A very strange tool - please help

anna maria <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.annamariavolpi.com/strange_pan.html

I don't know the name but I used to have one. You soak it in water for several hours and then, in my
case, grill chicken breast, chops, etc. in it. Wish I knew where mine went. Once the pores of the
clay are heavily blocked with cooking deposits, a little fine sandpaper applied to the inside helps
to revive its function.

Remember to pour excess grease out before flipping it over or you'll have a mess and probably a fire
on your hands.

Made good burgers, too, if I recall correctly.

http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups ---= 19 East/West-
Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

> anna maria asks:
>
>A friend of mine bought in Italy about 25 years ago this very strange kitchen tool:
>
>http://www.annamariavolpi.com/strange_pan.html
>
>any idea what is this strange pan for?
>
>Ciao,
>
>Anna Maria
>

>http://www.annamariavolpi.com/page28.html

Looks like a version of Toast-T-Tite, a device for making enclosed sandwiches on stovetop
burners... place a slice of bread on one half, fill as desired, place another slice of bread and
close device snugly. Toast over gas cook top until desired doneness is achieved (I seriously doubt
it would work with electric cook tops). Something tells me that type, lined with terra cotta,
should be soaked in water for a time before each use. Perhaps used lined with raw dough and filled,
to form a type of calzone.

anna maria wrote:

> A friend of mine bought in Italy about 25 years ago this very strange kitchen tool:
>
> http://www.annamariavolpi.com/strange_pan.html
>
> any idea what is this strange pan for?

It looks like a smaller version of other La Cotta pans made of ceramic material. They're generally
used to cook meats and vegetables as in the French technique called "poeler." Covered roasting with
no added liquid.

The larger ones are intended to be used in the oven. This one appears to be useful stovetop (and not
oven because of the bakelite handles). Normal usage is to soak it in water for a few minutes, drain,
put meats to cook inside with no added liquid (and any other ingredients), close and heat to a low-
medium level.

Pastorio

Mr. Wizard wrote:
> "anna maria" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>A friend of mine bought in Italy about 25 years ago this very strange kitchen tool:
>>
>>http://www.annamariavolpi.com/strange_pan.html
>>
>>any idea what is this strange pan for?
>>
>>Ciao,
>>
>>Anna Maria
>>

> It's a roaster. Soak it in water first then drain and roast your food on an open flame. I make
> calzones in mine.

Thank you very much, all of you. You clarified many of our questions, I was very curious myself
about this tool. Thanks again,