A weight loss plan that works for average cyclists?

Preston Crawford wrote:
..
|| So no bread then? That doesn't leave much except fat, meat and
|| veggies.

That's plenty.

Preston Crawford wrote:
|| This just isn't the full picture, though. I have a tremendous doctor
|| have seen about this and who my wife sees for weight loss issues (she
|| having lost over 150lbs. herself). And to him at least (and he's an
|| Ironman and quite an accomplshed cyclist as well as huge proponent of
|| losing weight through healthy eating) it's absolute fact that at
|| times
|| your body will hold onto fat with a death grip if you've lost a
|| great deal
|| of weight. It's an absolute fact that plateaus happen in large part
|| because your body metabolism readjusts.

Then eat less and/or exercise more. The body may resist, but over time
thing change.

Like another poster wrote, do some intensity exercise like weight lifting or
some type of sprinting.

http://www.wsu.edu/~strength/bodycomp.htm

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 13:48:53 -0600, Preston Crawford
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I lost over 160lbs. and most of it stayed off. So I think I understand how
>to lose weight as well. I'm just stuck. And it isn't because of sloth or
>greed. I eat right and I bike quite a bit. I don't bike the 35 miles a day
>I used to, but is that what is required? Are you suggesting that 15-25
>miles a day is lazy?

If you are not losing weight then you are eating as much as you are
burning. If you want to lose more weight then you have to eat less or
burn more. Although there are exceptions at the limits of course -
but most overweight people need to lose fat, not lean mass. I find
that once I have hit a happy medium the thing which is most calculated
to make me gain weight is drinking beer, and if I stop drinking beer
the weight goes. I can drink small amounts of beer and eat pizza and
stay in my target weight band as long as I ride enough; if I ride more
I have to eat more and my weight goes up but a lot of it is lean mass
on the legs.

And there is always this: why worry? Are you in good shape? Are you
fit and active and healthy? If so, who cares if your weight is
static!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
|| On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:02:57 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
|| <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| <[email protected]>:
||| By and large, exercise is a poor way to control weight. It helps,
||| but diet is the primary means. You're just lucky that you likely
||| aren't very insult resistant. You probably don't get blood sugar
||| swings from overconsumption of carbs - yet. I'm willing to bet
||| that you've never been significantly overweight, either. Yet, you
||| seem willing to stand in judgment of others because what warks for
||| you doesn't work for others.
|| I have indeed been significantly overweight. And I got away from
|| that
|| by exercise and cutting out excess added fat from my diet. I know
|| there are people who are genetically fat.

I don't know what "genetically fat" means. Perhaps some have a greater
propensity for being overweight due to certain metabolic issues, but I don't
think that being overweight has to be their fate.

I also know that most
|| people who are fat simply don't do enough exercise to burn off what
|| they eat.

That's very true. And the reason it is true is because it is very hard to
exercise off what one can eat in a very short time. Those who think they
can eat anything and exercise it off are doomed to failure. Those who eat
whatever that like or want and maintain weight via exercise simply don't eat
or want that much.

I was also reading today that even if you do lose weight
|| by dieting, it does not confer anything like the same fitness
|| benefit as achieving the same weight by exercise.

Perhaps you mean "achieving the same weight with exercise." If so, I totally
agree. One can easily out eat what one can burn off with exercise. It's a
simple fact. Exercise has immense benefits and has value above and beyond
weight loss.

Although weight
|| is a
|| meaningless measure - I was officially overweight by BMI when my body
|| fat was measured at 15% (aged 38).
|| I don't really care how folks manage the volume they eat - except
|| that
|| I am very sceptical of people selling new ways of losing weight which
|| seem on the face of it to offer a solution to sloth+gluttony=fat
|| without removing either sloth or gluttony.

Perhaps you really aren't familiar with any of the low-carb plans. They have
been around for a very long time.

See: http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/index.html

Low carb does remove, to a large extent, what you refer to as gluttony, for
many people. But it is no miracle solution. A person as to want to lose or
maintain weight in order for it to work. I also find it funny that many
seems to be skeptical of a plan that basically pushes eating real foods,
like meat, fish, fowl, nuts, veggies, and fruits. I simply don't get that
part unless one is willing to believe that people form opinions without
having sufficient knowledge about that which they form opinions. Hmm.....I
guess that's not so hard to believe afterall.

There ain't no such thing
|| as a free lunch.

