    What's the deal with the olympic trials? In the 5k last night the winner
    isn't automatically on the olympic team and still has to run an "A" standard
    race? That's messed up and makes me wonder why they even have the trials.
    And the other guy who finished 2nd has run an "A" standard already but isn't
    on the team automatically either? This is confusing. Also, what's the "B"
    standard?

    - Tony

    Tags:

    http://www.usatf.org/events/2004/OlympicTrials-TF/entry/qualifyingStandards.asp

    > In the 5k last night the winner
    > isn't automatically on the olympic team and still has to run an "A" standard
    > race?

    He only needs the "B" standard.

    > That's messed up and makes me wonder why they even have the trials.

    What if several people meet the standard ?

    > And the other guy who finished 2nd has run an "A" standard already but isn't
    > on the team automatically either?

    Not unless Broe has the A standard.

    > This is confusing. Also, what's the "B" standard?

    The standards for 5000 are 13:21.5 and 13:25.4

    Broe has a good chance of making the "B" -- he ran a 13:27 in fairly warm
    conditions.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  3. Lyndon

    Lyndon Guest

    Tony wrote:

    >What's the deal with the olympic trials? In the 5k last night the winner
    >isn't automatically on the olympic team and still has to run an "A" standard
    >race? That's messed up and makes me wonder why they even have the trials.
    >And the other guy who finished 2nd has run an "A" standard already but isn't
    >on the team automatically either? This is confusing. Also, what's the "B"
    >standard?

    A little explanation here. In addition to placing in the trials, there are
    qualification standards to be met for IAAF to allow you to compete in the
    Olympics. Same thing for the World Championships. The "A" standard is for
    major track powers: A country can send three athletes per event, provided that
    they all meet the A standard. There is a somewhat easier "B" standard,
    intended for lesser powers, but if a nation's athletes only meet the B
    standard, that nation can only send 1 athlete in that event.

    The issues here do not apply in the sprints, where we have many athletes who
    have met the A standard. But in the distance events, where we are not nearly
    so strong, USATF performs selection this way:

    1. If the winner of the event has the B standard (only), the winner and only
    the winner goes to the Olympics.

    2. If the winner has the A standard, the winner and the next 2 highest placing
    athletes (not necessarily 2-3 in the finals) that have the A standard go.

    3. If the winner does not have either A or B standard, the highest placing
    athletes that have the A standard go.

    So, by this criteria, the selection for the mens 5000 goes like this:

    1. If Broe gets the B standard, only Broe goes.

    2. If Broe gets the A standard, Broe and Riley go.

    3. If Broe does not get either the A or B standard, only Riley goes.

    Hope this clears things up a bit.

    Lyndon
    "Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track Coach
    Brooks Johnson

  4. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Lyndon wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Tony wrote:
    >
    >>What's the deal with the olympic trials? In the 5k last night the winner
    >>isn't automatically on the olympic team and still has to run an "A"

    standard
    >>race? That's messed up and makes me wonder why they even have the trials.
    >>And the other guy who finished 2nd has run an "A" standard already but

    isn't
    >>on the team automatically either? This is confusing. Also, what's the

    "B"
    >>standard?
    >>

    >A little explanation here. In addition to placing in the trials, there are
    >qualification standards to be met for IAAF to allow you to compete in the
    >Olympics. Same thing for the World Championships. The "A" standard is for
    >major track powers: A country can send three athletes per event, provided

    that
    >they all meet the A standard. There is a somewhat easier "B" standard,
    >intended for lesser powers, but if a nation's athletes only meet the B
    >standard, that nation can only send 1 athlete in that event.
    >
    >The issues here do not apply in the sprints, where we have many athletes

    who
    >have met the A standard. But in the distance events, where we are not

    nearly
    >so strong, USATF performs selection this way:
    >
    >1. If the winner of the event has the B standard (only), the winner and

    only
    >the winner goes to the Olympics.
    >
    >2. If the winner has the A standard, the winner and the next 2 highest

    placing
    >athletes (not necessarily 2-3 in the finals) that have the A standard go.
    >
    >3. If the winner does not have either A or B standard, the highest placing
    >athletes that have the A standard go.
    >
    >So, by this criteria, the selection for the mens 5000 goes like this:
    >
    >1. If Broe gets the B standard, only Broe goes.
    >
    >2. If Broe gets the A standard, Broe and Riley go.
    >
    >3. If Broe does not get either the A or B standard, only Riley goes.
    >
    >Hope this clears things up a bit.
    >
    >Lyndon
    >"Speed Kills...It kills those that don't have it!" --US Olympic Track

