A Vicious Attack

TheoELind

Guest
I was riding home enjoying the wonderful spring weather with a
lackadaisical rhythm to my pedal strokes. I had a cadence that flowed
with everything, from my heartbeat to the rustling of trees to my
unswerving breaths to the whistling of the wind around my ears. It was
more like I was floating along, my unicycle and I moving together. I
wasn’t steering it, and it wasn’t steering me. I kept
lulling my head a little to the side so that I could see the clear blue
sky as I drifted along. I became hypnotized by the tranquility of the
moment, lost in utter bliss.

And then the mood was shattered and I was snatched back to reality
by a noise foreign to anything in my reverie. I quickly identified it
was a bicycle chain clicking as the rider coasted. I could tell from
the reflection of the sound that he was coming up behind me on the
street. I didn’t know why he sounded so close, but I reacted as I
would for a motorist, and steered over as close to the parked cars
along the side of the street as I dared. As I waited for him to pass I
tried to reclaim my nirvana. There was a muffled squeal as the cyclist
behind me squeezed his breaks.

I kept riding, a little perplexed as to why he would stay directly
behind me for so long just to slow down now, but then again, people do
weird things around unicyclists. I tried to slip back into my daze only
to be disturbed, again, by the bicyclist. This time he was pedaling
much faster and closing in on me rapidly, so I swerved back even closer
to the parked cars and waved for him to just pass already, but instead
my motion was greeted by the squeal of breaks.

By now my harmony ride was nothing more than a posthumous memory and
befuddlement was quickly flooding my conscious mind. I turned back for
the first time to see who was haunting my wake. It was a complete
stranger so I turned back around hoping he’d leave.

He didn’t leave. He decided to take the irritation level up a
notch by yelling out: “Someday you’ll get your ass jumped
for riding that **** through here!”

I didn’t respond. I knew that I deserved to be left alone, I
knew that this was my daily commute, I knew that the guy behind me was
a jackass, but I also knew that anything I could have said right then
would have either enraged him or confused him, and either way the
results wouldn’t turn out well for me.

Apparently I was still wrong. By ignoring him I had somehow insulted
him, so he proceeded to ride as fast he could in the quarter of a
block’s distance separating us. I figured that no mature human
would be brainless enough to do what it sounded like he was about to
do. So I did nothing.

And that was another mistake. I was hit by 200lb of slow-witted,
teenage biker with enough sense to test out a scratch-and-sniff at the
bottom of Puget Sound. First I was hit by his shoulder/ handlebars (not
quite sure which) in the saddle which started to throw me forward and
to the right (based on the angle at which he hit me). And immediately
after that, his right pedal thrust into the back of my left ankle
pulling my foot off the pedal and throwing me completely off balance to
go crashing into a parked car. My right elbow hit a door handle and a
caught myself with the mirror. I stood up to see the kid riding off as
fast as he could.

My unicycle is fine (it was the first thing I checked), and
I’m alright except for a sore ankle and elbow. I still cannot
picture any of his motives and certainly no justification for his
actions.

--
TheoELind
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

You sure have a way with words. You should consider writing. Although i
can't share experiences to that degree i can sympathise with your pain,
200lb slow-witted bikers hurt. I used to ride bmx before i relized i
sucked so i switched to a much easier extreme sport....

--
albino_gumby
albino_gumby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11695

TheoELind wrote:
> My unicycle is fine (it was the first thing I checked), and I’m
> alright except for a sore ankle and elbow. I still cannot picture any
> of his motives and certainly no justification for his actions.

Be glad he wasn't driving a car.

Karma may catch up to him and he may find himself one day on the
receiving end of a hit and run with a car when he's on his bike.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

When i hear things like this it makes me really angry! If it was me, i
probably would have stopped and challenged him before he had hit me,
but thats just me. Being a teenaged boy myself, its a shame that this
is the reputation that we are given by the small minority of f*ckwits.
Rant over!

Hope your ankle and elbow get better.

Ride on!
Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

"Its not that far up really" Zippy, on climbing up snowdon.