True. Low-carbers give up cookies, pop, chips, candy bars, pasta, bread,
rice, cake, etc. I don't think that's a free lunch at all.

In my not especially long life thus far I have seen
|| the blame for overweight put on carbs, fat, red meat, dairy and now
|| back to carbs (and yes I do know that Atkins does include carbs). I
|| have seen people on all kinds of diets - Atkins, South Beach, cabbage
|| soup, food combining and plain old ELF - and the common theme I see
|| is that the people who lose weight are the ones who end up eating
|| less
|| and exercising more.

Sure. However, to put Aktins and South Beach in with the cabbage soup diet
is unfair. A low carber follows a plan that allows for a wide variety of
foods, with some just being controlled more so than others (carbs).
Exercise is recommended on both plans. Those who are successful end up
eating less than they did and, if they want, exercising more. However,
exercise isn't necessary to maintain weight. It is recommended for more than
just weight control, however.

|| I have seen people fail to manage this on
|| Atkins just as often as on anything else.

Of course. Remember, typically, it is the dieters who fail, not the diets.
People just revert back to how they have learned to eat over the years.
That, there, is the root of the problem in most of the industrialized world.
Too many highly processed stuff passed off as food. People learn to eat
certain foods at a young age and cling to them throughout life.

|| I also note that the ones who are perennially on a diet of some kind,
|| and discussing their latest type of diet and the various foods they
|| are allowed this week, never seem to end up thin.

Those are yo-yo dieters. The follow scheme after scheme to lose weight.
Neither Atkins or SB are similar to those as they are plans for eating for
life (for weight loss and weight maintenance), not until the weight falls
off.

I'm sure that is
|| just the great crapshoot of life, and that there are loads of people
|| who have lost weight and kept it off by dieting. I just never seem
|| to meet any. All the thin people I know are gym rats or cyclists.

What? You think dieting is some special act? If you push away from the
table, you are dieting by limiting your consumption. I know plenty of
normal weight people who aren't gym rats - they simply control weight by not
overeating. Lots of women do it.

|| Yes, I quite agree that the superabundance of foods which seem
|| explicitly designed to offer maximum blubber creation with minimum
|| food values is a problem. But to suggest that people eat ****
|| because they don't know any better - well that may be true where you
|| live, I guess, but over here we are deluged with healthy eating
|| messages.

Where do you live? Here in the states I rarely see any messages about real
healthy eating. In fact, most messages are backed by those who stand to
profit from the sales of processed foods - and they definitely want only to
sell more product.

And
|| the people I meet who are grossly overweight all seem to eat more,
|| and
|| eat more ****, than me.

Of course.

I find it really hard to accept someone's
|| protestations that their obesity is due to some genetic or other
|| factor as they sit there eating their way through a 2lb bar of
|| chocolate (yes that has happened).

Me too. Those people are in denial.

It seems to me that people who
|| care enough to start looking into diets quickly discover (if they
|| didn't know already) that junk food and carbonated sugar water form
|| no part of a healthy diet.

Absolutely. However, be careful of what you call junk food. Junk food
doesn't come just from the vending machine or the aisle in the store where
the cookies and chips are or from the local fast food joints. People can
make their own junk food at home. Of course, if they go to the trouble of
actually making it, they'll likely consume less of it. The reliance on
convenience foods is a big contributor to the obesity crisis.

|| So, like I say, I am not (and don't pretend to be) an expert. I
|| understand that even Atkins misunderstood the biochemistry of his
|| diet. I am extremely sceptical of highly publicised diets, including
|| Atkins.

read this: http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/index.html

You have the right to be skeptical. I was. However, I did some homework.
One is wise to be skeptical about that which one knows little about. Good
for you, Guy.

A discussion regarding diets.....how lucky am I ?????? Riding a
bicycle and dieting....the two things I am concentrating on at this
moment. My diet plan is simple. Stop eating everything I can find and
learn what the word discipline means. In diet, with exercise and in
life. 6 fruit baskets were delivered to the office for the holidays
and there are more cookies around this office than in a bakery. My
discipline in the area of sweets is very poor. I am weakening by the
moment and want those COOKIES. Why do they put so much chocolate and
sweets into FRUIT BASKETS? I think sex helps you lose weight.....or
does that just make you more hungry?
Good Luck with the diet
Maggie

On 2004-12-28, Maggie <[email protected]> wrote:
> A discussion regarding diets.....how lucky am I ?????? Riding a
> bicycle and dieting....the two things I am concentrating on at this
> moment. My diet plan is simple. Stop eating everything I can find and
> learn what the word discipline means. In diet, with exercise and in

I hope you weren't trying to be mean here. Because I don't personally "eat
everything I can find". That's not my problem.

