A scary experience

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Hjalmar Duklæt, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem was
    almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    Hjalmar

    Tags:

  2. Marty

    Marty Guest

    "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    > some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    > caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

    was
    > almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    > weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    > black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    > Hjalmar

    No. But, I'm glad that it didn't fail on you while you were riding. Now
    you get to think about all the "What if" scenarios. Scary indeed.
    --
    Marty

  3. serg

    serg Guest

    i had a similar experience...but with a seat post. there was a crack coming
    down the post from where the bracket that holds the saddle got inserted into
    the post. it expanded quite fast too! it was an old seat post but man! it
    would've sucked to have to ride standing up on the pedals all the way home!
    i'm glad u found it!

  4. "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've had som squeacking noice coming from
    > the front of my bike for quite
    > some time but have not been able to figure out
    > where it came from or what
    > caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently
    > discovered that the stem was
    > almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the
    > entire stem along the
    > weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an
    > ovalized shape and a matte
    > black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything
    > like this?

    Not with a stem but with handlebars and also with a frame. In the case
    of the bars I heard a creating for a few days and pulled the bars from
    the stem in order to lug them, and then noticed a crack.

    In the case of the frame I heard a clunking for several weeks before I
    found the problem.

    JT

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    > some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    > caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem was
    > almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    > weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    > black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?

    Yeah, I had a Nitto quill stem fail that way last year. AT least with quill
    stems the expander bolt holds things together (for a while anyway). Moral of
    the story is that it pays to track down suspicious noises promptly (I didn't
    notice any noise from mine, BTW).

  6. psycholist

    psycholist Guest

    "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    > some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    > caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

    was
    > almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    > weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    > black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    > Hjalmar

    I had a Deda quill stem where I apparently over-torqued the bolts on the bar
    clamp. They decided to stip out ... simultaneously ... just as I was
    jumping on the pedals to catch a gap between cars crossing a busy highway.
    I ended up in a ditch on the other side with a set of handlebars in my
    hands, connected to a bike by cables only. I was lucky not to end up a
    bloody spot on the pavement. I acknowledge that I over-torqued the bolts,
    but those Deda stems were made from some awfully soft material.

    Bob C.

  7. jmm

    jmm New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2003
    > ...Cracks...Not with a stem but with handlebars...

    I occasionally read the little pieces of paper that come packed with various bike parts. It seems that more than one of the aluminum handlebars I've bought in the last few years has come with a warning that they should be replaced ever 2 years or so. It has to do with fatigue limits, or lack thereof with aluminum. Yeah, like we're really all going to start doing that, right?

    John

  8. RE/
    >Moral of
    >the story is that it pays to track down suspicious noises promptly

    Amen! I rode for about an hour with this funny sound coming from my cranks.
    Sort of a 'whoosh-whoosh'......thought it was one of my shoes rubbing....stopped
    a couple times, didn't see anything.

    Then I stopped at a friends house for some free coffee and BS-ing. As I stood
    up to stroke out of the driveway, the right crank arm just fell away...broken in
    half...

    Subsequent inspection of the break showed corrosion around the edges - so if I'd
    had my act together I could have spotted it some days before the failure.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  9. "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    > some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    > caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

    was
    > almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    > weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    > black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    > Hjalmar

    This is the stem I'm talking about. It looks very solid indeed so it was
    never in my mind that it could break.The crack started at the bottom of the
    stem right in front of the welding to the bolt and moved up 3/4 of the way
    to the top before it was discovered.
    Hjalmar

  10. "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    > > some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or

    what
    > > caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

    > was
    > > almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    > > weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a

    matte
    > > black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    > > Hjalmar
    > >

    > This is the stem I'm talking about. It looks very solid indeed so it was
    > never in my mind that it could break.The crack started at the bottom of

    the
    > stem right in front of the welding to the bolt and moved up 3/4 of the way
    > to the top before it was discovered.
    > Hjalmar

    Sorry forgot to include the URL. Here it is:
    http://www.roadbikereview.com/Stems/CODA/PRD_110977_2515crx.aspx

  11. "> I had a Deda quill stem where I apparently over-torqued the bolts
    on the bar
    > clamp. They decided to stip out ... simultaneously ... just as I was
    > jumping on the pedals to catch a gap between cars crossing a busy highway.
    > I ended up in a ditch on the other side with a set of handlebars in my
    > hands, connected to a bike by cables only. I was lucky not to end up a
    > bloody spot on the pavement. I acknowledge that I over-torqued the bolts...

    So much for my own whining/ranting in the MTB NG about Thompson's
    instructions specifing torques for their stems and implying possible
    dire consequences if not followed.

    You've made me into a True Believer vis-a-vis following torque specs.

  12. "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    >some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    >caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem was
    >almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    >weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    >black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    >Hjalmar

    That stem (or one that looks just like it) was recalled, though for a
    thread stripping problem like the Dedas mentioned in this thread, not
    for cracking like you saw). See
    http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/pdfs/99_stemquill.pdf

    Thanks for this thread... I just rememebered that I kept tightening my
    chainring bolts to try to eliminate a creaking... couple days later I
    found a crack in the frame.

    Michael

  13. "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > "Hjalmar Duklæt" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I've had som squeacking noice coming from the front of my bike for quite
    > >some time but have not been able to figure out where it came from or what
    > >caused it. Not until yesterday when I suddently discovered that the stem

    was
    > >almost broken. It's got a crack almost around the entire stem along the
    > >weld. The stem is a 1" CODA quill stem with an ovalized shape and a matte
    > >black finish. Has anybody else experinced anything like this?
    > >Hjalmar
    > >

    > That stem (or one that looks just like it) was recalled, though for a
    > thread stripping problem like the Dedas mentioned in this thread, not
    > for cracking like you saw). See
    > http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/tech/pdfs/99_stemquill.pdf
    >
    > Thanks for this thread... I just rememebered that I kept tightening my
    > chainring bolts to try to eliminate a creaking... couple days later I
    > found a crack in the frame.
    >
    > Michael

    Yeah, I will also be a lot more careful an do a much more thorough
    inspection next time I get a strange noise coming from my bike.
    Hjalmar