A very humorous snippet

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jeffrey Spahn, Jun 23, 2003.

  1. I found the following on MJ's website. Very funny. He is giving a speech about a Mountain bike race
    site he visited 4 days after the race:

    "The last race was held last September 23. I visited the park four days later, to document the
    damage that was done to the park. The race course was twenty miles long, so I knew I couldn't
    possibly hike it in a day. Consequently I borrowed a friend's mountain bike. It was lucky that I
    did, because I discovered that, contrary to what the mountain bikers claim, riding a bike off of
    paved roads is no fun at all! I rode only on fire roads, but even there, I was continually subject
    to violent jarring, due to the hoof- and tire-pocked "washboard" surface of the road. (I know that
    there are bikes with a so-called "suspension", but there is no way to make a ride like that "smooth"
    or enjoyable.)"

    I needed a good laugh today.

    Jeffrey Spahn

    Tags:

  2. "Jeffrey Spahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I found the following on MJ's website. Very funny. He is giving a speech about a Mountain bike
    > race site he visited 4 days after the race:
    >
    > "The last race was held last September 23. I visited the park four days later, to document the
    > damage that was done to the park. The race course was twenty miles long, so I knew I couldn't
    > possibly hike it in a day. Consequently I borrowed a friend's mountain bike. It was lucky that I
    > did, because I discovered that, contrary to what the mountain bikers claim, riding a bike off of
    > paved roads is no fun at all! I rode only on fire roads, but even there, I was continually subject
    > to violent jarring, due to the hoof- and tire-pocked "washboard" surface of the road. (I know that
    > there are bikes with a so-called "suspension", but there is no way to make a ride like that
    > "smooth" or enjoyable.)"

    Oh yeah, no fun at all. We're secretly all just masochists.

  3. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeffrey Spahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I found the following on MJ's website. Very funny. He is giving a speech about a Mountain bike
    > > race site he visited 4 days after the race:
    > >
    > > "The last race was held last September 23. I visited the park four days later, to document the
    > > damage that was done to the park. The race course was twenty miles long, so I knew I couldn't
    > > possibly hike it in a day. Consequently I borrowed a friend's mountain bike. It was lucky that I
    > > did, because I discovered that, contrary to what the mountain bikers claim, riding a bike off of
    > > paved roads is no fun at all! I rode only on fire roads, but even there, I was continually
    > > subject to violent jarring, due to the hoof- and tire-pocked "washboard" surface of the road. (I
    > > know that there are bikes with a so-called "suspension", but there is no way to make a ride like
    > > that "smooth" or enjoyable.)"
    >
    > Oh yeah, no fun at all. We're secretly all just masochists.

    He actually rode a mountain bike? And contributed more to the already mtb damaged landscape? Seems
    like he's a hypocrite. Regardless of the reasons that he uses to justify it. It seems to be a very
    poor attitude: "If other people have been racing their bulldozers, it's OK for me to race mine."
    --
    Westie

  4. Higb

    Higb Guest

    Jeffrey Spahn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I found the following on MJ's website. Very funny. He is giving a speech about a Mountain bike
    > race site he visited 4 days after the race:

    > "The last race was held last September 23. I visited the park four days later, to document the
    > damage that was done to the park. The race course was twenty miles long, so I knew I couldn't
    > possibly hike it in a day. Consequently I borrowed a friend's mountain bike. [...]

    That's the ticket!

    I don't actually _enjoy_ mountain biking ... I just feel I should get out there and check trail
    conditions a couple times a week. It's not for me, it's for the children. ;-)

    higb

  5. "higb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jeffrey Spahn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > I found the following on MJ's website. Very funny. He is giving a speech about a Mountain bike
    > > race site he visited 4 days after the race:
    >
    > > "The last race was held last September 23. I visited the park four days later, to document the
    > > damage that was done to the park. The race course was twenty miles long, so I knew I couldn't
    > > possibly hike it in a day. Consequently I borrowed a friend's mountain bike. [...]
    >
    > That's the ticket!
    >
    > I don't actually _enjoy_ mountain biking ... I just feel I should get out there and check trail
    > conditions a couple times a week. It's not for me, it's for the children. ;-)
    >
    > higb

    Good one.