Preston

Maggie wrote:
|| A discussion regarding diets.....how lucky am I ?????? Riding a
|| bicycle and dieting....the two things I am concentrating on at this
|| moment. My diet plan is simple. Stop eating everything I can find
|| and learn what the word discipline means. In diet, with exercise
|| and in life. 6 fruit baskets were delivered to the office for the
|| holidays and there are more cookies around this office than in a
|| bakery. My discipline in the area of sweets is very poor. I am
|| weakening by the moment and want those COOKIES. Why do they put so
|| much chocolate and sweets into FRUIT BASKETS? I think sex helps you
|| lose weight.....or does that just make you more hungry?

Lose weight and you might get more sex and enjoy it more, too! :)

Preston Crawford wrote:
|| On 2004-12-28, Maggie <[email protected]> wrote:
||| A discussion regarding diets.....how lucky am I ?????? Riding a
||| bicycle and dieting....the two things I am concentrating on at this
||| moment. My diet plan is simple. Stop eating everything I can find
||| and learn what the word discipline means. In diet, with exercise
||| and in
|| I hope you weren't trying to be mean here. Because I don't
|| personally "eat everything I can find". That's not my problem.

She was talking about her plan, Preston, not yours. Sorry, but you no
longer own the thread.

"Maggie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A discussion regarding diets.....how lucky am I ?????? Riding a
> bicycle and dieting....the two things I am concentrating on at this
> moment. My diet plan is simple. Stop eating everything I can find and
> learn what the word discipline means. In diet, with exercise and in
> life. 6 fruit baskets were delivered to the office for the holidays
> and there are more cookies around this office than in a bakery. My
> discipline in the area of sweets is very poor. I am weakening by the
> moment and want those COOKIES. Why do they put so much chocolate and
> sweets into FRUIT BASKETS? I think sex helps you lose weight.....or
> does that just make you more hungry?
> Good Luck with the diet
> Maggie

Good points...this is a case of where the "what" can be important, because
it affects the "how much".

Most folks have a few specific problem foods...for me, chocolate is a
"substance abuse issue", but for others it might be chips, beer, pizza, etc.
Identifying your problem foods, and then taking steps to limit them is an
important step in getting control of your caloric intake. I (try) to limit
my exposure to problem foods by not buying them or keeping them in the
house. But, I don't avoid chocolate altogether, because it's one of the
things that makes life worth living (IMO).

This time of year, avoiding those problem foods is tough. I also suspect
that our bodies seek out high-calorie foods during the winter months in
attempt to store energy for the cold weather. Trying to lose weight this
time of year can be difficult (YMMV), so I'm usually happy if I just "hold
the line" between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

--
GG
http://www.CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists

On 2004-12-28, Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> Preston Crawford wrote:
>|| I hope you weren't trying to be mean here. Because I don't
>|| personally "eat everything I can find". That's not my problem.
>
> She was talking about her plan, Preston, not yours. Sorry, but you no
> longer own the thread.

I never claimed to own the thread. But given some of the vitriol in this
thread about laziness and gluttony it was hard to tell whether she really
meant herself or whether it was a back-handed way of saying "you".

Preston

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:39:27 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

[snip much agreement]

>|| I am very sceptical of people selling new ways of losing weight which
>|| seem on the face of it to offer a solution to sloth+gluttony=fat
>|| without removing either sloth or gluttony.

>Perhaps you really aren't familiar with any of the low-carb plans. They have
>been around for a very long time.
>See: http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/index.html

Like I said before, I remember the humble potato being blamed for
obesity in my youth. I seem to recall my mother cutting out potatoes
and bread as one of her perennial attempts to lose the weight she put
on her hips following childbirth.

