A Schreader adapter to allow me to use my frame pump with my SID forks?

Me

Guest
Hi guys, can anyone tell me if they know where I can find an adapter that would extend the valve
ontop of my SID Rockshox so that I dont have to carry my fork pump with me on rides?

It would be handy to be able to screw something onto the fork valve so that I can add some emergency
air with my frame pump. The other day I let too much out on a ride and had to walk back to the
parkinglot as I didnt have my shox pump with me.

Hopefully, you understand what I'm looking for as I'm not to good in describing it!

In case it helps, I carry a small frame pump that can get to 100 psi with ease, though I only run
about 40 psi in my SIDS.

cheers,

>It would be handy to be able to screw something onto the fork valve so that I can add some
>emergency air with my frame pump.

Not such a hot idea. It's not the pressure, it's the volume. I'd bet you'd blow the seals out of
your fork very, very fast. Phil Brown

Perhaps I might over inflate the shox, but do you know this for certain?

I figure that one or two strokes of my mini pump has about the same amount of volume as the 10+ it
takes me to go from 0psi - 40 psi with my shox pump.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Any experience doing the same?

cheers,

"Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >It would be handy to be able to screw something onto the fork valve so
that
> >I can add some emergency air with my frame pump.
>
> Not such a hot idea. It's not the pressure, it's the volume. I'd bet you'd
blow
> the seals out of your fork very, very fast. Phil Brown

"Phil Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Perhaps I might over inflate the shox, but do you know this for certain?
> >
> >I figure that one or two strokes of my mini pump has about the same
amount
> >of volume as the 10+ it takes me to go from 0psi - 40 psi with my shox
pump.

> From the original post it was clear you were looking for "emergency" help.
That
> says to me that you're riding, the fork looses pressure and you look for
the
> nearest source of air-a gas station. Fill a fork at a gas station and you
will
> almost certainly blow out the seals. Phil Brown

'Cause there are all sorts of gas stations in the woods....

nearest source of air will be a mini-pump if he doesn't have the shock pump.

Jon Bond

Spot on Jon, I have a shox pump at home, but as I dont like carrying more than I have to on the
trails and already carry a minipump for my tyres, I put 2 and 2 togeteher and was wondering if I
could leave out the shox pump.

Phil, perhaps you would consider using a gas station pump on your shoxs and tyres but it never
entered my mind.

My shoxs don't loose more than a psi or two every couple days (just like my tyres) so having an
adapter or extention hose to use my minipump on my shox would be for emergency top ups.

I personally have to ride about 10 miles of road before I get to the trails and it would be nice
to have a nice firm shox on the way out and if I find the trails particularlly sloppy or bumpy
than I would like the option to take a bit of air out of them without risking not being able to
add any back
in.

Its the same sort of thing that I infrequently do to my tyres, but in anycase having an adapter for
such situations would be handy.

-cheers for all the suggestions, keep em coming...