A Strange Fear

muchamotion

New Member
May 24, 2003
I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8 miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid
up for 6 months.

Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.

Thanx

Just relax and lay back into the seat. No way to throw your back out in that position. Start building your confidense by riding on mildly breezy days and work up to stiffer winds. Soon your fears will diminish. With the bent, your back is fully supported.

Good Luck.

:p

In order: get a fairing. get an e-motor to assist till the fear is gone. work on building up your
leg muscles, increase stamina. I just came home riding into a 41 km N. wind..brrr cold. cross winds
can be a ***** too. use Power Grips on your pedals, you'll see a marked improvement in power.

"muchamotion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8
> miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am
> very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while
> riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.
>
> Thanx

"muchamotion" skrev...
> I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8
> miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am
> very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while
> riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.

A trike for windy days? If the wind tips you on that you probably shouldn't have been riding in the
first place ;o)

M.

"Wile E. Coyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> In order: get a fairing. get an e-motor to assist till the fear is gone. work on building up
> your leg muscles, increase stamina. I just came home riding into a 41 km N. wind..brrr cold.
> cross winds can be a ***** too. use Power Grips on your pedals, you'll see a marked improvement
> in power.
>
> "muchamotion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to
> > 8 miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I
> > am very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind
> > while riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.
> >
> > Thanx
> >

> > --

Therapy? j/k!

--
Chere ~ GRR Sanibel, FL / Cumberland, MD

While it may not seem like it, this really is a serious suggestion. Go get a copy of the Lance
Armstrong book "It's not about the bike" and read it. After that, whatever problems you have riding
will seem very small indeed. Works for me!

"muchamotion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I need help. I have been riding a Cannondale 'bent for about 10 mpnths and I love it. I am up to 8
> miles for each ride. It doesn't sound like much but it's an accomplishment for me. Anyway. I am
> very nervous about biking when it is windy out. A few years ago I got caught in a big wind while
> riding and threw my back out and herniated a disk. I was laid up for 6 months.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this fear? I am missing alot of ride time because of it.
>
> Thanx

a herniated disc is nothing to laugh about..yes lance had a tough time but that doesnt lessen the
problems we have...try going out in stronger winds until you feel safe, but by no means in heavy
traffic. not even when you get confident.

news:<[email protected]>...