A thank you

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ddgm, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. ddgm

    ddgm Guest

    A big thank you to everyone who responded to my original posts. Especially
    to Luna and Saffire - I am losing weight - 7 lbs so far and I am feeling
    like I am finally on track. Thanks bunches!

    ddgm

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    ddgm wrote:
    :: A big thank you to everyone who responded to my original posts.
    :: Especially to Luna and Saffire - I am losing weight - 7 lbs so far
    :: and I am feeling like I am finally on track. Thanks bunches!
    ::
    :: ddgm

    Great!

  3. Cheri

    Cheri Guest

    Good job. :)

    --
    Cheri

    ddgm wrote in message ...
    >A big thank you to everyone who responded to my original posts.

    Especially
    >to Luna and Saffire - I am losing weight - 7 lbs so far and I am

    feeling
    >like I am finally on track. Thanks bunches!
    >
    >ddgm

  4. ddgm

    ddgm Guest

    Now to ask another question.... :-D
    How many calories is the optimum for weight loss so your body doesn't go
    into 'starvation mode'? I always understood it to be around 1200, and I'm
    not far enough into the book yet to see anything about that. So far I'm
    having trouble getting even a thousand into me each day without going over
    the carb count (which by the way stays at or below the 20g). I am using the
    fitday site to help me keep track. But stupidly forgot to calculate the net
    carbs so I have the total carbs as listed on the packages, and no packages
    now to change it until I shop again. So maybe that is why I don't have
    enough calories? Any suggestions? - sorry, starting to ramble as I try to
    think this through.
    "ddgm" <[email protected],.ca> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]
    >A big thank you to everyone who responded to my original posts. Especially
    >to Luna and Saffire - I am losing weight - 7 lbs so far and I am feeling
    >like I am finally on track. Thanks bunches!
    >
    > ddgm

  5. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    says...
    > A big thank you to everyone who responded to my original posts. Especially
    > to Luna and Saffire - I am losing weight - 7 lbs so far and I am feeling
    > like I am finally on track. Thanks bunches!

    You're welcome!

    --
    Saffire
    205/136/125

    *** This post originated in alt.support.diet.low-carb -- its appearance
    in any other forum is deceptive and unauthorized. ***

  6. I believe the rule-of-thumb is 10-12X body weight.

  7. ddgm wrote:

    > How many calories is the optimum for weight loss so your body doesn't go
    > into 'starvation mode'?

    About 500 per day under the amount you can eat without loss.
    Not that that could helpp you directly unless you logged your
    calories for a month before starting to know a maintenance
    calorie guess.

    The problem is any other answer ends up a guess based on
    commonly quoted guidelines and those might or might not
    work for you. I've seen estimates ranging from 8 calories per
    pound of goal weight through 12 calories per pound of current
    weight. You could do worse than figuring out those two
    numbers and averging them. Doing that would give you a
    sliding scale as you lose and it assumes that fat consumes
    less calories than lean.

    > I always understood it to be around 1200, and I'm
    > not far enough into the book yet to see anything about that.

    Which book? Sorry but I didn't check your posting history.
    Not many low carb programs do suggest calorie ranges.

    > So far I'm
    > having trouble getting even a thousand into me each day without going over
    > the carb count (which by the way stays at or below the 20g).

    There are plenty of near-zero carb foods. Nearly any type
    of meat. It doesn't take much of that to boost your calories
    to a better range. Remember - Before low carbing hunger
    was to be fought but now without hunger food is for fuel so
    it doesn't take being hungry to eat. It just takes being
    below your calorie goal for the day to eat.

    > But stupidly forgot to calculate the net
    > carbs so I have the total carbs as listed on the packages, and no packages
    > now to change it until I shop again.

    Not a biggie. Using total carbs does work it just gives a
    lower amount of veggies for the same count.

    > So maybe that is why I don't have enough calories?

    Likely.

    > Any suggestions?

    More veggies to estimate the difference between net and total.
    A bit more meat to move the total calories up some but not a
    lot. But mostly, worry less and work the process. You're doing
    fine.

  8. ddgm

    ddgm Guest

    Thank you Doug. I appreciate your input. I'll keep on, keeping on, for now.
    "Doug Freyburger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > ddgm wrote:
    >>
    >> How many calories is the optimum for weight loss so your body doesn't go
    >> into 'starvation mode'?

    > About 500 per day under the amount you can eat without loss.
    > Not that that could helpp you directly unless you logged your
    > calories for a month before starting to know a maintenance
    > calorie guess.
    >
    > The problem is any other answer ends up a guess based on
    > commonly quoted guidelines and those might or might not
    > work for you. I've seen estimates ranging from 8 calories per
    > pound of goal weight through 12 calories per pound of current
    > weight. You could do worse than figuring out those two
    > numbers and averging them. Doing that would give you a
    > sliding scale as you lose and it assumes that fat consumes
    > less calories than lean.
    >
    >> I always understood it to be around 1200, and I'm
    >> not far enough into the book yet to see anything about that.

    > Which book? Sorry but I didn't check your posting history.
    > Not many low carb programs do suggest calorie ranges.
    >
    >> So far I'm
    >> having trouble getting even a thousand into me each day without going
    >> over
    >> the carb count (which by the way stays at or below the 20g).

    > There are plenty of near-zero carb foods. Nearly any type
    > of meat. It doesn't take much of that to boost your calories
    > to a better range. Remember - Before low carbing hunger
    > was to be fought but now without hunger food is for fuel so
    > it doesn't take being hungry to eat. It just takes being
    > below your calorie goal for the day to eat.
    >
    >> But stupidly forgot to calculate the net
    >> carbs so I have the total carbs as listed on the packages, and no
    >> packages
    >> now to change it until I shop again.

    > Not a biggie. Using total carbs does work it just gives a
    > lower amount of veggies for the same count.
    >
    >> So maybe that is why I don't have enough calories?

    > Likely.
    >
    >> Any suggestions?

    > More veggies to estimate the difference between net and total.
    > A bit more meat to move the total calories up some but not a
    > lot. But mostly, worry less and work the process. You're doing
    > fine.

  9. ddgm

    ddgm Guest

  10. Dont get caught up in the small details.

    Eat plenty of lean meats and plenty of fibreous veggies and get in some
    healthy fats and your gold.

    Stick to that and the small details will majically work themselves out.

  11. [email protected] wrote:
    > Dont get caught up in the small details.
    >
    > Eat plenty of lean meats and plenty of fibreous veggies and get in some
    > healthy fats and your gold.
    >
    > Stick to that and the small details will majically work themselves out.

    I agree. Sticking to lots of meats and eggs, lots of veggies, lots of
    water, reasonable amounts of dairy and nuts... that's the best basic
    plan.

    "Tweaking" is really only for addressing problems, if ya ain't got any,
    don't worry about it.

  12. Marengo

    Marengo Guest

    On 24 Mar 2006 06:36:33 -0800, "[email protected]"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    |Dont get caught up in the small details.
    |
    |Eat plenty of lean meats and plenty of fibreous veggies and get in some
    |healthy fats and your gold.
    |
    |Stick to that and the small details will majically work themselves out.

    I sort of agree with this. Since about February 28th I've been back
    on my meat/chicken/fish and non-starchy veggies regimen with an
    occasional low-carb treat. I've lost 18 pounds so far in less than a
    month, although I don't expect to keep up this rate of loss.. I enter
    everything in Fitday, and it comes out to about 1200 calories a day
    that I'm eating, which is about half of what some say is the minimum
    based on the 10-12X body weight. So far no sign of "starvation mode"
    or stalling. Guess it's one of those YMMV things.