A Star Is Born

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Nickzx6r, May 27, 2004.

  1. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    At last the long wait is over.

    My new bike has been born. For some bike pr0n, check out
    http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/

    For the trainspotters, the details are:

    - custom Reynolds 853 frame (check out the slightly bizarro
    seat tube angle)
    - Columbus Muscle full carbon fork
    - Campy Centaur 10sp groupset (53/39 & 25/12)
    - Mavic Open Pro Rims & DT spokes
    - Look Carbopost
    - Fizik Arione saddle
    - Look A5.1 pedals

    It's got no name, because the decals are black. If you look
    closely you can see who made it :)

    Woohoo!

    Now if I can just do something about this weather.

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by Nickzx6r
    >http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/

    Mmmm... blaaack.. looks very nice.. and black.. I'll have to do something else now :p

    Scary bright PINK was going to be my other choice.. maybe that Viner frame is still available.. ?? ;-)

    >- custom Reynolds 853 frame (check out the slightly bizarro
    > seat tube angle)

    >It's got no name, because the decals are black. If you look
    >closely you can see who made it :)

    Well, your eyes must be better than mine!
    All I can see is an 853 sticker.

    If I had to guess, I'd say a Kennedy, simply because of the
    lay back.. I mean waaaay back seattube angle! :)

    >Now if I can just do something about this weather.

    Ride.

    That's all there is to it!

    hippy
    - doesn't own a 'fair-weather' bike.. all are punished equally! :)

  3. gescom

    gescom New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Very nice bike Nick. Is the frame from Cecil Walker? First correct answer wins the bike, right? ;) (That's my guess from looking at the headbadge, btw who makes the Kennedy?)

  4. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    Oh yeah.. didn't notice the head badge.. I was trying to find the 'black' stickers! :)

    Is there a consolation prize? ;-)

    hippy

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Noice;)

    That's a heck of alot a steerer you got there.
    Do you intend using for TTs later or summat?

    Is it one of CWs set geometries (think mine was 'Professional' 73deg). Yours reminds me of Lance's early 90's Mercckx with the laid back seat tube and longer TT

    The black looks wicked. will surely go faster:D

  6. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Originally posted by hippy:

    >Scary bright PINK was going to be my other choice.. maybe that Viner frame is > still available.. ?? ;-)

    Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a totaly fsking white bike clean? Never again...

    Nick: Nice machine, tho I imagine you'll be doing wheelies with that way back seat.

    Suzy

  7. > If I had to guess, I'd say a Kennedy, simply because of the lay back.. I
    > mean waaaay back seattube angle! :)

    Speaking of the waaaay back seat tube angle, I'm curious as
    to why since it's a custom frame you went with such a way
    back angle and then use a seatpost with no setback when the
    more conventional approach would have been to have a steeper
    seat tube and a standard setback seatpost?

    Bruce.

    Even with the best form in the world, there's only so much
    pain a rider can withstand. Gerard Knapp - cyclingnews.com

  8. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > gescom wrote:
    > > Very nice bike Nick. Is the frame from Cecil Walker?
    > > First correct answer wins the bike, right? ;) (That's
    > > my guess from looking at the headbadge, btw who makes
    > > the Kennedy?)
    >

    > Oh yeah.. didn't notice the head badge.. I was trying to
    > find the 'black' stickers! :)
    >
    > Is there a consolation prize? ;-)
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

    nup ;)

  9. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    gescom wrote:

    > Very nice bike Nick. Is the frame from Cecil Walker? First
    > correct answer wins the bike, right? ;) (That's my guess
    > from looking at the headbadge, btw who makes the Kennedy?)
    >

    > --

    Correct! But alas no prize for you. BTW, I would've accepted
    Paconi as a correct answer too.

    Kennedys are made by....um...Kennedy :)

    --
    Nick

  10. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    suzyj wrote:

    > Originally posted by hippy:
    >

    >>Scary bright PINK was going to be my other choice.. maybe
    >>that Viner frame is > still available.. ?? ;-)
    >

    > Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a
    > totaly fsking white bike clean? Never again...
    >
    > Nick: Nice machine, tho I imagine you'll be doing wheelies
    > with that way back seat.
    >
    > Suzy
    >

    > --

    Yeah I was thinking it's going to be interesting if I can
    ride no hands as well as on the Bianchi.

    Descending might be a bit different on this bike too.

    Either way, I'll have a long honeymoon period I'm sure.

    --
    Nick

  11. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    Bruce Dickson wrote:

    >>If I had to guess, I'd say a Kennedy, simply because of
    >>the lay back.. I mean waaaay back seattube angle! :)
    >

    > Speaking of the waaaay back seat tube angle, I'm curious
    > as to why since it's a custom frame you went with such a
    > way back angle and then use a seatpost with no setback
    > when the more conventional approach would have been to
    > have a steeper seat tube and a standard setback seatpost?
    >
    > Bruce.
    >

    > Even with the best form in the world, there's only so much
    > pain a rider can withstand. Gerard Knapp - cyclingnews.com

    The seat tube angle is because...errrm....I've got
    womens legs*.

    The straight seatpost is because I got it really cheap :)

    --
    Nick

    *womens legs=long thighs.

  12. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    Bruce Dickson wrote:

    >>If I had to guess, I'd say a Kennedy, simply because of
    >>the lay back.. I mean waaaay back seattube angle! :)
    >

    > Speaking of the waaaay back seat tube angle, I'm curious
    > as to why since it's a custom frame you went with such a
    > way back angle and then use a seatpost with no setback
    > when the more conventional approach would have been to
    > have a steeper seat tube and a standard setback seatpost?
    >
    > Bruce.
    >

    > Even with the best form in the world, there's only so much
    > pain a rider can withstand. Gerard Knapp - cyclingnews.com

    I just looked at the pics again Bruce. The Arione saddle is
    longer than other saddles so if I had a 'normal' saddle it
    would probably look a bit too far forward on the rails.
    Good pick up.

