A tip of the hat to...



B

Bob Schwartz

Guest
Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
Champion. The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.

The 1960s races awarded stars and stripes jerseys and medals,
and in 1990 Nestor Evancevich, who at the time was the Illinois
District Rep, began an effort to recognize those early events as
true national championships. Late that year he was successful.

One of the sources I have been using for US national champions is
the old USCF rulebooks which listed them in the back. My oldest
one is from 1992 and by then they were only listing 10 years back.
The complete list was only published once, in the 1991 rulebook.
I missed it by a year.

As a side note, the very first cyclocross race I ever went to
was at a farm outside of Freeport, IL, sponsored by Tyger's bike
shop in nearby Dakota.

I now believe my listing of US 'cross champions is complete.

http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/us_cross.html

Thanks to Tyger for providing this information.

http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/johnson.jpg

Bob Schwartz
 
B

B. Lafferty

Guest
Thanks! Nice to see those names from the 60s and 70s again.

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
> Champion. The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
> discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
> incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.
>
> The 1960s races awarded stars and stripes jerseys and medals,
> and in 1990 Nestor Evancevich, who at the time was the Illinois
> District Rep, began an effort to recognize those early events as
> true national championships. Late that year he was successful.
>
> One of the sources I have been using for US national champions is
> the old USCF rulebooks which listed them in the back. My oldest
> one is from 1992 and by then they were only listing 10 years back.
> The complete list was only published once, in the 1991 rulebook.
> I missed it by a year.
>
> As a side note, the very first cyclocross race I ever went to
> was at a farm outside of Freeport, IL, sponsored by Tyger's bike
> shop in nearby Dakota.
>
> I now believe my listing of US 'cross champions is complete.
>
> http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/us_cross.html
>
> Thanks to Tyger for providing this information.
>
> http://www.cvccbike.com/ten_years/johnson.jpg
>
> Bob Schwartz
 
J

John Forrest Tomlinson

Guest
On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 22:07:22 -0600, Bob Schwartz
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
>Champion. The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
>discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
>incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.


They did something similar with collegiate racing. Penn State hosted
a national championship RR in the fall of 1985, for example -- I
remember because a woman from my college won. The USCF newsletter even
ran an article about it.

Then some years later I saw publicity about the "first" collegiate
national championship being schedule. Riighhtt...

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
 
H

h squared

Guest
Bob Schwartz wrote:

>The ABLA ran the event from 1963-1969 when it was
> discontinued and forgotten. I have a reference that refers
> incorrectly to the 1975 race as the first ever.

[snip]
> I now believe my listing of US 'cross champions is complete.


good work bob :) and hey, rbr was good for something constructive (!?)
(i'm assuming it was xzzy's post that alerted you to the forgotten 60's
events)

heather
 
Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Tyger Johnson, who in 1963 was the first US National Cyclocross
> Champion.


> As a side note, the very first cyclocross race I ever went to
> was at a farm outside of Freeport, IL, sponsored by Tyger's bike
> shop in nearby Dakota.


Tyger was still AFTBRW in the crit races in that area through the early
80's.

They "rolled 'em off" for a crit while TJ was apparently visiting the
bushes (I think it was a courthouse in a town square). He ran, mounted
on the fly, and IMS placed in the race (might have won the thing). Good
sprint and smart rider whom you could hear the other "old guys"
bemoaning apres-race. --D-y, former USCF #L08045
 
B

Bob Schwartz

Guest
h squared wrote:
> (i'm assuming it was xzzy's post that alerted you to the forgotten 60's
> events)


Yeah, that and Tyger's not being that hard to look up.
The unfortunate thing is that I suspect the complete
stories of those races are gone. I want to spend some
more time on the phone with Tyger, but one of those
winners was only documented by a couple of the others
swearing that he won it that year. I fear that these are
results that only live in the memories of the participants.

Bob Schwartz
 
H

Howard Kveck

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
Bob Schwartz <[email protected]> wrote:

> h squared wrote:
> > (i'm assuming it was xzzy's post that alerted you to the forgotten 60's
> > events)

>
> Yeah, that and Tyger's not being that hard to look up.
> The unfortunate thing is that I suspect the complete
> stories of those races are gone. I want to spend some
> more time on the phone with Tyger, but one of those
> winners was only documented by a couple of the others
> swearing that he won it that year. I fear that these are
> results that only live in the memories of the participants.


And that makes what you're trying to do even more important and cool, Bob.
Thanks for putting in the effort.

--
tanx,
Howard

The sheriff is near...

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?