A Small Poll

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Paul Saunders, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. I'm reposting the text below as a new thread, since many people may not have
    noticed it buried inside the "Time to Pay!" thread, which most people with
    any sense should have killed by now. Besides, it seems to merit a thread of
    its own.

    Bootlaces posted the text below;

    =====

    "A small poll, maybe, for those listening in. How many hours per year do
    people on this thread recon they spend on the hill or out in the
    countryside per year? Foreign hours not to be included."

    "To roll a ball, I recon I'm lucky to get maybe a maximum of 35 days out
    per annum. Most of these will be single days, with maybe an absolute
    maximum of 10 hours actual walking. Taking a 'wet finger in the air'
    average, say 7 hours walking per trip. Which is an maximum estimate for
    me of maybe 245 hours. Looking at a number of years worth of log data, I
    see that I've only ever exceeded that outdoor time in one year, and the
    average is closer to 130 hours per annum."

    =====

    Paul

    Tags:

  2. Graham Seed

    Graham Seed Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "To roll a ball, I recon I'm lucky to get maybe a maximum of 35 days out
    > per annum. Most of these will be single days, with maybe an absolute
    > maximum of 10 hours actual walking. Taking a 'wet finger in the air'
    > average, say 7 hours walking per trip. Which is an maximum estimate for
    > me of maybe 245 hours. Looking at a number of years worth of log data, I
    > see that I've only ever exceeded that outdoor time in one year, and the
    > average is closer to 130 hours per annum."

    I'd say i was out 20 to 30 days, probably closer to 20 these days. I would
    agree with your 7 hour guestimate which puts me around 150 hours

    Graham

  3. theo

    theo Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm reposting the text below as a new thread, since many people may not
    > have noticed it buried inside the "Time to Pay!" thread, which most people
    > with any sense should have killed by now. Besides, it seems to merit a
    > thread of its own.
    >
    > Bootlaces posted the text below;
    >
    > =====
    >
    > "A small poll, maybe, for those listening in. How many hours per year do
    > people on this thread recon they spend on the hill or out in the
    > countryside per year? Foreign hours not to be included."

    My hill hours are foreign hours :)
    I think it is somewhere between 40 and 180 hours per annual. That's
    wildcamping included.
    *Foreign* foreign hours (i.e. at home) included it will be much more (but no
    hills).

    --
    "Beannachd leibh"

    Theo
    www.theosphotos.fotopic.net

  4. GeoffC

    GeoffC Guest

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:51:57 -0000, "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Looking at a number of years worth of log data, I
    >see that I've only ever exceeded that outdoor time in one year, and the
    >average is closer to 130 hours per annum."

    Hi Paul, good to know that I'm not the only one who keeps records of everything.

    The results of this poll should be very interesting. I tend to favour the number of full days of
    walking, since the number of hours varies a great deal with the season and type of walk, ranging
    from 6 - 7 hours in mid winter mountains to 13 hours or more on a long summer trek. Average is
    about 10 hours I would think (even my logs are not detailed enough for a very accurate figure).

    This year our total is typical at 74 days, so that gives 740 hours. Maximum number of days was back
    in 1995:- 117 full but generally shorter days out (by crikey, that was very nearly a third of the
    year).

    The advantage of no commitments, you see!

    Regards

    -- GeoffC

    Take out TheEnemy to email me

    http://v-g.me.uk

  5. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > I'm reposting the text below as a new thread, since many people may
    > not have
    > noticed it buried inside the "Time to Pay!" thread, which most people with
    > any sense should have killed by now. Besides, it seems to merit a
    > thread of
    > its own.

    Thanks for reposting that Paul. I was looking for it without success
    earlier today.

    > Bootlaces posted the text below;

    > =====

    > "A small poll, maybe, for those listening in. How many hours per year do
    > people on this thread recon they spend on the hill or out in the
    > countryside per year? Foreign hours not to be included."

    > "To roll a ball, I recon I'm lucky to get maybe a maximum of 35 days out
    > per annum. Most of these will be single days, with maybe an absolute
    > maximum of 10 hours actual walking. Taking a 'wet finger in the air'
    > average, say 7 hours walking per trip. Which is an maximum estimate for
    > me of maybe 245 hours. Looking at a number of years worth of log data, I
    > see that I've only ever exceeded that outdoor time in one year, and the
    > average is closer to 130 hours per annum."

    > =====

    I don't seem to have done very much this year, particularly in the later
    part of the year. IIRC I have only had one outing since completing the
    real Three Peaks on 5th August. My longest day was not as might have
    been expected the Three Peaks but a shorter saunter on the Brothers
    Water Expedition that lasted about 10 hours and 45 minutes and left me
    too tired to join the harder walkers in the pub afterwards.