    A few of you here have very keen eyes :)

    --
    Nick

  13. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Nickzx6r wrote:
    > > At last the long wait is over. My new bike has been
    > > born. For some bike pr0n, check out http://www.use-
    > > rs.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/http://www.users.on.net/~an-
    > > grydwarf/853/ For the trainspotters, the details are:
    > > - custom Reynolds 853 frame (check out the slightly
    > > bizarro seat tube angle)
    > > - Columbus Muscle full carbon fork
    > > - Campy Centaur 10sp groupset (53/39 & 25/12)
    > > - Mavic Open Pro Rims & DT spokes
    > > - Look Carbopost
    > > - Fizik Arione saddle
    > > - Look A5.1 pedals Nick
    >

    > Noice;)
    >
    > That's a heck of alot a steerer you got there. Do you
    > intend using for TTs later or summat?
    >
    > Is it one of CWs set geometries (think mine was
    > 'Professional' 73deg). Yours reminds me of Lance's early
    > 90's Mercckx with the laid back seat tube and longer TT
    >
    > The black looks wicked. will surely go faster:D
    >

    > --

    I left that much steerer so I can ride it for a bit and
    decide where I want the bars. THen I'll cut the excess off.
    I decided that was a better idea than lopping it all off and
    then wanting the bars higher.

    It's a custom geometry and I think the seat tube is an
    insane 69deg :)

    Actually, it's a shorter top tube than the Bianchi it
    replaces. I've gone from a 57tt & 55st to a 53tt & 55st. I
    reckon it looks a bit strange because it's short and tall.
    The wheelbase has also shrunk from 100cm to 97cm.

    I'll report on the handling after tomorrow :)

    --
    Nick

  14. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "suzyj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Originally posted by hippy:
    >
    >> Scary bright PINK was going to be my other choice.. maybe
    >> that Viner frame is > still available.. ?? ;-)
    >
    > Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a
    > totaly fsking white bike clean? Never again...

    Black show up dirt more than you'd expect, too.

    Maybe AusCam would work?

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  15. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by Drs
    >>"suzyj"
    >> Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to keep a
    >> totaly fsking white bike clean? Never again...
    >
    >Black show up dirt more than you'd expect, too.
    >Maybe AusCam would work?

    From my car knowledge.. black and white look fantastic in the showroom and rapidly turn into dirt magnets outside..

    Unfortunately, black stuff looks so damn nice! :)

    What's AusCam?

    I need to paint/coat a bike.. hmm... <moves to street fix thread>

    hippy

  16. Drs

    Drs Guest

  17. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    hippy wrote:
    >>Originally posted by Drs
    >>
    >>>"suzyj" Just don't do white. You know how hard it is to
    >>>keep a totaly fsking white bike clean? Never again...
    >>
    >>Black show up dirt more than you'd expect, too. Maybe
    >>AusCam would work?
    >

    > From my car knowledge.. black and white look fantastic in
    > the showroom and rapidly turn into dirt magnets outside..
    >
    > Unfortunately, black stuff looks so damn nice! :)
    >
    > What's AusCam?
    >
    > I need to paint/coat a bike.. hmm... <moves to street
    > fix thread>
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

    True, but I think cars a bit different because they have
    large, relatively flat surfaces. And, a bike frame is less
    effort to keep clean.

    Anyway, the review...

    I took it out for a 50km shakedown ride yesterday along
    Beach Rd. The ride is a lot smoother presumably because of
    the carbon fork.

    Also, surprisingly, it's no problem riding no hands. I
    thought the short wheelbase and light front end would make
    it a bit twitchy.

    The other thing I notice a lot is that it's just _really_
    comfortable. I can just sit on it and pedal and it seems to
    go on its own. No doubt the
    1.5kg less weight than the Bianchi helps with that. The ride
    was only 50km because I ran out of time and had other
    things to do. Otherwise I think I could've easily done 80-
    100km and not been buggered. I'm sure there's an element
    of 'new bike euphoria' that helps to numb any pain :)

    The only 'issue' with it is that the frame geomtry means
    there's a bit of toe overlap with the front wheel so I have
    to train myself to take tight corners without having one
    foot all the way forward.

    Anyway, time for lunch before I head on down to Vodafone :)

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

  18. On Fri, 28 May 2004 19:46:38 +1000, NickZX6R
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Actually, it's a shorter top tube than the Bianchi it
    >replaces. I've gone from a 57tt & 55st to a 53tt & 55st. I
    >reckon it looks a bit strange because it's short and tall.
    >The wheelbase has also shrunk from 100cm to 97cm.

    Angles and measurements can be deceiving. My Scapin has a
    56tt, 53st and 100cm wheelbase. It should look more laid-
    back than yours, but it doesn't.

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/sherratt/aa_752_001.jpg

    vs

    http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/853_1.jpg

    >I'll report on the handling after tomorrow :)

    Should give you a comfy ride :)

    Mine's super stable.

    --
    Regards. Richard.

  19. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    Gemma Kernich wrote:
    > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>At last the long wait is over.
    >>
    >>My new bike has been born. For some bike pr0n, check out
    >>http://www.users.on.net/~angrydwarf/853/
    >>

    > When do we get to see a picture of you on the
    > aforementioned bike P0rN? *grin* Cheers Gemm

    Ummmm...when I find somebody who will get up early in the
    morning and ride with me.

    Anyway, don't get your hopes up - you might be disappointed.
    In the meantime, here's a pic of me having fun ;)

    http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~nmr/nick.jpg

    --
    Nick