heads :'-(

    Damn shame ..

    --
    Digweed

  5. John Scott

    John Scott Guest

    V sad to hear about your bike and your thumb, I'm glad you didn't have more serious injuries, I
    don't suppose I'll go 30+ yrs without an accident and I doubt if my bike will last as long. I don't
    suppose you can repair it at all ? If there is a slightest chance then it would be worth it.

    Regards John.

    news:[email protected]...

  6. On 19 Jun 2003 20:11:18 GMT, [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:

    >Sorry about the bike and your bumps. I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt. I hope plod "does
    >something"

    Plod said, as there were no witnesses they did not recommend taking it to court, but they would take
    a statement to see if the chap incriminated himself. hey ho....

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  7. On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:18:34 +0100, Garry Broad <[email protected]> wrote:

    >No doubt who's head of the household, looking at this photograph :)

    LOL - actually I put my bike there because I feel it is the most vulnerable place and I would rather
    damage my bike than Anna's or the kids' when driving.

    >It could have been anybody at any time..... but you're ok...which is the main thing.
    >
    >Hope you can find some kind of a suitable replacement.

    In a way the bike cannot be replaced - I have put so much effort into it over the years.Oh And
    thanks to this group for inspiration and help. I am going over to Cambridge at the weekend to view a
    Super Galaxy (2000 vintage) a chap is selling for £350.

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 19:56:37 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:

    Nasty. Glad you're not badly hurt.

    Commiserations from one Butler owner to another on the loss of your faithful steed. One becomes
    attached to bicycles: don't forget to claim extra for sentimental value.

    Guy
    ===

  9. Maf

    Maf Guest

    "John Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > After many close shaves, today I got knocked off by a car - a black VW Golf Tdi - for the first
    > time in 30+ years cycling man and boy. I was cycling down a quite sub-urban street with cars
    > parked down the left hand side of the road when one of these cars decided it was time to do a
    > three point turn. He pulled out from his parking space and swung across to the far side of the
    > road and did not stop until I rolled over his bonnet. As always there were no witnesses
    >
    > I have grazes on my right elbow and a numb right thumb. The Hosptial said nothing was broken and
    > they did not know why my thumb was numb; they had a good look at my neck and shoulder but all
    > seems OK in that area[1]. All credit to the NHS I was in and out in less than 30 mins and that
    > included a tetanous booster. The Police took over 1hr before they would see me to make a
    > statement. I got all the drivers details at the scene. He was embarrased rather than apologetic.
    >
    > It has written off my little 1970's vintage Claud Bulter 531 frame that I was very attached to.
    > The front wheel and forks are bent and the head tube has been bent down and to one side, so there
    > is a crease in the top tube. I had just built a back wheel for it that I was very proud off
    > beacause a) it was the first time I had built a wheel and b) because I had upgraded a bike with
    > 120mm OLN spacing to take a 7 speed cassette on the back. Still it got 3 weeks use which included
    > a 125km CTC anniversary ride.
    >
    > In memory, here is a photo of the bike taken on the roof of the car in France this spring. Please
    > bow your heads :'-(
    >
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~john.tomo/KIF_0630.JPG (40KBytes) The plastic bags are because I have a
    > brooks pro. saddle.

    You are obviously very safety conscious - you have the bicycles lights on, even when they are on the
    bike rack!

    > I have a photo of the Golfs front wing with a large dent in it but I suppose I should not post
    > that as I shall be claiming off this chap.
    >
    > [1] numb thumb is a sign of C6 nerve compression I suppose. Remove the singers of Spam before
    > replying

  10. Ningi

    Ningi Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:

    <snip>
    > I have grazes on my right elbow and a numb right thumb. The Hosptial said nothing was broken and
    > they did not know why my thumb was numb; they had a good look at my neck and shoulder but all
    > seems OK in that area[1].

    <snip>

    Sorry to hear about the accident.

    I lost feeling in 2 of my fingers while cycling in New Zealand, one from a fall and one from too
    much time bashing against the handlebars. It took 2 - 3 months for the feeling to return. I think it
    just means that a nerve has taken a hit and needs to recover (Not a medical opinion there)

    Pete

  11. On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:20:39 +0000 (UTC), "John Scott" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >V sad to hear about your bike and your thumb, I'm glad you didn't have more serious injuries, I
    >don't suppose I'll go 30+ yrs without an accident and I doubt if my bike will last as long. I don't
    >suppose you can repair it at all ? If there is a slightest chance then it would be worth it.

    Both the top tube and the down tube are creased because the head tube has been pushed into a more
    vertical position. A frame builder would have to replace both these tubes, possibly the head tube
    and I suspect the lugs .By the time the frame has been repainted, I think it would be just as cheap
    to have a custom frame built, but I would be happy to be corrected.

    Thanks for everyones concern. I can now feel a little more in my thumb but it is still not right.

  12. On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:15:31 +0100, "maf" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You are obviously very safety conscious - you have the bicycles lights on, even when they are on
    >the bike rack!

    It certainly looks that way, but actually all you are seeing is the reflection of the camera flash
    in the rear reflectors.

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying