A weight loss plan that works for average cyclists?

"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >The worth of this depends on the type of exercise. Just regular cardio

for
> >maximal fat burn while exercising (aerobic zone), only about 5 minutes.

For
> >HIIT and weight lifting (properly don), more).

> Mmmmm, HIIT.

Yeah, da bomb!

> I woke up this morning feeling like I could just bail
> entirely, having had four good workouts in the prior
> four days. But I decided to get dressed and go to the
> gym and noodle for an hour (no spin-class scheduled at my
> normal time today, but the spin room is always open).
>
> After 5 minutes of warmup, I just started doing the
> sprints. 20 minutes later, I'd knocked out fourteen
> intervals (30 seconds on, 60 off) and was cooling down.

Good. HIIT rocks, IMO.

> >That's only true if you increase muscle mass and exercise won't result in
> >that under all conditions.

> Mmm, true. Exercise coupled with excessive calorie
> deficits, or unbalanced exercise, will actually reduce
> muscle mass, in all or part of the body.

What is unbalanced exercise?

> >Perhaps. But if time (for effort) is any concern at all, then not eating
> >will work best.

> I get it: When you die the worms and bugs help you
> lose weight!

Well, keep up. I simply meant not eating 500 calories.

> >Perhaps. But it also might make learning to eat less in the long term
> >harder.

> One challenge at a time, grass-hopper.

Yeah, and that's why lots of people who lose a lot of weight regain it. If
you don't learn to naturally eat less, then you'll regain. Diet should be
considered the primiary means to control weight. Exercise is benefical, but
it is hard to exercise away what you can eat in a very short period of time.

31 Dec 2004 00:34:06 -0800,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

>I found a great free recourse site to help people manage their weight
>loss and live a healthy lifestyle. I used a few of their tips and lost
>a ton of weight.

I lost over a ton and a half of excess weight, and immediately felt
better, when I rid myself of a car!

I've been riding my bike everywhere so I've not gained it back either.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

<snipped>

>No, I eat about 37 grams of fat on an ideal day. That'd be
>about two tablespoons of olive oil.
>
>I can work a cheeseburger into my day, but only if I reduce
>fat elsewhere. It means very low-fat choices the other
>4 meals. Which, if I plan for it, isn't that bad.

There are three main types of 'diets'. Low fat, low calorie,
and low carbohydrate. Isn't the key to choose what works best
for you? If you understand the science for being successful for
each one, and pick the one that suits you - then what's to argue?

What is your understanding of the scientific basis for this
low-fat diet?

-Sledge

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:23:35 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I lost over a ton and a half of excess weight, and immediately felt
>better, when I rid myself of a car!

Amen to that :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Mmm, true. Exercise coupled with excessive calorie
>> deficits, or unbalanced exercise, will actually reduce
>> muscle mass, in all or part of the body.

>What is unbalanced exercise?

Exercising one body part a lot and another not at all.

Basically what I did last July when I got on my bike
and watched my shoulders start to shrink. It was about
mid-September when I learned how to fix it.

All the really good racers build their lower half at the
expense of their upper half.

I'm clearly not aiming at being "really good" ever again
(not like I ever was), as I'm trying to build my upper
body mass while concentrating on endurance and speed for
my lower body (hence I do no weight-training of my legs).

I've been ignoring my core, but it gets quite a bit of
work when cycling and supporting weights. It's still
pretty thick, and apparently as strong as ever.

>> >Perhaps. But it also might make learning to eat less in the long term
>> >harder.

>> One challenge at a time, grass-hopper.

>Yeah, and that's why lots of people who lose a lot of weight regain it. If
>you don't learn to naturally eat less, then you'll regain. Diet should be
>considered the primiary means to control weight. Exercise is benefical, but
>it is hard to exercise away what you can eat in a very short period of time.