Yes, there is not much new under the sun :) I guess that's part of
the reason I'm so sceptical: each new diet is portrayed as some
miraculous breakthrough, but finally it all boils down to the usual
thing. If you eat more than you burn, you get fat. And yes, much of
my annoyance is founded on people (unlike most of us) who are trying
to get something for nothing and get a fitter-looking body without
actually putting in the work involved in getting fitter. And some of
it is, to be fair, the "FFS pull yourself together you whining slob!"
factor ;-)

>Low carb does remove, to a large extent, what you refer to as gluttony, for
>many people. But it is no miracle solution. A person as to want to lose or
>maintain weight in order for it to work. I also find it funny that many
>seems to be skeptical of a plan that basically pushes eating real foods,
>like meat, fish, fowl, nuts, veggies, and fruits. I simply don't get that
>part unless one is willing to believe that people form opinions without
>having sufficient knowledge about that which they form opinions. Hmm.....I
>guess that's not so hard to believe afterall.

Real food is always good. My in-laws will not buy anything which is
not organic, and eat primarily wholefoods (not much processed organic
gunk available, after all!). They eat pretty much an average balance
of carbs and other food, but they eat healthily and they are both very
trim.

>Low-carbers give up cookies, pop, chips, candy bars, pasta, bread,
>rice, cake, etc. I don't think that's a free lunch at all.

All but three of those are the kind of junk that anyone who wants to
lose weight has to give up anyway. Especially the fizzy drinks - I
read of one 13-year-old who consumed the entire recommended daily
calorie intake in Coke alone. Needless to say he was obese.

>to put Aktins and South Beach in with the cabbage soup diet
>is unfair. A low carber follows a plan that allows for a wide variety of
>foods, with some just being controlled more so than others (carbs).

I can believe it. Speaking as one whose daily transport is cycling,
if I cut down on carbs I fall flat. Atkins seems in many ways to be a
way of telling people that you don't need endurance fuel if the
farthest you walk is from the sofa to the microwave - but that does
not mean that the problems of this lifestyle can be "fixed" by cutting
out all carbs. This has gone around here before -people saying they
follow Atkins but add carbs to avoid the bonk when riding. So that's
Atkins (ELF minus carbs) plus carbs - i.e. plain old ELF ;-)

>Exercise is recommended on both plans. Those who are successful end up
>eating less than they did and, if they want, exercising more. However,
>exercise isn't necessary to maintain weight. It is recommended for more than
>just weight control, however.

You can do it just by eating well, just by exercise, or by a
combination of both. Both is probably always going to be best. The
definition of what constitutes eating well will always vary over time
and between cultures. Look at the Japanese diet, for example - and
ISTR they have the lowest rate of coronary heart disease and bowel
cancers in the world. So maybe we should all be eating raw dead fish
and rice

>|| I have seen people fail to manage this on
>|| Atkins just as often as on anything else.

>Of course. Remember, typically, it is the dieters who fail, not the diets.

Absolutely.

>People just revert back to how they have learned to eat over the years.
>That, there, is the root of the problem in most of the industrialized world.
>Too many highly processed stuff passed off as food. People learn to eat
>certain foods at a young age and cling to them throughout life.

Definitely a growing problem - I learned to eat healthy and slipped
into less healthy with age, adding middle-aged sloth and gluttony on
top. I hate to think what's going to happen when the current crop of
teenagers with their learned habits of eating **** and playing
Nintendo, become middle aged. Actually I think I know: it's started
already. At least pension annuities should come down in price...

>|| I'm sure that is
>|| just the great crapshoot of life, and that there are loads of people
>|| who have lost weight and kept it off by dieting. I just never seem
>|| to meet any. All the thin people I know are gym rats or cyclists.

>What? You think dieting is some special act?

Not really, but they seem to. Like I say, the people I know who are
and remain slim are all gym rats or cyclists - the ones who follow
diets - even follow them well and thoroughly - are still overweight.

>|| Yes, I quite agree that the superabundance of foods which seem
>|| explicitly designed to offer maximum blubber creation with minimum
>|| food values is a problem. But to suggest that people eat ****
>|| because they don't know any better - well that may be true where you
>|| live, I guess, but over here we are deluged with healthy eating
>|| messages.
>
>Where do you live?

UK.

>Here in the states I rarely see any messages about real
>healthy eating.

Bad. Very bad. How big was the fuss about Fat Land over there?

>|| It seems to me that people who
>|| care enough to start looking into diets quickly discover (if they
>|| didn't know already) that junk food and carbonated sugar water form
>|| no part of a healthy diet.

>Absolutely. However, be careful of what you call junk food. Junk food
>doesn't come just from the vending machine or the aisle in the store where
>the cookies and chips are or from the local fast food joints. People can
>make their own junk food at home. Of course, if they go to the trouble of
>actually making it, they'll likely consume less of it. The reliance on
>convenience foods is a big contributor to the obesity crisis.

Hey, my wife makes great pizza ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Roger Zoul Dec 28, 12:59 pm
Lose weight and you might get more sex and enjoy it more, too! :)

Maggie writes....
I get plenty of sex. I am married to an Italian. Sex and
pasta....something Italian men cannot live without. ;-) I am not really
fat, just have 20 lbs I could do without. I am working on it though. I
was 30 lbs overweight before I started this exercise program. 30 lbs
overweight and 5'8" tall. 20 lbs on 5'8" really doesn't look that bad,
but I am determined to lose it. PLUS I AM BIG BONED. ;-) Like
Cartman says...."I'M NOT FAT...I'M JUST BIG BONED."
Maggie
http://www.geocities.com/lindaannbuset/mypage.html
http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/

I hope you weren't trying to be mean here. Because I don't personally
"eat
everything I can find". That's not my problem.

Preston

I was not being mean. I can relate to weight issues. I have been up
and down with my weight forever. I had three kids and after each one I
had to struggle to take weight off. Now I am old and menopause is not
helping me out at all. I was referring to me and my habits. I eat
everything I can find. Especially before I started my diet and
exercise program. I would never be unkind to someone who struggles with
weight. It can get tough. I am sitting here among fruit baskets filled
with chocolate and cookies. I want to dive into them.
Keep the faith.
Maggie.

Preston Crawford wrote:
||| She was talking about her plan, Preston, not yours. Sorry, but you
||| no longer own the thread.
|| I never claimed to own the thread. But given some of the vitriol in
|| this thread about laziness and gluttony it was hard to tell whether
|| she really meant herself or whether it was a back-handed way of
|| saying "you".

Why would you assume that? Just because one person makes seemingly unkind
comments doens't mean everyone does. It's unfair of you to assume so. It's
very easy to attack someone in written form here on usenet. No real need to
be back-handed.

On 2004-12-28, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yes, there is not much new under the sun :) I guess that's part of
> the reason I'm so sceptical: each new diet is portrayed as some
> miraculous breakthrough, but finally it all boils down to the usual
> thing. If you eat more than you burn, you get fat. And yes, much of

I tend to agree, in the balance, however certain foods are digested by
your body differently. For example, I don't think you'd make the argument
that Pixie Stix and a potato of the same caloric value are turned into fat
at the same exact rate. I think it's safe to say that the Pixie Stix are
worse for you. Just the same, I think it's overly simplistic to say
"calories in, calories out". I think what you eat does matter. Sorry. But
changing my diet was equally important as exercising when I lost my
initial weight.

> my annoyance is founded on people (unlike most of us) who are trying
> to get something for nothing and get a fitter-looking body without
> actually putting in the work involved in getting fitter. And some of
> it is, to be fair, the "FFS pull yourself together you whining slob!"
> factor ;-)

I understand the sentiment. Please remember, though, that I'm not in that
boat and begged in my first post that the debate not head in this
direction. I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I'm just trying to
determine what might help me get off this plateau. Because so far, just
eating less doesn't work. Eating lower carbs doesn't seem to work. It's a
bit depressing that these things always degenerate into low-carb vs.
everyone else. Because I think there's a bit of truth in low-carb, with
regards to the types of carbs people consume, the glycemic index, etc. I
know from first hand experience that my body reacts differently to
different carbs and that if I ate my calories in Pixie Stix every day I
might have an even harder time losing weight.

> Real food is always good. My in-laws will not buy anything which is
> not organic, and eat primarily wholefoods (not much processed organic
> gunk available, after all!). They eat pretty much an average balance
> of carbs and other food, but they eat healthily and they are both very
> trim.

I've, on the balance, done this for years. Granted, when my wife went on
Weight Watchers, I did eat a little more processed food as it came through
the house. But now she's on a plan that emphasizes more whole foods, so
I'm back to my roots. The problem is that it's still not really working.
So I'm trying to determine whether I need to cut down on breads, etc. to
perhaps kick-start my metabolism. Thus my interest in what works for
others. I know for many "exercise more than you eat" works fine. For some
of us, though, even this isn't enough. Unless, of course, I'm severely
underestimating the amount of calories I'm taking in with my salad,
bananas, bread, etc.

>>to put Aktins and South Beach in with the cabbage soup diet
>>is unfair. A low carber follows a plan that allows for a wide variety of
>>foods, with some just being controlled more so than others (carbs).

> I can believe it. Speaking as one whose daily transport is cycling,
> if I cut down on carbs I fall flat. Atkins seems in many ways to be a

I do as well. Which is why I'm trying to find a balance here. Or maybe, I
suppose, find out that in the end I need to just eat a little less and
otherwise not worry about it. I don't know. All I know is that my high
veggie high carb lifestyle has me stuck.

Preston

On 2004-12-28, Maggie <[email protected]> wrote:
> I hope you weren't trying to be mean here. Because I don't personally
> "eat
> everything I can find". That's not my problem.
>
> Preston
>

> I was not being mean. I can relate to weight issues. I have been up

Okay. I had to check. I apologize for that. There is quite a bit of "if
you are overweight you are a glutton" vitriol in this thread, currently.
So I wasn't sure.

> and down with my weight forever. I had three kids and after each one I
> had to struggle to take weight off. Now I am old and menopause is not
> helping me out at all. I was referring to me and my habits. I eat
> everything I can find. Especially before I started my diet and
> exercise program. I would never be unkind to someone who struggles with
> weight. It can get tough. I am sitting here among fruit baskets filled
> with chocolate and cookies. I want to dive into them.

I'm with you. That's why I've for years taken my own snacks (fruit, etc.)
to work. That way I snack on that and eat a tiny bit periodically
throughout the day, rather than 3 big meals. Helps to keep you sated.

Preston

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
|| On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:39:27 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
|| <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| <[email protected]>:
|| [snip much agreement]
||| Perhaps you really aren't familiar with any of the low-carb plans.
||| They have been around for a very long time.
||| See: http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/index.html
|| Like I said before, I remember the humble potato being blamed for
|| obesity in my youth. I seem to recall my mother cutting out potatoes
|| and bread as one of her perennial attempts to lose the weight she put
|| on her hips following childbirth.

Well, if you follow a plan like Atkins you should learn that it is not hte
potato that's bad. It's he fact that we eat too much carb for our activity
levels. Over time, that has bad effects on the body due to too much insulin
floating around in the blood. It doesn't happen to everyone, but it's
happening more and more these days.

|| Yes, there is not much new under the sun :) I guess that's part of
|| the reason I'm so sceptical: each new diet is portrayed as some
|| miraculous breakthrough, but finally it all boils down to the usual
|| thing. If you eat more than you burn, you get fat. And yes, much of
|| my annoyance is founded on people (unlike most of us) who are trying
|| to get something for nothing and get a fitter-looking body without
|| actually putting in the work involved in getting fitter. And some of
|| it is, to be fair, the "FFS pull yourself together you whining slob!"
|| factor ;-)
||| Low carb does remove, to a large extent, what you refer to as
||| gluttony, for many people. But it is no miracle solution. A person
||| as to want to lose or maintain weight in order for it to work. I
||| also find it funny that many seems to be skeptical of a plan that
||| basically pushes eating real foods, like meat, fish, fowl, nuts,
||| veggies, and fruits. I simply don't get that part unless one is
||| willing to believe that people form opinions without having
||| sufficient knowledge about that which they form opinions.
||| Hmm.....I guess that's not so hard to believe afterall.
|| Real food is always good. My in-laws will not buy anything which is
|| not organic, and eat primarily wholefoods (not much processed organic
|| gunk available, after all!). They eat pretty much an average balance
|| of carbs and other food, but they eat healthily and they are both
|| very
|| trim.
||| Low-carbers give up cookies, pop, chips, candy bars, pasta, bread,
||| rice, cake, etc. I don't think that's a free lunch at all.
|| All but three of those are the kind of junk that anyone who wants to
|| lose weight has to give up anyway. Especially the fizzy drinks - I
|| read of one 13-year-old who consumed the entire recommended daily
|| calorie intake in Coke alone. Needless to say he was obese.
||| to put Aktins and South Beach in with the cabbage soup diet
||| is unfair. A low carber follows a plan that allows for a wide
||| variety of foods, with some just being controlled more so than
||| others (carbs).
|| I can believe it. Speaking as one whose daily transport is cycling,
|| if I cut down on carbs I fall flat. Atkins seems in many ways to be
|| way of telling people that you don't need endurance fuel if the
|| farthest you walk is from the sofa to the microwave - but that does
|| not mean that the problems of this lifestyle can be "fixed" by
|| cutting
|| out all carbs. This has gone around here before -people saying they
|| follow Atkins but add carbs to avoid the bonk when riding. So that's
|| Atkins (ELF minus carbs) plus carbs - i.e. plain old ELF ;-)

