A Shorts Poll

Always been a firm supporter (*snicker snicker*) of going commando in all but the most formal occasions.

Dont buy any shorts with less than 6 panels and 8 are better. Also for real long hot rides I will dust the boys liberally with cornstarch (and ONLY cornstarch) to keep everything nice and dry.

No undies for me. But I have to say, I am still rather uncomfortable and it doesn't make a difference if it's my PI Microsensors or my cheapie ones.:confused:

As for washing, I tried handwashing them ONCE and let me just say.. eeewwww:eek:. Machine wash gentle and hang to dry is the way to go.

brightgarden said:
is this a boys-only poll? do you care if the girls are wearing undies?
I always thought the point of bike shorts was that you didn't wear anything under since the shorts are supposed to provide what you need for comfortable cycling.

carolealdrich said:
I always thought the point of bike shorts was that you didn't wear anything under since the shorts are supposed to provide what you need for comfortable cycling.
A related question for the ladies is why do some women ride with the gripper hem on the leg rolled up? Seems like the bottom hem on the leg would start to creep up your leg. For guys this would eventually lead to problems with chafing and pinching...

I've always ridden without undies and even that seems to cause more bunching than is comfortable, I can only imagine riding with undies would be hell.

I've found that I'm particular by brand but not by price range... Sugoi works great but Pearl Izoomi don't work at all on the expensive ones but Voler works good too in the mid range.

Finally, I didn't see anyone mention it but bibs are SOOOO much more comfortable than shorts - no bunching at the waist, less movement through the entire saddle area, put 'em on and forget about 'em. They are better in every way except for when nature calls, and that hassle is worth it!

well i have not been what you would call an avid rider, but i have had some experience to go with the *ahem* debate.

i rode the C&O Canal with bike shorts, and over that some basketball shorts. Much better than having underwear under them. I would definitaly go with no undies. And really, that is a rule in almost any sport. ALways wear spandex when sporting, much more freedom and flexibility. :D

for the R/L debate, hmmm. I run track for college and am a sprinter. So i get the one piece spandex speedsuit. Fits snug, but it has a horribly located seam seperating the two leg parts that runs from belly button to tail bone. It was only left or right. Because of my events (high jump being one) i wore to the right. Yet there was a very noticable bulge. Without a seam, I would say up, looks a little more decent.

And on a tangent, the speedsuit is like the bibs, i assume. Yes, bathroom breaks are unwieldy, but an easy way around it. Just hike up one of the legs. It works much quicker than almost undressing in the stalls. Although it doesn't work if you have to clean your 6.

Cambo said:
Do you guys wear underwear with bike shorts, or do you "free ball" as I like to say?
I never have. Free as a bird as they say.

I used to apply Noxema to my area prior to long rides and it kept me comfy.

just as a quick related matter; what are peoples feelings about chamois creme? I myself use cornstarch to help stay dry.

Salsa Rider said:
just as a quick related matter; what are peoples feelings about chamois creme? I myself use cornstarch to help stay dry.
never herd of using corn starch, does it work pretty well?

ryan_velo said:
never herd of using corn starch, does it work pretty well?
I actually started doing it when I was working in kitchens. Yes a liberal dust of corn starch will keep you nice and dry. Do Not under any circumstances use anything else!!! (like say flour, you will be very sad)

Salsa Rider said:

A good chamois cream is as important as good shorts. Keeps both your **** and the chamois in good knick (no pun intended).

Comando all the way.
Usually to the right, but never up.
Rinse after every ride and machine wash at the end of the week.
And don't EVER put bike shorts in the dryer. They melt.:)

artmichalek said:
Rinse after every ride and machine wash at the end of the week.

Errrr.....no. Machine wash after every ride. Rinsing won't kill bacteria.

ed073 said:
Errrr.....no. Machine wash after every ride. Rinsing won't kill bacteria.
Rinsing won't kill bacteria, but it will wash a lot of them away and also deplete their nutrient supply.
Machine washing kills some bacteria, but doesn't sterilise.
Our lives, in any case, are too clean. Bacteria, within limits, are good for us (although, admittedly, most of the good is done in early life).

use an anti-bac washing powder when you wash your shorts. That's one area you want to keep as clean as possible if your going to be spending huors in the saddle daily.

Salsa Rider said:
No Creme here. Just a little Bodyglide.

You gotta go commando, there's just no other way. Some halfway decent shorts and you're set. I dig the Bodyglide, cause it reduces friction to nothing and it's easy and clean to put on.

As far a leg shaving, I never did untill I started Tris. Since then, other than the hassle of shaving, I dig it. Makes it MUCH easier to clean up after MTB rides. Especially the crashes. And massages... back in HS XC, i had a REAL bad lactic acid problem and was recommended daily massages. Thing was, the damn leg ahir pulling hurt just as much as the lactic acid! No problems there now.

I used to wear undies under the shorts, but I don't anymore. When I used to ride with briefs, I found that with the stretched lycra, they tended to be more visible, hence, less modesty than if you weren't wearing them. I have also noticed less chafing and "riding up" of the underwear, and of course, as long as you stay clean, what's the problem?