When learning a new thing, you might have to learn another new
thing first, rather than both at the same time. Learning to
eat less for a lifetime or learning to exercise for a lifetime
are equivalent if you start from equilibrium and expect to
learn the other when the first has begun to show results.

--Blair
"I'm having a pebble shipped in via UPS.
Cool your jets for a bit."

Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:p[email protected]...
>> Roger Zoul <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >
>> >1) I gave my body carbs

>> Few carbs.

>Enough carbs.

Might as well have been 0 carbs.

> and your training intensity
>> suffers from lack of muscle glycogen (even on a "cyclical"
>> ketogenic diet).

>This can be true at the beginning. But one solutoin is to TKD or CKD and
>increase time between sets, if weight training.

What are TKD and CKD? I keep reading the latter as CJD,
and I know you don't want that...

>> Low carbs and high activity don't go well together.

>I won't argue this point. That why I get carbs if I expect to go high
>intensity. I vary my carb intake in proportion to my anticipated activity
>level. ON long rides with lots of climbing, I eat carbs.

So wait. You were doing low-carb...except when you were
doing high-carb?

That might explain a few things.

>> The worst side effect of the VLCD is one that few people
>> think of because it requires a long-term perspective and
>> most people are caught up in short term results:
>>
>> For the average non-competitor, it's very difficult to
>> permanently keep the fat off if it's lost through VLCD's.
>> VLCD's set you up for a big rebound.

>Nonsense. Total and complete.

Sense.

>> Bodybuilders often use VLCD's successfully before contests,
>> but bodybuilders are extreme athletes with incredible
>> discipline and willpower. I know bodybuilders who are so
>> "hard core" that they can eat nothing but tuna fish out of
>> the can for 12 weeks, then go back to a normal, balanced diet -
>> no problem - no bingeing. That's a rare feat.
>>
>> Lots of people lose weight on very low carb diets. Few keep
>> it off. I've seen people go on massive, uncontrollable binges
>> of doughnuts, pizza and Ben & Jerry's (Chunky Monkey!), gaining
>> 30 pounds in less than seven days after coming off a very
>> low carb diet.

>Listen at that. 30 lbs in less than 7 days. What incredible BS. You seem
>like a smart guy, Blair. I can't believe you didn't question this
>nonsense.

I've personlly gained 15 lbs in 21 days (expense account
+ trip to Dallas + excess free time = texas-BBQ pig-out...and
really, the expense account wasn't necessary, because
bobber-q is cheap...).

Casey Viator put on 68 lbs of "muscle mass" in 14 days, once.

30 lbs of rebound weight in a week? Not out of the realm
of possibility, just not a 3-sigma event. I doubt all
of it was stored lipids. Lots of water, carbs, and
in-process Big Macs add to it. And anyway, 30 is scary
copy; 5 lbs in a week would make most people cry, if they'd
just spent 8 weeks cutting it.

>> My friend, very low carb diets ain't the long term solution to
>> fat loss. To use one successfully without gaining everything
>> back, you have to know what you're doing and you must be
>> extremely disciplined. Even then, you should consider low carb
>> diets as "last chance" diets or short term "peaking" diets that
>> are fraught with side effects and disadvantages.

>Nonsense. This same BS he sent out in his e-mails.

Hard to argue with an Atkins adherent who says a balanced
approach is "BS".

--Blair
"Just put it down and let it
crawl away."

Sandor <[email protected]> wrote:
>There are three main types of 'diets'. Low fat, low calorie,
>and low carbohydrate. Isn't the key to choose what works best
>for you?

Unless you're a lemur or something, what works best for you
will be slightly different from what works best for me, not
completely on the other end of a nutritional scale.

>If you understand the science for being successful for
>each one, and pick the one that suits you - then what's to argue?

How sick it's going to make you.

>What is your understanding of the scientific basis for this
>low-fat diet?

It's not low-fat. I still eat 30-50 grams of fat a day.

--Blair
"It's not low anything."