A Strange Fear

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by muchamotion, Jun 2, 2003.

  1. muchamotion

    muchamotion New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8 miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid
    up for 6 months.

    Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.

    Thanx

    Tags:

  2. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    Just relax and lay back into the seat. No way to throw your back out in that position. Start building your confidense by riding on mildly breezy days and work up to stiffer winds. Soon your fears will diminish. With the bent, your back is fully supported.

    Good Luck.

    :p

  3. In order: get a fairing. get an e-motor to assist till the fear is gone. work on building up your
    leg muscles, increase stamina. I just came home riding into a 41 km N. wind..brrr cold. cross winds
    can be a bitch too. use Power Grips on your pedals, you'll see a marked improvement in power.

    "muchamotion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8
    > miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am
    > very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while
    > riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.
    >
    > Thanx

  4. "muchamotion" skrev...
    > I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8
    > miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am
    > very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while
    > riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.

    A trike for windy days? If the wind tips you on that you probably shouldn't have been riding in the
    first place ;o)

    M.

  5. Srod

    Srod Guest

    "Wile E. Coyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > In order: get a fairing. get an e-motor to assist till the fear is gone. work on building up
    > your leg muscles, increase stamina. I just came home riding into a 41 km N. wind..brrr cold.
    > cross winds can be a bitch too. use Power Grips on your pedals, you'll see a marked improvement
    > in power.
    >
    > "muchamotion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to
    > > 8 miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I
    > > am very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind
    > > while riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.
    > >
    > > Thanx
    > >

    > > --

  6. Chere

    Chere Guest

    Therapy? j/k!

    --
    Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

  7. Floyd Sense

    Floyd Sense Guest

    While it may not seem like it, this really is a serious suggestion. Go get a copy of the Lance
    Armstrong book "It's not about the bike" and read it. After that, whatever problems you have riding
    will seem very small indeed. Works for me!

    "muchamotion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8
    > miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am
    > very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while
    > riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
    >
    > Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.
    >
    > Thanx

  8. Jammer

    Jammer Guest

    a herniated disc is nothing to laugh about..yes lance had a tough time but that doesnt lessen the
    problems we have...try going out in stronger winds until you feel safe, but by no means in heavy
    traffic. not even when you get confident.

    news:<[email protected]>...