Well, as you know, Atkins doesn't recommend cutting out all carbs. In fact,
Atkins has a plan for people to figure out their proper carb level and it is
definitely based on activity. The more active you are, the greater the
amount of carbs you can eat on a daily basis. Also, on Atkins you get
plenty of endurnace fuel in the form of fat. The carbs act more for "sprint"
fuel, which is important in cycling too.

||| Exercise is recommended on both plans. Those who are successful
||| end up eating less than they did and, if they want, exercising
||| more. However, exercise isn't necessary to maintain weight. It is
||| recommended for more than just weight control, however.
|| You can do it just by eating well, just by exercise, or by a
|| combination of both.

Anyone who does it just by exercise has few if any issues with food, or the
overconsumption of it.

Both is probably always going to be best. The
|| definition of what constitutes eating well will always vary over time
|| and between cultures. Look at the Japanese diet, for example - and
|| ISTR they have the lowest rate of coronary heart disease and bowel
|| cancers in the world. So maybe we should all be eating raw dead fish
|| and rice
||| Of course. Remember, typically, it is the dieters who fail, not
||| the diets.
|| Absolutely.
||| People just revert back to how they have learned to eat over the
||| years. That, there, is the root of the problem in most of the
||| industrialized world. Too many highly processed stuff passed off as
||| food. People learn to eat certain foods at a young age and cling
||| to them throughout life.
|| Definitely a growing problem - I learned to eat healthy and slipped
|| into less healthy with age, adding middle-aged sloth and gluttony on
|| top. I hate to think what's going to happen when the current crop of
|| teenagers with their learned habits of eating **** and playing
|| Nintendo, become middle aged. Actually I think I know: it's started
|| already. At least pension annuities should come down in price...
||| What? You think dieting is some special act?
|| Not really, but they seem to. Like I say, the people I know who are
|| and remain slim are all gym rats or cyclists - the ones who follow
|| diets - even follow them well and thoroughly - are still overweight.
||| Where do you live?
|| UK.
||| Here in the states I rarely see any messages about real
||| healthy eating.
|| Bad. Very bad. How big was the fuss about Fat Land over there?

I don't know what Fat Land is. Is that a book?

||| Absolutely. However, be careful of what you call junk food. Junk
||| food doesn't come just from the vending machine or the aisle in the
||| store where the cookies and chips are or from the local fast food
||| joints. People can make their own junk food at home. Of course,
||| if they go to the trouble of actually making it, they'll likely
||| consume less of it. The reliance on convenience foods is a big
||| contributor to the obesity crisis.
|| Hey, my wife makes great pizza ;-)

A good reason to ride you bike a lot! :)

"Preston Crawford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-12-28, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Yes, there is not much new under the sun :) I guess that's part of
> > the reason I'm so sceptical: each new diet is portrayed as some
> > miraculous breakthrough, but finally it all boils down to the usual
> > thing. If you eat more than you burn, you get fat. And yes, much of

> I tend to agree, in the balance, however certain foods are digested by
> your body differently. For example, I don't think you'd make the argument
> that Pixie Stix and a potato of the same caloric value are turned into fat
> at the same exact rate. I think it's safe to say that the Pixie Stix are
> worse for you.

I disagree...3500 calories from Pixie Stix will equal one lb of fat, the
same as 3500 calories from potatoes.

> Just the same, I think it's overly simplistic to say
> "calories in, calories out". I think what you eat does matter. Sorry. But
> changing my diet was equally important as exercising when I lost my
> initial weight.

It may sound simplistic, but it is pretty basic science. If you have links
to studies indicating otherwise, please post them. Most controlled studies
have shown that it's an energy balance issue (calories in vs. calories out),
for instance:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-10/shs-ssf101304.php

Studies have also clearly demonstrated that overweight people consistently
underestimate how many calories they consume, and overestimate how many
calories they burn through exercise. For instance:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/abstract/327/27/1893 ("CONCLUSIONS. The
failure of some obese subjects to lose weight while eating a diet they
report as low in calories is due to an energy intake substantially higher
than reported and an overestimation of physical activity, not to an
abnormality in thermogenesis.")

