A Sensitive Topic

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Appkiller, May 6, 2003.

  1. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and was
    wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    reducing the length of time for them to heal.

    I would prefer not to cut back on riding.

    TIA

    App

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    A recent RoadBikeRider newsletter recommended Preparation H.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. Appkiller wrote:
    > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    >
    > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.

    I used to get saddle sores, then I got Brooks saddles and I don't get them anymore.

    If I remember, liberal amounts of Bag Balm were helpful.

    CRM

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    >
    > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > App

    Rubbing down with witch hazel after riding helps minimize the formation of follicular saddle sores.
    After I do that, I'll rub some triple antibiotic ointment on the affected area. Seems to help.

    Mike

  5. cashrefundman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Appkiller wrote:
    > > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    > >
    > > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    > >

    > I used to get saddle sores, then I got Brooks saddles and I don't get them anymore.
    >
    > If I remember, liberal amounts of Bag Balm were helpful.
    >
    > CRM

    Yes, Brooks. But they make several different kinds so an anaylsis of your riding style is in order.
    Sheldon can help with this.

  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I always assumed saddle sores were skin abrasions or blisters from chafing. I've never gotten
    anything like that. But I often get what seem to be irritated hairs under the skin; feels like an
    irritated pimple except there's a hair stuck in it, and it's more painful (or at least seems that
    way, though I never happen to sit on pimples to test that theory ;-)

    Is this what you're referring to by "follicular type" of saddle sore? Makes it sound almost
    medical...

    More important, does Bag Balm actually help this kind of thing? How? Where do you get it?

    then Appkiller wrote:
    > If I remember, liberal amounts of Bag Balm were helpful.

  7. Me too. I used to get them and cysts. Had to have surgery to remove the cysts. No problems since I
    moved to Brooks saddles. Is it the shape(s) or the leather? I use Noxema for lubrication/sanitation
    in my shorts. I use bag balm for other sports where friction is a big problem in the arm pits. (xc
    skiing). Will try it in my shorts. Just seems like it could be sort of messy. Gary

    "cashrefundman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]ews.easynews.com...
    > Appkiller wrote:
    > > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    > >
    > > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    > >

    > I used to get saddle sores, then I got Brooks saddles and I don't get them anymore.
    >
    > If I remember, liberal amounts of Bag Balm were helpful.
    >
    > CRM

  8. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    > >
    > > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > App
    >
    > Rubbing down with witch hazel after riding helps minimize the formation of follicular saddle
    > sores. After I do that, I'll rub some triple antibiotic ointment on the affected area. Seems
    > to help.
    >
    > Mike

    The pimples are caused by ingrown hair, cut open the pimple and pull the long curled up hair out and
    apply alcohol to the open pimple.

    Don't shave your ass as the short stubble will grow inward quicker.

    Hawke

  9. "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    >
    > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.

    Cut a hole in your saddle under the sore, so that area is not in contact with the saddle when
    you're riding.

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

    > TIA
    >
    > App

  10. I think that while Bag Balm may work well during a saddle sores crisis, it's unwise to use it too
    often. As I understand it, it was designed to keep skin (on cows' tits) tender and soft if used
    regularly. Tender and soft skin is not good for the parts that sit on the saddle.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  11. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    <snip>
    > Don't shave your ass as the short stubble will grow inward quicker.
    >
    > Hawke
    <snip>

    Now that's funny. I don't shave my ass since my original bloody hack job, now my wife is so
    kind as to do it for me. My averages have gone up 1.5 - 3 mph since I removed the dreadlocks
    from my haunches.

    App

  12. Spacey Spade

    Spacey Spade Guest

    Hawke wrote:

    >"Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type
    >> > and was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and
    >> > follicular) and reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    >> >
    >> > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    >>
    >> Rubbing down with witch hazel after riding helps minimize the formation of follicular saddle
    >> sores. After I do that, I'll rub some triple antibiotic ointment on the affected area. Seems
    >> to help.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >
    >The pimples are caused by ingrown hair, cut open the pimple and pull the long curled up hair out
    >and apply alcohol to the open pimple.
    >
    >Don't shave your ass as the short stubble will grow inward quicker.

    If you use electric clippers on legs/butt, this leaves a couple millimeters of hair. Hair is less
    likely to become ingrown. Long hairs in the butt area are not comfortable, IMHO. They feel like
    they've been pulled this way and that after a long ride.

