A Scientific Cycling joke

Richard Bates

Guest
Three keen cyclists: Guy, Danny and Nicole were sitting in
the pub one evening. All of them were in scientific careers
and wanted to use their knowledge to predict the outcome of
the next Tour de France in order to make a profit from the
bookmakers.

They reckoned that there must be some mathematical model
which could be applied to the rider, the bike, the terrain
or some combination of all three.

They each agreed to work on a formula and meet again in the
Cyclist's Arms next Friday.

Friday arrived and as agreed Guy, Danny and Nicole met up,
armed with a wad of papers each.

Guy showed his theory first. "This model uses the rider's
weight, inside leg measurement, and the difference between
the largest and smallest sprockets to predict who will win
the Tour. It is sufficiently accurate to be able to narrow
down the possible winners to just 10% of the participants".

Danny spoke next. "Well my model is more accurate than
that", he claimed, "I have used the crank length, saddle
height, and numer of spokes on the rear wheel. When combined
with the rider's weight this allows me to narrow down the
possible winners to just 5% of the participants."

Guy agreed that this was quite a good attempt but Nicole
said, "Sorry, lads, but my model is even better than that.
Armed with only the rider's weight, the average gradient for
each stage, and the size of the larger chainring I can
narrow down the possible winners to just .25%."

Guy and Danny were awestruck. This was amazing. They could
pretty much guarantee to be picking the winner this way. All
was decided then: Off they went to the bookmaker the
following morning.

Guy sold his best recumbent. Danny sold his best
unicycle. Nicole sold her best racing bike. All the
proceeds went on making a bet that Lance Armstrong would
be the 2004 Tour winner.

A few months later, the Tour started. The prologue ... and
OH NO! Lance loses the stage. Never mind thought the trio,
there are many more stages left.

As the days go by, Lances performance deteriorates and a new
upcoming domestique eventually wins the Tour.

Guy, angry that he had lost his recumbent; and Danny,
in tears at losing his unicycle both have sharp words
with Nicole.

"You promised us that you could calculate the winner to
0.25%", shouted Guy and Danny.

"I'm very sorry lads", replied Nicole, "My model was indeed
accurate to 0.25% but it was only valid for a spherical
cyclist travelling along a frictionless road in a vacuum".

IGMC, Rich x

--
[email protected] Personal Site: www.artybee.net (same
****, different layout) Sutton Brass :

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "I'm very sorry lads", replied Nicole, "My model was
> indeed accurate to 0.25% but it was only valid for a
> spherical cyclist travelling along a frictionless road in
> a vacuum".

Tee hee. Just for that here's a howler from a cartoon in a
popular tabloid. Note England football manager Sven Goren
Eriksson wearing metal rimmed glasses in the hottest part
of a sauna (ahem -he's Swedish so it's a Bastu actually).
Never mind! Whatever it is, he'd burn his ears and nose
pretty badly. Probably knacker his mobile as well.

http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsven.htm

Simon M.

> Tee hee. Just for that here's a howler from a cartoon in
> a popular
tabloid.
> Note England football manager Sven Goren Eriksson wearing
> metal rimmed glasses in the hottest part of a sauna (ahem
> -he's Swedish so it's a Bastu actually). Never mind!
> Whatever it is, he'd burn his ears and nose pretty badly.
> Probably knacker his mobile as well.
>
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zsven.htm
>
> Simon M.

It's a standard Finnish joke. How do you tell if a Swede
is in the Sauna? He's the one reading the newspaper!. The
implication being that they are wimps who cannot manage a
hot sauna.(In Finland boasting about how hot and humid
the sauna you had is a bit like boasting here about how
you decided a vindaloo was not hot enough and you had a
fal instead)

Julia

"JBB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Tee hee. Just for that here's a howler from a cartoon
> > in a popular

> It's a standard Finnish joke. How do you tell if a Swede
> is in the Sauna? He's the one reading the newspaper!. The
> implication being that they are wimps who cannot manage a
> hot sauna.(In Finland boasting about how hot and humid
> the sauna you had is a bit like boasting here about how
> you decided
> vindaloo was not hot enough and you had a fal instead)

Mine runs at 110 deg C, but when it gets that hot I retire
to the lower
lauteet, especially when making loyly ;-) I do read in
there, but some books
get ruined as the glue holding the paper melts and all the
pages fall out.