--
GG
http://www.CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
http://www.WeightWare.com - Weight and Health Diary

> > my annoyance is founded on people (unlike most of us) who are trying
> > to get something for nothing and get a fitter-looking body without
> > actually putting in the work involved in getting fitter. And some of
> > it is, to be fair, the "FFS pull yourself together you whining slob!"
> > factor ;-)

> I understand the sentiment. Please remember, though, that I'm not in that
> boat and begged in my first post that the debate not head in this
> direction. I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I'm just trying to
> determine what might help me get off this plateau. Because so far, just
> eating less doesn't work. Eating lower carbs doesn't seem to work. It's a
> bit depressing that these things always degenerate into low-carb vs.
> everyone else. Because I think there's a bit of truth in low-carb, with
> regards to the types of carbs people consume, the glycemic index, etc. I
> know from first hand experience that my body reacts differently to
> different carbs and that if I ate my calories in Pixie Stix every day I
> might have an even harder time losing weight.
>
> > Real food is always good. My in-laws will not buy anything which is
> > not organic, and eat primarily wholefoods (not much processed organic
> > gunk available, after all!). They eat pretty much an average balance
> > of carbs and other food, but they eat healthily and they are both very
> > trim.

> I've, on the balance, done this for years. Granted, when my wife went on
> Weight Watchers, I did eat a little more processed food as it came through
> the house. But now she's on a plan that emphasizes more whole foods, so
> I'm back to my roots. The problem is that it's still not really working.
> So I'm trying to determine whether I need to cut down on breads, etc. to
> perhaps kick-start my metabolism. Thus my interest in what works for
> others. I know for many "exercise more than you eat" works fine. For some
> of us, though, even this isn't enough. Unless, of course, I'm severely
> underestimating the amount of calories I'm taking in with my salad,
> bananas, bread, etc.
>
> >>to put Aktins and South Beach in with the cabbage soup diet
> >>is unfair. A low carber follows a plan that allows for a wide variety

of
> >>foods, with some just being controlled more so than others (carbs).

> > I can believe it. Speaking as one whose daily transport is cycling,
> > if I cut down on carbs I fall flat. Atkins seems in many ways to be a

> I do as well. Which is why I'm trying to find a balance here. Or maybe, I
> suppose, find out that in the end I need to just eat a little less and
> otherwise not worry about it. I don't know. All I know is that my high
> veggie high carb lifestyle has me stuck.
>
> Preston

GaryG Dec 28, 1:09 pm
This time of year, avoiding those problem foods is tough. I also
suspect
that our bodies seek out high-calorie foods during the winter months in
attempt to store energy for the cold weather. Trying to lose weight
this
time of year can be difficult (YMMV), so I'm usually happy if I just
"hold
the line" between Thanksgiving and New Year's.

Maggie Dec 28
This time of year is an absolutely horrible time to try to lose. To
maintain is excellent. There are so many holiday parties, so many
goodies, relatives bring you food, its a FOOD NIGHTMARE. Plus everyone
makes their specialties which are always incredibly fattening. I have
been going from one celebration to the next since Thanksgiving. It's
especially hard when you host the parties...then you are left with all
the extra food. I gave my daughter a party and bought a sheet cake.
After the party I put it in the basement frig and I everytime I went
downstairs to do laundry I would take a spoonful. I finally threw it
away. For another party I decided to order a six foot sub for my sons
college friends. I thought they would eat all six feet of it, but I
bought too many other things to go with it.....and guess who was left
staring at it everyday. ME!!!!! I have New Years Eve to get through
and one class reunion and then I think I will be free of the
temptations to indulge. I give people credit who can maintain their
weight during these holidays. If you actually lose weight, you must be
extremely self disciplined. Being surrounded by all the holiday
goodies is too much for me. I just hope I keep the 10 lbs off that I
lost. Thats all I am hoping for. Losing right now is impossible for
me. Well the husband is yelling at me to make dinner. Hopefully I
will practice some self control or make something non fattening.
Maggie

::
: You assume I was never fat. This is not the case.
:
: A lot of people like to pretend that their obesity is genetic. Very
: occasionally it is, but in most cases, as the great Garfield once put
: it, their problem is an overactive mouth gland. Mine certainly was.
:
: Guy
:

Perhaps I overreacted a bit. I am just so tired of people attributing some
kind of moral failure to other people for being overweight. We have to get
away from that type of thinking. One thing I always told my kids: if some
problem in life seems easy, you've overlooked something! There are all sorts
of reasons that people are overweight, and it isn't necessarily "gluttony".

Pat in TX