    Coach
    >Brooks Johnson

    Thanks for the explanation. Now option 1 above seems messed up to me that's
    why I was confused. Riley has already run A standard but Riley can only go
    if Broe does A Standard or worse than B standard between now and final
    selection time. So Riley having the better time could get dropped from the
    team - bad rule IMO.

    - Tony

  5. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tony" <[email protected](remove)hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the explanation. Now option 1 above seems messed up to me that's
    > why I was confused. Riley has already run A standard but Riley can only go
    > if Broe does A Standard or worse than B standard between now and final
    > selection time. So Riley having the better time could get dropped from the
    > team - bad rule IMO.

    Part of it is marketing. They want the trials to mean something, so they
    want the winner of the trials to go if possible. Also, just because
    someone made the A standard 5 months ago doesn't mean they can still do
    it. If they're able, why didn't they do it at the trials?

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  6. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Harold Buck wrote in message ...
    >In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Tony" <[email protected](remove)hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the explanation. Now option 1 above seems messed up to me

    that's
    >> why I was confused. Riley has already run A standard but Riley can only

    go
    >> if Broe does A Standard or worse than B standard between now and final
    >> selection time. So Riley having the better time could get dropped from

    the
    >> team - bad rule IMO.

    >Part of it is marketing. They want the trials to mean something, so they
    >want the winner of the trials to go if possible. Also, just because
    >someone made the A standard 5 months ago doesn't mean they can still do
    >it. If they're able, why didn't they do it at the trials?

    Weather conditions for distance races are a big factor; that's why Brow will
    go to europe to find a race(s) with more favorable condtions.

    >--Harold Buck
    >

    >"I used to rock and roll all night,
    > and party every day.
    > Then it was every other day. . . ."
    > -Homer J. Simpson

  7. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > Harold Buck wrote in message ...
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>,
    >>"Tony" <[email protected](remove)hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> So Riley having the better time could get dropped from the
    >>>team - bad rule IMO.

    >> Also, just because
    >>someone made the A standard 5 months ago doesn't mean they can still do
    >>it. If they're able, why didn't they do it at the trials?

    > Weather conditions for distance races are a big factor; that's why Brow will
    > go to europe to find a race(s) with more favorable condtions.

    I think this is what happened in the women's marathon in 2000. Christine
    Clark won the trials, but only had a B time. One or two others had prior
    A times and probably stronger recent running histories, but not that
    day, which was unseasonably warm. Clark was in Sydney, the others weren't.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  8. \El Paisano\

    \El Paisano\ Guest

    "Dot" <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I think this is what happened in the women's marathon in 2000. Christine
    > Clark won the trials, but only had a B time. One or two others had prior
    > A times and probably stronger recent running histories, but not that
    > day, which was unseasonably warm. Clark was in Sydney, the others weren't.

    IIRC only Anne Marie Lauck had the "A" standard and finished 3rd. There was
    even some pressure on Clark to run another marathon in more favorable
    conditions in order to acheive the standard and send a more competitive
    runner to the games. As it was Clark did very well in the Sydney games
    finishing in the top 20 (19th IIRC) with a PB.

  9. \El Paisano\

    \El Paisano\ Guest

    ""El Paisano"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dot" <[email protected]#att.net> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > I think this is what happened in the women's marathon in 2000. Christine
    > > Clark won the trials, but only had a B time. One or two others had prior
    > > A times and probably stronger recent running histories, but not that
    > > day, which was unseasonably warm. Clark was in Sydney, the others

    weren't.

    > IIRC only Anne Marie Lauck had the "A" standard and finished 3rd.

    Oops, Kristy Johnston (2nd place finisher) also had the "A" standard.

  10. Dan Glyn

    Dan Glyn Guest

    "\"El Paisano\"" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Oops, Kristy Johnston (2nd place finisher) also had the "A" standard.

    They have a cure for that now ya know?