A Tough Training Plan

Karp

Jan 5, 2004
Hi Guys!

I am a 18 yeard old boy from Sweden. I have been into sports all my life but recently I fell in love with cycling. I feel that the training is going fine and I would really enjoy participating in my first competitions this summer.

Now my question is..... I have checked out som TT results made by 18 yeard-olds and I have understood that I must be able to maintain 25 mph for about half an hour to be at least a bit competitive.

How should I train to be able to ride 25mph on my own for half an hour by, let´s say, July. At the moment I can maintain 22.5-23 mph for 30 min.

I haven´t made any serious training rides yet, could you pros give me some advice!!

Originally posted by Karp
Hi Guys!

I am a 18 yeard old boy from Sweden. I have been into sports all my life but recently I fell in love with cycling. I feel that the training is going fine and I would really enjoy participating in my first competitions this summer.

Now my question is..... I have checked out som TT results made by 18 yeard-olds and I have understood that I must be able to maintain 25 mph for about half an hour to be at least a bit competitive.

How should I train to be able to ride 25mph on my own for half an hour by, let´s say, July. At the moment I can maintain 22.5-23 mph for 30 min.

I haven´t made any serious training rides yet, could you pros give me some advice!!

karp

Likewise but I have 30 years on you. I don't think I am the right person to reply to your post but here is my pennies worth. Firstly put in the miles and get yourself a serious base, then ride some hills on a regular basis and finally try to find a motorcycling friend and draught him at 25 mph plus. Wish you all the best and hope we can both break the hour on a 25m/40km TT this year

Sean

my 0.02 cents.... 8 weeks base... start at 8 hours, work up to 14 - 16 hours per week......6 weeks quality work, include intervals, moterpacing ect.....2 weeks wind down for event.....

thats very basic, but will help you with a short term goal, to do better long term mabey do a longer base and not worry to much about being 100% competive in July.... just my opinion, good luck

I more or less agree with the others.

First you need to establish a good solid base of low-moderate (65-80% of your maximum heart rate) intensity cycling. Ideally, you should work on this base for atleast three months. To do this try starting with about seven hours of cycling a week (with atleast one rest day per week) and adding a hour each week. But, then every fourth week cut back. For instance: 7,8,9,6,8,9,10,7,9,8,10,8 hours base weeks 1-12.

Once you have done this you are ready to start working a bit more on intensity. Maybe try adding one fartlek session per week to your training, which is just riding with a varied pace as fast or slow as you want for about 45mins. And, maybe try riding 10-15 mins above 85% of your maximum heart rate toward the end of one ride per week. Please try to stick with these two sessions only once a week (Remember you are trying to build your fitness up.....Not, destroy it by overloading it with too much too soon. And, one more thing....Try doing this type of riding for atleast one month, but two months would be better. And, also slighlty cut back on your riding time per week. For instance, 9,7,9,7,9,7,9,7 hours per week with atleast one rest day per week.

And, once you have completed the above four to five month preparation, you will be physically and mentally ready to add someone interval sessions. Try doing these on a turbo trainer or ergo, like a taxc flow, so you have complete control over your riding environment. These sessions will be hard....For example, after a 15 min warm-up at an easy pace, try riding at your 25mph pace or all out time trialling race pace for 5min then ride easy until you feel you have fully recovered then repeat it once again. The first time try doing 3 or 4 repeats, and then add one extra repeat each week until you are doing 8 repeats. By doing 8 repeats you will actually doing 40 mins total at your race pace, which is much better than all out thirty minute efforts that most other fools will be trying to do. But, remeber it is very important to fully recover between each hard effort and finish with a comfortable cool down.

During this period you may feel that you are progressing really well. But, be carefull not to over do it. So, make sure you take two rest days per week with easy recovery rides between your hard seesions. And, cut back your riding time back down to 7,5,7,5 and try to race on the 5 hour per week weeks....You will be fully rested and ready to fly.

And, most important of all, just have fun!!! Don't turn cycling into work!!! Improvement will come with time and experience....And, not foolish bulk training. So, don't rush it....Train smart and you will race smart.

Good Luck

Scott