  13. I use Oxy 10, zit cream if it is a zit, I use Dr Naylors(like Bag Balm but less lanolin, less
    greasy, smells better, oil of Clove) before a ride, I swab the 'area', after a shower with
    alcohol....yeeehaw!!!

  14. Paul J Pharr

    Paul J Pharr Guest

    > I use Oxy 10, zit cream if it is a zit, I use Dr Naylors(like Bag Balm but
    less
    > lanolin, less greasy, smells better, oil of Clove) before a ride, I swab
    the
    > 'area', after a shower with alcohol....yeeehaw!!!

    I changed saddles to a Terry Fly, got better shorts, washed em after every ride (alternated),
    peroxide and alcohol after every ride. After all that, it cleared up but I don't know which
    combination or individual thing really made the difference.

    Paul J Pharr

  15. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Appkiller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <snip>
    > > Don't shave your ass as the short stubble will grow inward quicker.
    > >
    > > Hawke
    > <snip>
    >
    > Now that's funny. I don't shave my ass since my original bloody hack job, now my wife is so kind
    > as to do it for me. My averages have gone up 1.5 - 3 mph since I removed the dreadlocks from my
    > haunches.
    >
    > App

    Cool! That tends to keep them out of the spokes also.

    Hawke

  16. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    << I use Oxy 10, zit cream if it is a zit, I use Dr Naylors(like Bag Balm but less lanolin, less
    greasy, smells better, oil of Clove) before a ride, I swab the 'area', after a shower with
    alcohol....yeeehaw!!! >>

    Applying rubbing alchohol to sensitive skin does not "disinfect" it, it irritates it and makes it
    more easily inflamed. Wash your body with soap and water before you ride. Try ASSOS chamois cream or
    BodyGlide (available from Performance) applied directly to the skin to reduce friction between your
    skin and the chamois. Always wash your shorts after every ride.

  17. Hawke

    Hawke Guest

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > << I use Oxy 10, zit cream if it is a zit, I use Dr Naylors(like Bag Balm
    but
    > less lanolin, less greasy, smells better, oil of Clove) before a ride, I swab
    the
    > 'area', after a shower with alcohol....yeeehaw!!! >>
    >
    > Applying rubbing alchohol to sensitive skin does not "disinfect" it, it irritates it and makes it
    > more easily inflamed.

    Actually applying rubbing alcohol to the nether regions tends to toughen the area, cream is not
    desirable as it tends to create more movement, thus more friction.

    > Wash your body with soap and water before you ride.

    Never use soap and water, do as the French do and use Garlic butter and snail juice.

    Hawke

  18. [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    >
    > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > App
    That's the price of fashion I'm afraid. I learned to sit in a more upright position than the racing
    wantabees. That allows for a wide brooks saddle. No pain anymore and no sores. Sadly out of fashion
    am I, but I can ride all day painlessly.

  19. I ride 6K-10K miles a year, including events of over 24 hours, and have never gotten a saddle sore.
    I also have never used any lotions or balms down there.

    But I do things a bit different. I don't wear cycling shorts, preferring cheap cotton shorts from
    Kmart. I put the padding in the seat, choosing ones that have thick but stiff padding right where
    the tail bone sits.

    I've known for a long time that I'm about the only serious cyclists to subscribe to this philosophy.
    But the results speak for themselves.

    Speaking only from my own experience, Tom

    [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Saddle sores, you ride enough, you get 'em. I recently was the victim of the follicular type and
    > was wondering if anyone had some sage advice on managing them (both abrasive and follicular) and
    > reducing the length of time for them to heal.
    >
    > I would prefer not to cut back on riding.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > App

  20. Doug Goncz

    Doug Goncz Guest

    I use a Norelco on my butt once in a while. Long hair gets tied up. Stubble, though, is irritating.

    I wash with soap and water every time I move my bowels French style. You may prefer "baby wipes" or
    the alcohol soaked pad, I forget the name. Troops and press in the Gulf war swear by them. That's
    some infectious matter comin' through there. Remove it.

    Never have trouble, but don't ride all day then, either.

    Oh, yeah. Tucks.

    That's what they're called.

    From US News and World Report:

    Average amount of fecal matter in the average American male's clean-that-day undershorts: 1/4 gram.

    Yours,

    Doug Goncz, Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA http://users.aol.com/DGoncz If a computer won't do
    what needs to be done, lie to it. Don't try this trick on people.