A weekend in Queensland

Bleve wrote:
> > Donga wrote:

> As long as I don't get lost, it's only around 70km each way, right?
>
> You're a local, will this work? I'm assuming I can't ride on the
> Pacific Motorway?
>
> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Township-Dr-crit-to-Kooralbyn

I'm not a GC local but have driven and ridden some of these roads; your
route looks OK. You are right that the Motorway is off-limits. As to
other roads on the coast itself, some are better for riding than
others; the GC BUG could be helpful: http://www.bgc.org.au/ . Your
bikely map shows 99.8 km and that's with corners cut, so you've got a
big day along with the crit! Plus it could be fairly warm and humid. If
you wanted to be a total animal you could take the scenic detour up Mt
Tamborine on the way. If it was me, I would blow off Tam-Kooralbyn and
do Tam-borine. Someone who knows the GC Hinterland well is Chris L, who
you could contact through his blog http://life-cycle.blogspot.com/ .

Donga

Or grab your grandfolks' Corona and head out to Kooralbyn! Gold bikinis mate!

Donga wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:

> > As long as I don't get lost, it's only around 70km each way, right?
> >
> > You're a local, will this work? I'm assuming I can't ride on the
> > Pacific Motorway?
> >
> > http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Township-Dr-crit-to-Kooralbyn

> I'm not a GC local but have driven and ridden some of these roads; your
> route looks OK. You are right that the Motorway is off-limits. As to
> other roads on the coast itself, some are better for riding than
> others; the GC BUG could be helpful: http://www.bgc.org.au/ . Your
> bikely map shows 99.8 km and that's with corners cut, so you've got a
> big day along with the crit!

Yeah, but it's just a cruise, not a race, I figure around 4 hours each
way to & back from
Kooralbyn. Crit finishes at ~8, get away at around 8:30, at Kooralbyn
by 12:30,
eat their shops out of food, wave at Tam et al if I can find them,
then ride back down the hill for 4 hours. Nice day banking some k's. A
couple of weeks after that we're doing Hotham (aboc climbing camp :) )
so it'll be some good prep for that.

> Plus it could be fairly warm and humid.

Yeah, I rode Coolangatta to BNE in Nov a few years ago, quite warm.
Looks like there's lots of towns enroute though, so getting plenty to
drink will be pretty easy.

LotteBum wrote:
> Or grab your grandfolks' Corona and head out to Kooralbyn! Gold bikinis
> mate!

Close, it's a corolla :)

Bleve wrote:
> Donga wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:
> > > As long as I don't get lost, it's only around 70km each way, right?
> > >
> > > You're a local, will this work? I'm assuming I can't ride on the
> > > Pacific Motorway?
> > >
> > > http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Township-Dr-crit-to-Kooralbyn

> > I'm not a GC local but have driven and ridden some of these roads; your
> > route looks OK. You are right that the Motorway is off-limits. As to
> > other roads on the coast itself, some are better for riding than
> > others; the GC BUG could be helpful: http://www.bgc.org.au/ . Your
> > bikely map shows 99.8 km and that's with corners cut, so you've got a
> > big day along with the crit!

> Yeah, but it's just a cruise, not a race, I figure around 4 hours each
> way to & back from
> Kooralbyn. Crit finishes at ~8, get away at around 8:30, at Kooralbyn
> by 12:30,
> eat their shops out of food, wave at Tam et al if I can find them,
> then ride back down the hill for 4 hours. Nice day banking some k's. A
> couple of weeks after that we're doing Hotham (aboc climbing camp :) )
> so it'll be some good prep for that.
>
> > Plus it could be fairly warm and humid.

> Yeah, I rode Coolangatta to BNE in Nov a few years ago, quite warm.
> Looks like there's lots of towns enroute though, so getting plenty to
> drink will be pretty easy.

You can get an emu pie in Beaudesert. Why you would want to, I'm not
sure, but you can. Perhaps best to get food there rather than
Kooralbyn, which is a self-contained resort in the sticks. You'd be
competing with the racers for the sausage sizzle.
Oh, and the hills go in both directions!

Donga

Donga wrote:
> Bleve wrote:
> > Donga wrote:

> > > I'm not a GC local but have driven and ridden some of these roads; your
> > > route looks OK. You are right that the Motorway is off-limits. As to
> > > other roads on the coast itself, some are better for riding than
> > > others; the GC BUG could be helpful: http://www.bgc.org.au/ . Your
> > > bikely map shows 99.8 km and that's with corners cut, so you've got a
> > > big day along with the crit!

> > Yeah, but it's just a cruise, not a race, I figure around 4 hours each
> > way to & back from
> > Kooralbyn. Crit finishes at ~8, get away at around 8:30, at Kooralbyn
> > by 12:30,
> > eat their shops out of food, wave at Tam et al if I can find them,
> > then ride back down the hill for 4 hours. Nice day banking some k's. A
> > couple of weeks after that we're doing Hotham (aboc climbing camp :) )
> > so it'll be some good prep for that.
> >
> > > Plus it could be fairly warm and humid.

> > Yeah, I rode Coolangatta to BNE in Nov a few years ago, quite warm.
> > Looks like there's lots of towns enroute though, so getting plenty to
> > drink will be pretty easy.

> You can get an emu pie in Beaudesert. Why you would want to, I'm not
> sure, but you can.

If it's anything like Emu Bitter, I'll pass :)

Perhaps best to get food there rather than
> Kooralbyn, which is a self-contained resort in the sticks. You'd be
> competing with the racers for the sausage sizzle.

Noted, thanks.

> Oh, and the hills go in both directions!

Of course :) bikely does a nice graph of altitude.

Bleve wrote:
> Donga wrote:
> > Bleve wrote:

> > > Yeah, but it's just a cruise, not a race, I figure around 4 hours each
> > > way to & back from
> > > Kooralbyn. Crit finishes at ~8, get away at around 8:30, at Kooralbyn
> > > by 12:30,
> > > eat their shops out of food, wave at Tam et al if I can find them,
> > > then ride back down the hill for 4 hours. Nice day banking some k's. A
> > > couple of weeks after that we're doing Hotham (aboc climbing camp :) )
> > > so it'll be some good prep for that.

> > > Yeah, I rode Coolangatta to BNE in Nov a few years ago, quite warm.
> > > Looks like there's lots of towns enroute though, so getting plenty to
> > > drink will be pretty easy.

> > You can get an emu pie in Beaudesert. Why you would want to, I'm not
> > sure, but you can.

> If it's anything like Emu Bitter, I'll pass :)
>

> Perhaps best to get food there rather than
> > Kooralbyn, which is a self-contained resort in the sticks. You'd be
> > competing with the racers for the sausage sizzle.

> Noted, thanks.
>
> > Oh, and the hills go in both directions!

> Of course :) bikely does a nice graph of altitude.

Ooh, yes - that's gonna hurt! Tam might even offer to drive you home if
you fade.

Donga wrote:

> > Of course :) bikely does a nice graph of altitude.

> Ooh, yes - that's gonna hurt! Tam might even offer to drive you home if
> you fade.

It's no Alpine Classic, only 1,600m or so of height gain in 200km.