    Anyway E&OE the 62 summits I managed to stagger up in the course of the
    year were the fruits of just 17 days or part days walking of which 3
    were day trips to the Lakes and the remainder covering 5 weekends away.
    Actually looking at the recorded tracks is too much effort but at a
    guess I averaged 6 hours per day so that is only 102 hours. As I usually
    aim to do 12 - 15 miles a day I don't think that would be too far out.

    That was the extent of my hill walking but living next door to a working
    farm I get out onto the local hillside much more frequently even if it
    is for such a mundane activity as chopping down a tree or digging up
    ragwort. Tasks that are now too much for my elderly neighbour.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 62 summits
    New - 28 (Marilyns 14, Nuttalls 5, Outlying Fells 10)

  6. GeoffC wrote:

    > Hi Paul, good to know that I'm not the only one who keeps records of
    > everything.

    No, no! That wasn't me, that was Bootlaces who posted that. I do keep
    records, but it would take too long to count all the hours.

    > The results of this poll should be very interesting. I tend to favour
    > the number of full days of walking,

    Same here, much simpler to keep track of.

    > since the number of hours varies
    > a great deal with the season and type of walk,

    Indeed. Then there's the question of time spent walking vs total time,
    usually much less in my case due to all the photography. Also, what about
    camping trips? Do they count as 24 hours a day? Or only walking hours? Or
    only walking hours?

    I'll do a few counts of my own shortly.

    Paul

  7. Richard Webb

    Richard Webb Guest

    This is the sort of question you get asked when applying to insure
    your mortgage, if you tend to stray into slightly more technical
    realms.

    I have no idea how many hill days I get in

    Richard Webb

  8. Woollyzone

    Woollyzone Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "A small poll, maybe, for those listening in. How many hours per year do
    > people on this thread recon they spend on the hill or out in the
    > countryside per year? Foreign hours not to be included."

    On the hill - not that much (not as much as I'd like, certainly). Probably
    only about 7 days perhaps (so maybe about 60 hours?) However, I do a *lot*
    of walking that isn't necessarily 'on the hill', - living in Norfolk as I
    do! - but there's still some outstanding walking to be had here even at
    sea-level, and coastal walking in places such as Pembrokeshire and Cornwall
    is just as exhilirating as being in the mountains for me. I'm glad that you
    distinguished between the two though, as there seems to be a general
    assumption here that 'walking' means hill-walking/mountain yomping.

  9. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

  10. Brian

    Brian Guest

    >"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:dp3o[email protected]
    >

    >> "A small poll, maybe, for those listening in. How many hours per year do
    >> people on this thread recon they spend on the hill or out in the
    >> countryside per year? Foreign hours not to be included."

    Ball-park, I'd say we average 6 hours a week for 40 weeks of the year
    in the UK. Abroad depends on where and what we went there for. This
    year South Africa not much walking; Austria, Germany and the US well
    over the UK average.

    Can you guess we're retired? Soon after retiring and getting a GPS
    every trip out was logged, nowadays only some GPS tracks get saved -
    perhaps a New Year's resolution to start logging again.

    Happy New Year to all

    Brian

    (For email change closed to open)

  11. Ysgrifennodd "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email protected]
    > I'm reposting the text below as a new thread, since many people may not
    > have noticed it buried inside the "Time to Pay!" thread, which most people
    > with any sense should have killed by now. Besides, it seems to merit a
    > thread of its own.
    >
    > Bootlaces posted the text below;
    >
    > =====
    >
    > "A small poll, maybe, for those listening in. How many hours per year do
    > people on this thread recon they spend on the hill or out in the
    > countryside per year? Foreign hours not to be included."
    >
    > "To roll a ball, I recon I'm lucky to get maybe a maximum of 35 days out
    > per annum. Most of these will be single days, with maybe an absolute
    > maximum of 10 hours actual walking. Taking a 'wet finger in the air'
    > average, say 7 hours walking per trip. Which is an maximum estimate for
    > me of maybe 245 hours. Looking at a number of years worth of log data, I
    > see that I've only ever exceeded that outdoor time in one year, and the
    > average is closer to 130 hours per annum."
    >
    > =====
    >
    > Paul

    This year i've managed about 20 days, which isn't too bad. Some have been
    coastal (Lleyn and Pembrokeshire). I'm aiming to get nearer 30 in next
    (nearly this) year, plus overnighters. I doubt i'll get time (or get out of
    bed on a weekend early enough) to do much more than that, unfortunately.

    T Dave R