A Schreader adapter to allow me to use my frame pump with my SID forks?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Me, May 17, 2003.

  1. Me

    Me Guest

    Hi guys, can anyone tell me if they know where I can find an adapter that would extend the valve
    ontop of my SID Rockshox so that I dont have to carry my fork pump with me on rides?

    It would be handy to be able to screw something onto the fork valve so that I can add some emergency
    air with my frame pump. The other day I let too much out on a ride and had to walk back to the
    parkinglot as I didnt have my shox pump with me.

    Hopefully, you understand what I'm looking for as I'm not to good in describing it!

    In case it helps, I carry a small frame pump that can get to 100 psi with ease, though I only run
    about 40 psi in my SIDS.

    cheers,

    Tags:

  2. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >It would be handy to be able to screw something onto the fork valve so that I can add some
    >emergency air with my frame pump.

    Not such a hot idea. It's not the pressure, it's the volume. I'd bet you'd blow the seals out of
    your fork very, very fast. Phil Brown

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Perhaps I might over inflate the shox, but do you know this for certain?

    I figure that one or two strokes of my mini pump has about the same amount of volume as the 10+ it
    takes me to go from 0psi - 40 psi with my shox pump.

    Can anyone shed some light on this? Any experience doing the same?

    cheers,

    "Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >It would be handy to be able to screw something onto the fork valve so
    that
    > >I can add some emergency air with my frame pump.
    >
    > Not such a hot idea. It's not the pressure, it's the volume. I'd bet you'd
    blow
    > the seals out of your fork very, very fast. Phil Brown

  4. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Perhaps I might over inflate the shox, but do you know this for certain?
    > >
    > >I figure that one or two strokes of my mini pump has about the same
    amount
    > >of volume as the 10+ it takes me to go from 0psi - 40 psi with my shox
    pump.

    > From the original post it was clear you were looking for "emergency" help.
    That
    > says to me that you're riding, the fork looses pressure and you look for
    the
    > nearest source of air-a gas station. Fill a fork at a gas station and you
    will
    > almost certainly blow out the seals. Phil Brown

    'Cause there are all sorts of gas stations in the woods....

    nearest source of air will be a mini-pump if he doesn't have the shock pump.

    Jon Bond

  5. Me

    Me Guest

    Spot on Jon, I have a shox pump at home, but as I dont like carrying more than I have to on the
    trails and already carry a minipump for my tyres, I put 2 and 2 togeteher and was wondering if I
    could leave out the shox pump.

    Phil, perhaps you would consider using a gas station pump on your shoxs and tyres but it never
    entered my mind.

    My shoxs don't loose more than a psi or two every couple days (just like my tyres) so having an
    adapter or extention hose to use my minipump on my shox would be for emergency top ups.

    I personally have to ride about 10 miles of road before I get to the trails and it would be nice
    to have a nice firm shox on the way out and if I find the trails particularlly sloppy or bumpy
    than I would like the option to take a bit of air out of them without risking not being able to
    add any back
    in.

    Its the same sort of thing that I infrequently do to my tyres, but in anycase having an adapter for
    such situations would be handy.

    -cheers for all the suggestions, keep em coming...