A tip of the hat to...

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bob Schwartz, Dec 3, 2005.

  1. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
    Champion. The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
    discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
    incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.

    The 1960s races awarded stars and stripes jerseys and medals,
    and in 1990 Nestor Evancevich, who at the time was the Illinois
    District Rep, began an effort to recognize those early events as
    true national championships. Late that year he was successful.

    One of the sources I have been using for US national champions is
    the old USCF rulebooks which listed them in the back. My oldest
    one is from 1992 and by then they were only listing 10 years back.
    The complete list was only published once, in the 1991 rulebook.
    I missed it by a year.

    As a side note, the very first cyclocross race I ever went to
    was at a farm outside of Freeport, IL, sponsored by Tyger's bike
    shop in nearby Dakota.

    I now believe my listing of US 'cross champions is complete.

    http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/us_cross.html

    Thanks to Tyger for providing this information.

    http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/johnson.jpg

    Bob Schwartz

    Tags:

  2. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  3. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

  4. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    Thanks! Nice to see those names from the 60s and 70s again.

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
    > Champion. The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
    > discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
    > incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.
    >
    > The 1960s races awarded stars and stripes jerseys and medals,
    > and in 1990 Nestor Evancevich, who at the time was the Illinois
    > District Rep, began an effort to recognize those early events as
    > true national championships. Late that year he was successful.
    >
    > One of the sources I have been using for US national champions is
    > the old USCF rulebooks which listed them in the back. My oldest
    > one is from 1992 and by then they were only listing 10 years back.
    > The complete list was only published once, in the 1991 rulebook.
    > I missed it by a year.
    >
    > As a side note, the very first cyclocross race I ever went to
    > was at a farm outside of Freeport, IL, sponsored by Tyger's bike
    > shop in nearby Dakota.
    >
    > I now believe my listing of US 'cross champions is complete.
    >
    > http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/us_cross.html
    >
    > Thanks to Tyger for providing this information.
    >
    > http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/johnson.jpg
    >
    > Bob Schwartz

  5. On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:07:22 -0600, Bob Schwartz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
    >Champion. The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
    >discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
    >incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.

    They did something similar with collegiate racing. Penn State hosted
    a national championship RR in the fall of 1985, for example -- I
    remember because a woman from my college won. The USCF newsletter even
    ran an article about it.

    Then some years later I saw publicity about the "first" collegiate
    national championship being schedule. Riighhtt...

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. h squared

    h squared Guest

    Bob Schwartz wrote:

    >The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
    > discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
    > incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.

    [snip]
    > I now believe my listing of US 'cross champions is complete.

    good work bob :) and hey, rbr was good for something constructive (!?)
    (i'm assuming it was xzzy's post that alerted you to the forgotten 60's
    events)

    heather

  7. Bob Schwartz wrote:
    > Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
    > Champion.

    > As a side note, the very first cyclocross race I ever went to
    > was at a farm outside of Freeport, IL, sponsored by Tyger's bike
    > shop in nearby Dakota.

    Tyger was still AFTBRW in the crit races in that area through the early
    80's.

    They "rolled 'em off" for a crit while TJ was apparently visiting the
    bushes (I think it was a courthouse in a town square). He ran, mounted
    on the fly, and IMS placed in the race (might have won the thing). Good
    sprint and smart rider whom you could hear the other "old guys"
    bemoaning apres-race. --D-y, former USCF #L08045

  8. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    h squared wrote:
    > (i'm assuming it was xzzy's post that alerted you to the forgotten 60's
    > events)

    Yeah, that and Tyger's not being that hard to look up.
    The unfortunate thing is that I suspect the complete
    stories of those races are gone. I want to spend some
    more time on the phone with Tyger, but one of those
    winners was only documented by a couple of the others
    swearing that he won it that year. I fear that these are
    results that only live in the memories of the participants.

    Bob Schwartz

  9. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

    > h squared wrote:
    > > (i'm assuming it was xzzy's post that alerted you to the forgotten 60's
    > > events)

    > Yeah, that and Tyger's not being that hard to look up.
    > The unfortunate thing is that I suspect the complete
    > stories of those races are gone. I want to spend some
    > more time on the phone with Tyger, but one of those
    > winners was only documented by a couple of the others
    > swearing that he won it that year. I fear that these are
    > results that only live in the memories of the participants.

    And that makes what you're trying to do even more important and cool, Bob.
    Thanks for putting in the effort.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard