A small question??

Hassaan

Sep 21, 2003
Hi, I need a little help over here. I got a recipe of an energy bar from the net... Does anybody know what is "molasses"; golden and dark.
Thanks

Originally posted by Hassaan
Hi, I need a little help over here. I got a recipe of an energy bar from the net... Does anybody know what is "molasses"; golden and dark.
Thanks

Molasses is like a very thick, dark, sweet syrup that is a by-product of sugar production. See "http://eat.epicurious.com/dictionary/food/index.ssf?TERM=molasses&submit.x=0&submit.y=0" for the exact definition.

It's common in the U.S., but I have never found it here in France. I brought a couple of bottles back a while ago to make pecan pies.

Maybe honey could be substituted?

Sara

Don't think so unless maybe you make a sugar syrup... For what it's worth, I'd go for something less sugar based than a recipe calling for molasses. Honey, almonds, yogurt, all that good stuff. But if you mustn I think the molasses is just to provide the stickiness in the dough. Try honey or a syrup w/1 part sugar to 1 part water, boiled for 5-8 minutes, until quite thick...

Good luck!

Okkkkk. I would go for honey from the two things you told....cuz its more nutritious and potent. And I'll let you know if your idea succeeds...;)

Yes, it has lots of minerals, too. Try it, though I am always skeptical...

S

Hi Sara.
I made that stuff. There was some error somewhere, because the thing was not hardened, it wasnt possible to cut it into BARS. So alternately, i made small balls with that. I used honey, i was thinking maybe the other alternative you told would have stiffened it better.
Have you ever tried any such thing? I got this recipe from http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.28.html.
If you know any other such type of thing, tell me pl.

In australia i have always used Golden Syrup as a replacement for Molasses. Im not sure if you have that in pakistan or not??

Originally posted by byron27
In australia i have always used Golden Syrup as a replacement for Molasses. Im not sure if you have that in pakistan or not??

Im not sure too! What is that made from?