A Shorts Poll

Originally posted by rockthrowjoe
This is an interesting thread. I have been cycling for 10 years now and it has never crossed my mind to wear my cycling shorts sans undies. I have always worn sports underwear. Sometimes they are annoying as they sometimes ride-up on me as I cycling and I have to stop to adjust myself.

I always assumed that you wore underwear, but everyone's strong opinion about riding commando style under the shorts has convinced me to try it out.

I'm going on a club ride tomorrow and I'll try it out and report back the day after.

Wish me luck!!!

Well I'm back! And I must say that I am converted to riding commando style under the shorts!!

It felt great and was very comfortable. It was nice to not have another piece of material between me and the bike. It seems that previously my undies would get bunched a little bit and would create pressure points that would expedite saddle soreness. Furthermore the pad in my shorts was better able to distribute the weight.

I don't know if I should go out and burn the underwear I used as a sign of my liberation or what, but I'll never ride with underwear on again!!

Congratulations Joe!, I hope your experience convince others to use the cycling shorts the right way.

thanks for all of the advice on cleaning them guys. i think i will continue hand washing them :)

The funny thing is that I have previously been looking for cycling specific underwear, but was unable to find any. I kept wondering "Why is it so hard to find underwear to wear under cycling shorts?" I finally found some at Performance and was about to pay $15 for a pair of unpadded underwear from them when I found this discussion, and learned the reason why it is so difficult to find any cycling underwear...NO ONE WEARS UNDERWEAR UNDER THEIR CYCLING SHORTS!

This forum saved me $15 and continued discomfort.

Since the beginning, my MTB buddies told me to use the right shorts the right way (without underwear)....but I didn't wanted for whatever reasons (I guess the same reasons the rest of the people still using underwear under their shorts or the baggie type shorts).

But as I said: yes, it is a big, big, big difference in confort and specially in very hot weather.

Hello Everybody

I was not sure at first if you should wear underwear underneath Cycling Shorts. I soon found that it is much more comfortable without, plus you don't get a VPL.

Has anybody found that they can wear Cycling Shorts with Underwear? (Question open to both Male and Female members of the Forum of course)

Kind of on a tangent here....how many (of the men) shave their legs? Can't be THAT much wind drag. lol Is it just cosmetic, or do your legs stay cooler, or what? I don't see the reasoning behind it.

Originally posted by Brad1711
Kind of on a tangent here....how many (of the men) shave their legs? Can't be THAT much wind drag. lol Is it just cosmetic, or do your legs stay cooler, or what? I don't see the reasoning behind it.
Man your gonna get a pile on this one.

Ok, the reasoning goes back a ways and there are several GOOD reasons.
one. wound depth and heling time are reduced
two. use of oil during wet weather helps repel water and keep muscles warmer
three. Ever had a massage?
four. it does seem cooler
five. My Wife loves it.

Mark

one. wound depth and heling time are reduced
Not planning on getting any wounds
two. use of oil during wet weather helps repel water and keep muscles warmer
No rain yet, and anyways that's not enough reason for me
three. Ever had a massage?
Nope.
four. it does seem cooler
Well, it's not too hot here yet...
five. My Wife loves it.
Don't got one of those yet ;)

Ride long and fast enough, there will be wounds, sorry to say.

rain is a fact of life, shaven or not

Your really missing out

Good for you its sweltering down here

Don't get in a big hurry on this one, it's certainly not a reason to shave.

M

I'm shocked that there are eleven people out there that actually wear underwear under their bike shorts!

Originally posted by meehs
I'm shocked that there are eleven people out there that actually wear underwear under their bike shorts!

If this poll were taking place in México, I think probably it would be the other way around!!!:mad:

Originally posted by Cambo
Do you guys wear underwear with bike shorts, or do you "free ball" as I like to say?
I agree w/ loksta, wearing undergarments defeat the purpose!!! Anything worn under or over is probably done out of naivite' or trying to make a fashion statement.

Originally posted by mikem
What's an ankle sock? Do they make them in Magnum sizes?

Also, guys... do you shave the ballzarea?

Only if my girlfriend wants to do it.

I am one of the 11 that said I did wear underwear under my shorts. Because I simply did not know any better until I read this forum and since have read it in other places too.

Well I never had any chafing problems while wearing underwear, but I tried it commando on my last couple of rides and I have converted!

Commando is the way to go, really surprised me the difference it makes!

On cleaning the shorts. I always machine wash on gentle cycle with the rest of my excercise clothing and my wife's excercise clothes too.

Most of it is the wicking (sp?) material the pulls sweat away from your skin and the washing instruction on all of it says to machine wash gentle, do not use fabric softner, hang dry.

So that is what we do.

I ride, my wife runs.

I learned the hard way, squeeze that is, to hang dry my shorts & shirts.
One day after a load of laundry I popped on my favorite shirt & shorts & started singing falceto & pushed my gut to places it has never been.

If you want to minimize chafing, shorts with more panels will move with your body better, and not move around on you as much. I haven't ever heard of someone wearing short with underwear except for people who are buying their first cycling shorts and just don't know what to do. During endurance MTB events, I use a chamois cream to keep comfortable, but only for really long events.