A Shorts Poll

I used to cycle with undies - just down to the shops and back as you do. I think 'chafing' is a mild way of putting it; perhaps Der Uber-Wedgie would be a bit more accurate. 'Stop and adjust'? More like Stop, Extract and Massage.

Much nicer to have a good pair of padded cycling shorts. Although the old L/R problem is a real brain-teaser.

Originally posted by HeidelbergBarbi
I am new to this forum. Just joined today. This subject interests me because I just bought me a new pair of biking undies with a nice soft pad to cushion my soft tissues. Being female, I thought I would also wear my thongs under these to protect the pad from my personal moisture. Is this perhaps a bad idea? I will be heading into Holland on a 400+ kilometer trip and I am hoping to avoid chaffing. Any suggestions or ideas would be welcome.
Hallo.

Though it's nice of you to care enough about the fancy padding (also called a chamois) to protect them from you, consider the other view -- the padding is there to protect your skin. Wash it as often as you like, but let it do its job.

Something like a thong might help to keep the chamois cleaner, but the longer and longer your rides, the more likely it is to cause you discomfort. The chamois is designed to press up against your skin; you don't want a strip of cotton in the way.

Good luck with your 400K!

I am most comfortable with cycling type cotton boxers under Champion cotton lycra cycling shorts so no visible lines and no chaffing. The Champion cycling shorts has an amply padded anti-bacteria treated chamois and has a very snug ang comfy fit and cotton lycra material has good moisture wicking properties.

I just started wearing cycling shorts a little while ago. I did wear undies at first but then went without 1 day after being told I should. The L/R issue did cross my mind so I tried up. It worked. No Butt Buttr for me.

The moisture wicking worked much better without the undies.

Plus there was 1 other benefit to going commando, when the boys need a little airconditioning apllied I can just sit up straight & open my legs a little wider. Ahhh the cooling breeze goes right through. It makes them happy & me too.:cool:

Originally posted by wyllisx2
Plus there was 1 other benefit to going commando, when the boys need a little airconditioning apllied I can just sit up straight & open my legs a little wider. Ahhh the cooling breeze goes right through. It makes them happy & me too.:cool:

Brilliant!

Bare bottom for me, that is, except the ridding shorts. I loves the feel of Chamos!

At the beggining I used to use my soccer or gym shorts (with briefs, of course) to ride my MTB bike and my crotch got so hurt I almost stoped biking. Then I bought a pair of MTB "baggy" shorts because I wasn't bold enough to use the tight type shorts.

The baggy shorts were so hot in summer (Mexican summer) and very unconfortables in general specially for the technical rides so I finally decided to be brave and bougth my first tight lycra shorts (Giordana) and decided to used them as they were designed: WITH NO UNDERWEAR.

I should say that the difference is from heaven to earth, thousands of professional cyclists can't be wrong.

Gerardo
México

Cycling shorts are sports equipment, and like all sports equipment they have an optimal way to be used.

No underwear!

I agree with most: There is no way undies go under there! I use the Assos Chamois cream and put it right on the chamois, absolutely incredible!!

Hey guys, i have never used undies with my knicks either. They are not designed to be used that way so why bother? To those who do wear underwear with the bike knicks, i pose this question, Why do u do it? It seems that there is a very wide understanding that they are not necessary and if nothing else it saves some washing after the ride. I dont understand why you havent tried going "commando" and if you have tried it then why havent u been converted? I would like to hear some answers to this as it has always had me puzzled. Is it the security of underwear? the trendiness of the "visible panty line"? maybe just plain stubbornness towards change? Let me know.

Hello Drew,

I'll talk the Mexican case......, Down here people think that the tight type shorts are for queers (I know this is so stupid, but I deal with this every day) now, imagine if they notice when I'm not using underwear. Fortunately my cycling budies think like me, they use their shorts the right way and they shave their legs too.

Here, most of the people you see at the trails use the unconfortables baggy shorts or the most "braves" use the tight shorts with undies and all of them has their hairy legs. So my buddies and I are like a buch of queers for most of people here, he,he,he.

I pesonally think that this issue has to do with the self confidence of each one......because again: there is nothing better to last hours riding a bike in a confortable way, than using a good pair of tight cycling shorts with out underwear.

Someone gave me a tip that says that the shorts should be as tight as a second skind, Can someone give some advice on this?

GERARDO
In México

This is an interesting thread. I have been cycling for 10 years now and it has never crossed my mind to wear my cycling shorts sans undies. I have always worn sports underwear. Sometimes they are annoying as they sometimes ride-up on me as I cycling and I have to stop to adjust myself.

I always assumed that you wore underwear, but everyone's strong opinion about riding commando style under the shorts has convinced me to try it out.

I'm going on a club ride tomorrow and I'll try it out and report back the day after.

Wish me luck!!!

....."I'm going on a club ride tomorrow and I'll try it out and report back the day after."

I'm interested to hear your "report".

GERARDO
México

Originally posted by Cambo
Do you guys wear underwear with bike shorts, or do you "free ball" as I like to say?

I don't have a problem with chafing, most shorts do a good job if they are in good condition and clean. I have worn briefs before but the seams are the problem there, they chafe! I do find shorts with thinner pads to be more comfortable than the thicker ones, sorry , i'm to old to have a younger sense of humor! but you are fun to read!
M

Originally posted by RubberSideDown
Yep, "Bag Balm" is for real.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

ROTFL.... this from the BagBalm.com front page.
The original ointment for soothing chapped skin, small scrapes and cuts. Ideal for horses, cattle, pets or other domestic animals suffering from occasional skin irritations.

just out of curiosity, how do you guys wash your shorts? being a mountain biker i use baggies. I usually hand wash them, even though the tag says machine safe. Should I just machine wash them or continue hand-washing?

I'm kinda lazy, i machine wash but hang to dry in the shade or indoors. mine seem to last a long time and i ride everyday.

mark

I wash them in the Machine and then dry them indoors. I found out the Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor short is incredible durable to "my" washing....he,he. I have 3 years with them and are like new.

By the way, the inner pad of this short is great!!

Originally posted by Greg-O
just out of curiosity, how do you guys wash your shorts? being a mountain biker i use baggies. I usually hand wash them, even though the tag says machine safe. Should I just machine wash them or continue hand-washing?

I just rinse them after a ride and let them dry on a towel bar or hanger. That way they don't get beaten up by the washer. Not sure, but I think they probably last longer this way (especially the elastic parts).

No undies for me either. Hey, if someone sees me cycling in my tighties and thinks I'm a queer OK, they AINT gonna catch me! ;)