A virgin - go easy

Sharkey

Nov 13, 2009
I just joined the forum today. I'm relatively new to cycling. Well if you don't count the years before I could legally drive a car when I rode my bike anywhere and everywhere, just like the rest of us.

I got back into it when because of health issues I started to exercise and watch my diet. One of the exercises was to ride a stationary bike in the gym. I realized that riding outside would probably be less boring so I bought an inexpensive MTB and began experiencing the joys of a sore butt and the great outdoors in the Pacific Northwest. That was about 2 years ago. This year about June I got tired of falling behind some of my younger riding friends on their road bikes and bought a proper road bike. So now at the age of 67, some of my friends, that are 25 years my junior, struggle to keep up with me. It's great. I love it. My goal for next year is to do the 2 day STP ride from Seattle to Portland in July. So far, my longest ride has been 75 relatively hilly miles. I and one of my friends did it in 5 hours and 5 minutes so I think I'm on track to achieve my goal. About 10,000 people do this ride and some, about 2000 of them, do it in one day. The rest, including myself do it in two 100 mile days.

So I'm anxious to learn more about this sport and look forward to sharing ideas.

Now for my first question: On this forum, what's the purpose of "Friends and Contact"? How is it used? What's the advantage? I found that within minutes of becoming a registered member, I got a message that someone in the UK wanted to "be my friend". Now I'm not a suspicious person by nature. But, I've just signed up and someone I don't know now wants to "be my friend". :confused: That's a little strange, unless I'm missing something. I certainly don't want to snub anyone, and maybe it just that I don't know what being a friend on this site is all about.

welcome to the site. There are TONS of experienced riders with tons of advice and help here. I myself and somewhat new to the site but have felt very welcomed here since we all have the same interests.

I also will be doing the STP! :D you live in WA or OR?

Thanks for the welcome Bianchi10

I live in Renton Washington. I'm also a motorcyclist, so I guess I just have an affinity for 2 wheels. Maybe we'll meet up on the STP ride. Is this your first time for this? It certainly is mine. I'd have never dreamed that I'd be looking forward to doing it. I have a sailboat racing (I race sailboats too) buddy that has done it 22 years in a row and in the last two years has done it on one day. When he used to tell me about it, I thought he was nuts. Who knows, if I pull off the 2 day ride next July, maybe I'll attempt a one day event in 2011.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have made a great advance in your cycling skills in a short time. Keep it up. I am 52 and started road cycling when I was 28; I love it. One of the guys I ride with turned 80 a couple of months ago and I can't keep up with him. That doesn't mean I am slow, as he is a national class senior athlete. He has competed in the four cycling events at the Huntsman Senior Games several times, including this year. Cycling is a fountain of youth if you keep with it, as I intend to do.

You can ignore the friend request without consequence. The only one I have received so far was the same one. I am relatively new to the forum as well, but I don't know of any benefit in communicating to have a friend list. Maybe others do. Maybe for group sends of those who have commercial interests it helps to develop a list of acceptees?

the benefit of having a "friend" is if you want to send that person a personal message, it can be much easier to locate them then to search through a thread to find them. it does nothing for your status on the forum what so ever.
I have had personal experience in growing friendships over a forum. One in particular is a very good friend of mine now after 6 years on a motorcycle forum. we keep in touch through the forum, phone, email....any way we can.

So, Virgin, do you work for Boing (I meant the spelling error)? I'd say the majority of Renton has got to work there.....or so it would seem.

King Schlooge said:
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have made a great advance in your cycling skills in a short time. Keep it up. I am 52 and started road cycling when I was 28; I love it. One of the guys I ride with turned 80 a couple of months ago and I can't keep up with him. That doesn't mean I am slow, as he is a national class senior athlete. He has competed in the four cycling events at the Huntsman Senior Games several times, including this year. Cycling is a fountain of youth if you keep with it, as I intend to do.

You can ignore the friend request without consequence. The only one I have received so far was the same one. I am relatively new to the forum as well, but I don't know of any benefit in communicating to have a friend list. Maybe others do. Maybe for group sends of those who have commercial interests it helps to develop a list of acceptees?

Thanks for the welcome King, and the advise regarding the "friend" issue. I aslo agree with your statement about cycling being a fountain of youth. Or at the very least an elixer for life. Excellent cardio and calorie burn. An exercise that is very low impact and actually fun. Though I also do other forms of exercise, I don't do them because I enjoy them.

alienator said:
So, Virgin, do you work for Boing (I meant the spelling error)? I'd say the majority of Renton has got to work there.....or so it would seem.

No, and I'm glad about that as there are fewer and fewer Rentonians working for Going (I also meant the spelling error). I'm a network administrator for PACCAR. PACCAR is the parent corporation for Kenworth, Peterbilt, Foden, and DAF trucks.