A Tough Decision....

LRDGRat

Oct 8, 2004
Hey

I am currently looking to buy a new bike for under $3500. The Cannondale Six13 Centaur seems to be one of my best options right now. But my conflict: I can get a $6000 Merlin Fergie for $2500 - its a 2001 Model, 100% Titanium, never-before-ridden, and has a 56CM Frame (my size). Now, i've never dealt with Merlins before (only been on the biking scene for 2 years and Merlin was merged into some other company in 2002) so i was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice?

Matt

LRDGRat said:
Hey

I am currently looking to buy a new bike for under $3500. The Cannondale Six13 Centaur seems to be one of my best options right now. But my conflict: I can get a $6000 Merlin Fergie for $2500 - its a 2001 Model, 100% Titanium, never-before-ridden, and has a 56CM Frame (my size). Now, i've never dealt with Merlins before (only been on the biking scene for 2 years and Merlin was merged into some other company in 2002) so i was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice?

Matt

You left out a lot of important details, what does the Merlin have on it?

I would assume that what you call a $6000 bike has either Dura-Ace or Record components. If so, that's about $1800 worth right there. That means you are getting everything else, including a Ti frame for $700. Sounds like a no-brainer to me! Then again, I love Ti. :)

Without actually owning a Merlin myself, I can say that I have seen these bikes often, and they are beautiful. While it wouldn't help you too much buying used, look at Merlin's website to get info on the company, products, etc. I would definitely go for the ti. The Cannondale is nice, but it's not the same as a Merlin.