A video ape for POWER training.

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by JuneBug, Feb 20, 2004.

1. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member

I am in chicago and it is still just too icky to really safely ride outside. <pout> I am edgy and waiting for the 'ice to break' so to speak.

anyway. I was just griping to my hubby that there are no real 'power ' tapes that utilize the watts. Grrr. Like all the workouts you read about. WIthout a coach or a regular schedule How do you keep motivated?
    I like workout tapes. I have a few of them from 8 of these Spinervals ((www.spinervals.com)) to a few favorite Tour de France and bike race tapes.
    There is even one with a real crit . ((My hubby's favorite)) Golden Criterium. http://www.bicyclecam.com
    I just came home from an all day seminar and it was 7 o'clock at nite...I was NOT in the mood to bike at ALL....but I put in "The Uphill Grind" tape and I did my workout just fine.

But lately this ONE tape that I got ...I am really excited at the fact that you can REALLY make it work for you on your ERGO TRAINER.

It is so useful that I have to recommend it as a recovery, a tempo or a power watt 'creativity' tape.

It is the Chris Carmicheal TIme Trial tape.
    HOW do you make it a POWER WATT session????

Well...the tape basically has the riders in a small chain ring going in 5 minute sessions where they pump it up to 95-100 rpms then rest.
    It ends with a ten minute session of 2 minutes of 80rpm then 2 minutes of 95 rpms /on and /off .

Tuesday, I did this:: I just loved it!

I pedalled with the other riders and watched as he put them thru the intervals...>BUT< instead of small chaing ring. I put it on my big chain ring and a cog where I could keep the rpms going. BUT I put my watts at my 'average watts for a 10K' and then UPPED Them each minute by 5 watts.

I kept that 95 rpms. then 'rested' at a half of the avg watts.

I did the 'ten minute ON/ oFF' at 10% increase of my favorite watts. It was BRUTAL!!!!!

That is what *I* did. but .......
    I have not tried this yet....I think some of the coach people in other posts have mentioned to up your watts 30% of that wattage you like.....and do intervals with that.
    I could do that to this tape too. I just dont think I can go 5 mintues at 95 rpms at that watts.
    (( OK I KNOW I can't)) BUT...

Maybe I could try doing it at 3 minutes...then rest longer but keep the rpms at an easier watt.

It is a good useful tape because it inspires you to keep honest with your intervals when you are alone and need to train hard.
    If you get ONE workout tape this one might be a good one for you. OK. I have no need to keep endorsing this guy. BUT. If someone could please just make a tape series that utilizes the power tap/ or ergo thingee.....concept.
    wow.

Tags:

2. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member

3. JuneBug

JuneBug New Member

OK

I kinda lied.

I did the watts to start at a *bit* less than my average watts for TT pace on a 10K

just trying to freak you all out. :p

but its still a useful tape.

4. meb

meb New Member