Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

A squeak in my Crossmax hub

Started by Westie · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,159 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
9 July 2004
Last activity
9 July 2004
Original author
Westie
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,159
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just tracking down a small squeak today. It's coming from
    the front wheel hub of my Crossmax SL's.

    I have the wheel off the bike. If you rotate the axel by
    hand it squeaks, sticks and 'grips' here and there. It
    doesn't feel like little pieces of shredded metal. It
    feels/sounds more like there is something rubber like an O-
    ring (or something) binding in there. I haven't touched the
    circular plate that adjusts the bearings yet as it is secure
    and firmly in place. It is winter here and the bike has been
    through plenty of puddles and mud. The weather has been
    freezing in recent weeks too.

    Is it, at worst, stuffed hub and bearings? Or is it just
    time for some TLC? If so, are the Crossmax hubs easy to
    service (I've not done this before) or would it be
    faster/easier to fire it off to the LBS until I have time to
    fiddle around and learn about hub/bearing maintenance?

    Cheers
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  2. Westie said:

    Just tracking down a small squeak today. It's coming from
    the front wheel hub of my Crossmax SL's.

    I have the wheel off the bike. If you rotate the axel by
    hand it squeaks, sticks and 'grips' here and there. It
    doesn't feel like little pieces of shredded metal. It
    feels/sounds more like there is something rubber like an
    O-ring (or something) binding in there. I haven't touched
    the circular plate that adjusts the bearings yet as it is
    secure and firmly in place. It is winter here and the bike
    has been through plenty of puddles and mud. The weather
    has been freezing in recent weeks too.

    Is it, at worst, stuffed hub and bearings? Or is it just
    time for some TLC? If so, are the Crossmax hubs easy to
    service (I've not done this before) or would it be
    faster/easier to fire it off to the LBS until I have time
    to fiddle around and learn about hub/bearing maintenance?

    The front hub is extremely (read: too damned) easy to open.
    (Mine came apart with finger strength and no tools.)

    If you still have that lame plastic "bearing adjustment
    tool", try loosening that first a bit. Maybe dab a drop of
    TriFlo in there, too.

    If that doesn't fix problem, pull/screw the thing apart and
    clean/lube and reassemble. Worst case: buy a new bearing,
    but probably not necessary.

    If you bought 'em locally and they're less that two years
    old, then the shop SHOULD fix 'em for you under warranty.
    (Mine replaced my rear bearing -- didn't fix drag issues --
    AND charged me $10 for a minor truing that I would have
    done/tried myself.)

    Bill "not thrilled with my XLs, but they ARE easy to service
    (good damned thing!)" S.

  3. Westie said:

    Just tracking down a small squeak today. It's coming from
    the front wheel hub of my Crossmax SL's.

    There's your problem right there... you have them.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  4. ZeeExSixAre said:
    Westie said:

    Just tracking down a small squeak today. It's coming from
    the front wheel hub of my Crossmax SL's.

    There's your problem right there... you have them.

    :-P
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  5. S o r n i said:
    Westie said:

    Just tracking down a small squeak today. It's coming from
    the front wheel hub of my Crossmax SL's.

    I have the wheel off the bike. If you rotate the axel by
    hand it squeaks, sticks and 'grips' here and there. It
    doesn't feel like little pieces of shredded metal. It
    feels/sounds more like there is something rubber like an
    O-ring (or something) binding in there. I haven't touched
    the circular plate that adjusts the bearings yet as it is
    secure and firmly in place. It is winter here and the
    bike has been through plenty of puddles and mud. The
    weather has been freezing in recent weeks too.

    Is it, at worst, stuffed hub and bearings? Or is it just
    time for some TLC? If so, are the Crossmax hubs easy to
    service (I've not done this before) or would it be
    faster/easier to fire it off to the LBS until I have time
    to fiddle around and learn about hub/bearing maintenance?

    The front hub is extremely (read: too damned) easy to
    open. (Mine came apart with finger strength and no tools.)

    If you still have that lame plastic "bearing adjustment
    tool", try loosening that first a bit. Maybe dab a drop of
    TriFlo in there, too.

    If that doesn't fix problem, pull/screw the thing apart
    and clean/lube and reassemble. Worst case: buy a new
    bearing, but probably not necessary.

    If you bought 'em locally and they're less that two years
    old, then the shop SHOULD fix 'em for you under warranty.
    (Mine replaced my rear bearing -- didn't fix drag issues
    -- AND charged me $10 for a minor truing that I would have
    done/tried myself.)

    Bill "not thrilled with my XLs, but they ARE easy to
    service (good damned thing!)" S.

    Okey dokey. I think that I have Lame Plastic Tool (r) around
    somewhere. I guess that even I can't stuff too much up with
    sealed bearings.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.