A surreal New Years Eve ride!?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by tchak attack, Jan 11, 2005.

1. tchak attack

tchak attack New Member

I realize I'm a little bit late in reporting this, my official justified excuse is "writers block". Anyways, New Years Eve in Chicago, normally the temperature is in the low thirties, on this past December 31, 2004 the temperture at 1 p.m. was 57 degrees and sunny it was incredible to say the least. I rode a nineteen mile loop from Montrose Ave to the Mueseum Campus and back on the lakefront trail. Normally on this ride in the winter months I will see up to 25 to 100 people MAX. This day was so abnormally warm and sunny plus the fact that is was a holiday that it seemed like a cool September day. There were many hundreds of peolpe on the trail and not just cyclists and runners, there were roller bladers, moms and their buggies, couples walking, couples actually sitting on the beach, groups of people walking, many people were in shorts, I remember even seeing one guy roller blading with no shirt on! Trust me for Midwest Chicago in late December this is rare. A group said "Happy New Years" as I rode by after that commet I started saying it to people as I came up to them most of them smiled and said it back. I had the biggest smile, not just on my face but my whole body was wearing a smile! It just felt so good to be alive and doing what I was doing for that hour or so last December 31, 2005. :)

Tags:

2. JonnyD

JonnyD New Member

Wait! It gets better. I moved from Skokie to Los Angeles in 1987 so I could ride my bike year 'round. Since December 26 we have had nearly non-stop rain totalling 16 inches and it's been colder here than in Chicago during much of this time. It's been so bad that I was longing to ride along the North Shore. New Year's day was the only rideable since X-Mas until today that is.