"How about not equating death with stopping?" - Alanis Morissette
Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

You gave youselve name starting with Theo....
By coloring of your account you ,athough understandebly little
surprised, stand up to the meaning of this part of name given.
The ray of creation carries ,inadverently, oposite forces of the game
of life.
Just today, in advansed 70-ties and knowing said above ,I still am
REACTIVE to humanoid behavior.(humanoids are far below the level of
animals .sic.)
Thanks for sharing.:)Acceptance is very difficult at times!:)

--
Uniwitold

Veni !Vidi !Mount ! ' Public does not perceive it reacts'. Greg
Harper.
Uniwitold's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2181

i was riding through kilmore ( town where i go to school) and i am still
pretty n00bed so i still have **** all balance but these skateboarders
followed me around one day and through there skateboards at me it
really luckily i got them back by throwing there skateboards back and
running i seriously would like to know why unicyclist cop this ****

--
jake_amos

edsbelly wrote:
> I Would say that your the best unicyclist i know with the exception of
> every other unicyclist i know

i am the eggman
[email protected] add me
jake_amos's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11587

Didja get a good look at him or his bike? If ya find him sometime make
his bike pay... he's got to lock it up somewhere.

Normally that isn't my style... but sometimes you have to help Karma
out a little bit.

--
Seager

'Team RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
Seager's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8840

sweet jesus

yea thats horrid and he should be hit by a (three wheeler)moter cycle
ha i would have probable called him an a _ _ before he hit me but i
think judging from what i heard about him that would have made him hit
me harder

look at it this way....you have a nemisis now, a unknown a _ _ nemisis
if you ever see him again ...figure out who he is and plot your
revenge....mwhahaahah..

warren

--
dorfman

I BROKE MY FIBULA!
my unicycles are like my imaginary friends that every one can see.
i am Amandas NO.2 fan!
my myspace
http://tinyurl.com/s6dct
dorfman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10880

If you ever see him again be prepared to do the uni-tennis-racket
defence, that'll put an end to his evil behavior. ;)

--
BornUgly

"Beware the advice of succesful people; they do not seek company."

"Unicyclists are an amazing, diverse, intelligent, and interesting
bunch with lots to say" - Underdog
BornUgly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11927

Seager wrote:
> Didja get a good look at him or his bike? If ya find him sometime make
> his bike pay... he's got to lock it up somewhere.
>
> Normally that isn't my style... but sometimes you have to help Karma
> out a little bit.

I would hate to stoop to his level.

Recycled: he was more of a want-to-be gangster.

--
TheoELind
TheoELind's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8872

I've not yet been asaulted on my uni but as a long time road biker I've
had several such incidents. I've been so angered that I've gotten off
my bike and yelled, even begged, the low-lifes (always speeding away in
a car after they've thrown a beer bottle/apple/egg/soft drink cup at
me) to come back and face me like a man. Figuring that I'm in better
physical shape than 95+% of folks out there because I excersice
regularly, I'm pretty sure I could kick their asses. Not one of them
has ever had the cojones to come back. Bunch of cowards. Judging by
the way your assailant sped away on his bike he's a coward too. The
one time I got sweet and immediate revenge, I had someone try to run me
off the road and I was able to unclip my left foot and kick a sizeable
dent in his rear fender. The guy sped away thinking he had hit me. I
smiled at the $1000 dent I had given him. FWIW, I'm with those who
think that sometimes karma needs a little help.

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Looks like he figured out you would be easy to knock over, so he decided
to test his theory. That's assault and battery over here. If he were
over 18 you could involve the police (if you could identify him). If
he's a teen this probably isn't worth it. If its your regular commute,
keep your eye out for him. Maybe this is a good time to start using a
glasses or helmet mirror to see what's going on back there. I don't
feel comfortable riding along the road without a mirror.

I like the idea of him being hit by someone on a motorized tricycle.
Wouldn't that be appropriate! Except motorized tricycle riders are
still "us," not like ******** car drivers. They still have to be afraid
of cars themselves.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
-- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling

johnfoss wrote:
> Maybe this is a good time to start using a glasses or helmet mirror to
> see what's going on back there. I don't feel comfortable riding along
> the road without a mirror.

'Take-a-Look '
(http://www.pacelineproducts.com/products/tkealook.html)by Pace, less
vibration than the plastic ones and more robust, mounts on glasses or
helmet, adjusts to ANY angle.

--
brian.slater

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference. If you try not
to confuse me, that will confuse me.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

that is by far the worst thing that ive ever heard of someone doing to a
unicyclinst while riding. thats terrible.

--
trials_uni

TRIALS 4 LIFE !
[image: http://tinyurl.com/qz2fv ]

koebwil wrote:
> I'm too hardcore to type. I just punch the keyboard and delete the
> letters I don't want

w00t...i got reply # 60666 in MR