A Sorta Vintage Bike Technical Question

TomYoung

Guest
Hi all:

A pretty obscure question.

I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

I know I could just replace this bit with the modern equivalent, but
I'm trying to keep the bike true to its period, at least for the
moment.

TIA

Tom Young

On Mar 6, 6:02 pm, TomYoung <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> A pretty obscure question.
>
> I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
> have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
> cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
> 600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
> had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
> casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
> derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
> enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

If you can fit one, sure.

"TomYoung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi all:
>
> A pretty obscure question.
>
> I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
> have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
> cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
> 600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
> had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
> casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
> derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
> enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?
>
> I know I could just replace this bit with the modern equivalent, but
> I'm trying to keep the bike true to its period, at least for the
> moment.
>
> TIA
>
> Tom Young

I would. BTW, what color is your 520? Nice bike.

Tom asks a very legit question;

>Hi all:
>A pretty obscure question.
>I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently
>purchased and I have a question about the casing that
>carries the rear derailleur cable from the frame to the
>derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano 600, casing is that old-style
>wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing had a ferrule on the
>frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
>casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but
>no ferrule on the derailleur end. It looks like the
>stop on the derailleur is large enough to accept a
>ferrule. Should there be one there?
>I know I could just replace this bit with the
>modern equivalent, but I'm trying to keep the bike true
>to its period, at least for the moment.
>TIA
>Tom Young

Tom I'm _not_ a TREK expert. I can only relate my own experience
regarding your question.

I've worked on Raleighs, Schwinns, Fujis, all from that general period.
What you've described is the norm from my POV.

A ferrule at the chainstay braze-on and no ferrule at the rear derailer.
If I was to see a ferrule at the derailer end I'd think, umm, that's
odd. (talking spiral wound housing here)

Good question.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

TomYoung wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> A pretty obscure question.
>
> I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
> have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
> cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
> 600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
> had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
> casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
> derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
> enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

yes, and you can use a aluminium cap on the cable end, just as on the
factory photo's

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

"M-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TomYoung wrote:
>> Hi all:
>>
>> A pretty obscure question.
>>
>> I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
>> have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
>> cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
>> 600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
>> had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
>> casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
>> derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
>> enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?
>>

> yes, and you can use a aluminium cap on the cable end, just as on the
> factory photo's
>
> --
> /Marten
>
> info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

There should be a ferrule on the end, doesn't have to be aluminum,
the steel ones work just as well. What the ferrule does, is acts
as a protector for the cable end. The derailleur cable ferrule looks
different than the brake cable ferrule.
Here is a photo of a derailleur cable ferrule:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/113GDFQ47ML._AA160_.jpg
Mine is slightly longer than the one in the photo on my 1985 Specialized
Expedition, but same configuration.

Here is a brake cable ferrule:
http://www.huskybicycles.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/311-188tn.jpg

-tom

On Mar 6, 6:41 pm, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> "TomYoung" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > Hi all:

> > A pretty obscure question.

> > I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
> > have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
> > cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
> > 600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
> > had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
> > casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
> > derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
> > enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

> > I know I could just replace this bit with the modern equivalent, but
> > I'm trying to keep the bike true to its period, at least for the
> > moment.

> > TIA

> > Tom Young

> I would. BTW, what color is your 520? Nice bike.

I think the 1985 Trek only came in one color, which was "Cumulus
Grey." I'd call it Grey Metalflake and I was lucky enough to snag a
bike with a near-perfect finish.

Thanks to all that replied.

Tom Young

On Mar 7, 6:39 am, "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "M-gineering" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > TomYoung wrote:
> >> Hi all:

> >> A pretty obscure question.

> >> I'm putting back together a 1985 Trek 520 I recently purchased and I
> >> have a question about the casing that carries the rear derailleur
> >> cable from the frame to the derailleur itself. Derailleur is Shimano
> >> 600, casing is that old-style wound-steel stuff. Anyway, the casing
> >> had a ferrule on the frame end (the "stop" for the frame end of the
> >> casing is the end of the chain stay itself) but no ferrule on the
> >> derailleur end. It looks like the stop on the derailleur is large
> >> enough to accept a ferrule. Should there be one there?

> > yes, and you can use a aluminium cap on the cable end, just as on the
> > factory photo's

> > --
> > /Marten

> > info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

> There should be a ferrule on the end, doesn't have to be aluminum,
> the steel ones work just as well. What the ferrule does, is acts
> as a protector for the cable end. The derailleur cable ferrule looks
> different than the brake cable ferrule.
> Here is a photo of a derailleur cable ferrule:http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/113GDFQ47ML._AA160_.jpg
> Mine is slightly longer than the one in the photo on my 1985 Specialized
> Expedition, but same configuration.
>
> Here is a brake cable ferrule:http://www.huskybicycles.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/311-188tn.jpg
>
> -tom

Ah, yes. I know I've seen that sort of ferrule before. Don't have
one, probably can't get one, but thanks for the info!

Tom Young