A weightweenie is born

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Feb 14, 2003.

  1. Did you know that 3 chains weigh a whopping 1000 g? The horror... the horror....

    Tags:

  2. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Did you know that 3 chains weigh a whopping 1000 g? The horror... the horror....

    And you'll have to put another whopping kilo on the left side to keep your ccb (CoolCarbonBike) from
    tipping over ;-)

    Or is the frame asymmetric to compensate?

    teehee. Torben

  3. WELL, perhaps a "Ti" Chain might be a tad lighter for you. http://www.vikinginternational.com/
    However they don't have them for a 9 speed setup, as of yet. EZ Biker :) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR
    Ti, Tailwind and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

    > Did you know that 3 chains weigh a whopping 1000 g? The horror... the horror....

  4. "EZ Biker :)" skrev...
    > WELL, perhaps a "Ti" Chain might be a tad lighter for you. http://www.vikinginternational.com/
    > However they don't have them for a 9 speed setup, as of yet.

    Well they would certainly lighten my wallet at 225 usd a chain. I'm not that far gone yet,
    luckily. ;-)

    If I really get the urge to lighten the chain I will buy the new hollow-pin SRAM chains. 200 g
    saving at best, but at least the price was a bit more reasonable.

    Mikael

  5. Jiimscozz

    Jiimscozz Guest

    > Did you know that 3 chains weigh a whopping 1000 g? The horror... the horror....

    Mikael Sure makes a good case for a FWD system. Anxiously awaiting my Polish Lowracer also!

  6. Boy! the three chains on my bike are only 672 grams, Ti Chains are GREAT. Thank you Earl GRR,RANS
    V2 Ti-Rush

  7. "jiimscozz" skrev...

    > Sure makes a good case for a FWD system. Anxiously awaiting my Polish Lowracer also!

    Did you get the picture I sent you btw?

    Mikael

  8. Alpha Beta

    Alpha Beta Guest

  9. Paul Worden

    Paul Worden Guest

    Brings to mind the notched belt drive, but I have no idea how well it would work on a long chain
    run. I keep thinking that on a recumbent the chain should run INSIDE the frame tubes but I suspect
    that idler problems would prevent this.

    Paul W

  10. On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:18:01 -0500, "Alpha Beta" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Someone should be able to make a strong enough polymer chain.

    Look at BentRider Online's Interbike 2002 coverage (still on the STP section, I think). Theres'a
    delta trike that uses a kevlar belt for part of the drivetrain. The problem is, you can't use
    derailleurs on a flat belt.

  11. Paul Worden wrote:

    > I keep thinking that on a recumbent the chain should run INSIDE the frame tubes but I suspect that
    > idler problems would prevent this.

    Have a look at this one: http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/misc/Pix5.htm - Clemens Bucher's bike on
    the left. Main frame member is carbon-fibre, with the chain running inside it. Mid-drive is a 3x7
    located inside the frame under the seat. Final drive runs down the left side of the bike, inside the
    single-sided hollow aluminium swing-arm. It's a bit heavy, but as a commuter has few peers. Just add
    a front fairing to keep the toes warm and a Novosport tailbox...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/