Simon M.

>Mine runs at 110 deg C, but when it gets that hot I retire
> to the lower
> lauteet, especially when making loyly ;-) I do read in
> there, but some
books
> get ruined as the glue holding the paper melts and all the
> pages fall out.

And when it reaches 451 Fahrenheit we all know what happens
to the books then...

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

> "JBB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > Tee hee. Just for that here's a howler from a cartoon
> > > in a popular
>

> > It's a standard Finnish joke. How do you tell if a Swede
> > is in the
Sauna?
> > He's the one reading the newspaper!. The implication
> > being that they are wimps who cannot manage a hot
> > sauna.(In Finland boasting about how hot
and
> > humid the sauna you had is a bit like boasting here
> > about how you
decided
> > vindaloo was not hot enough and you had a fal instead)
>
>Mine runs at 110 deg C, but when it gets that hot I retire
> to the lower
> lauteet, especially when making loyly ;-) I do read in
> there, but some
books
> get ruined as the glue holding the paper melts and all the
> pages fall out.
>
> Simon M.

Nah. Too hot for me. Run your sauna at a sensible cadence -
95!. Best things to read are stapled magazines e.g cycling
weekly or put the stereo speakers on the roof and listen to
the Archers.

Julia

in message <[email protected]>, JBB
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Nah. Too hot for me. Run your sauna at a sensible cadence
> - 95!. Best things to read are stapled magazines e.g
> cycling weekly or put the stereo speakers on the roof and
> listen to the Archers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You'll rot your brain, you know.

--
[email protected] (Simon Brooke)
http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/ Ring of great evil Small

> in message <[email protected]>, JBB
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Nah. Too hot for me. Run your sauna at a sensible
> > cadence - 95!. Best things to read are stapled magazines
> > e.g cycling weekly or put the stereo speakers on the
> > roof and listen to the Archers.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> You'll rot your brain, you know.

I know - listen to The Archers indeed!

Simon M.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:29:18 +0000 (UTC), "JBB" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Nah. Too hot for me. Run your sauna at a sensible cadence -
>95!. Best things to read are stapled magazines e.g cycling
>weekly or put the stereo speakers on the roof and listen to
>the Archers.

What the hell are you doing ? Hardening yourself up for a
couple of years in Guantanamo Bay ?

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:37:23 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And when it reaches 451 Fahrenheit we all know what happens
>to the books then...

A few months ago I managed to break off one of the blades
on my CPU's cooling fan. (Aka my chip fan. Be careful when
mentioning this near to fast food outlets.) Last Sunday,
maybe not too surprisingly, the imbalance in the fan took
its toll, the fan stopped rotating altogether, and my
CPU's temperature hit almost 100 degrees Celcius for a
brief moment.

Fortunately, the previous day, a mate of mine had popped
round to my house (from Gloucestershire) with a spare Athlon
heatsink and fan. I removed the damaged fan from my existing
heatsink and replaced it with the gifted one.

The temp, on booting, is now a mild low-40 degrees C.
Indeed, my study feels quite nippy at times.

Luckily, the CPU wasn't damaged. More correctly, my PC is
still working.

Not quite 451 Fahrenheit, I agree, but perhaps paper burns
hotter than potato(e!).

James

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 13:37:23 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you
> know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>And when it reaches 451 Fahrenheit we all know what
>>happens to the books then...
>
> A few months ago I managed to break off one of the blades
> on my CPU's cooling fan. (Aka my chip fan. Be careful when
> mentioning this near to

How???????

Trev

"Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:29:18 +0000 (UTC), "JBB"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Nah. Too hot for me. Run your sauna at a sensible cadence
> >- 95!. Best
things
> >to read are stapled magazines e.g cycling weekly or put
> >the stereo
speakers
> >on the roof and listen to the Archers.
>
> What the hell are you doing ? Hardening yourself up for a
> couple of years in Guantanamo Bay ?

Enjoying a relaxing sauna actually Julia

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 13:05:39 +0100, Trevor Barton
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> A few months ago I managed to break off one of the blades
>> on my CPU's cooling fan. (Aka my chip fan. Be careful
>> when mentioning this near to

Air blast cleaner can thingy. The nozzle extension (it's
a plastic straw) sort of came into contact with the fan.
I'm still trying to find out whose fault it was ...
mumble, mumble.

James