A "wheel" dilemma... Pls help....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by S A K, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. S A K

    S A K Guest

    Hiya,

    Hope you people could offer you opinions on what I should do.

    My beloved Specialized Hardrock (2001) had its wheels and seat stolen from outside my flat, and I am
    not confident of the insurance paying out.

    I bought my bike in this years sales for 200 GBP. Replacing the wheels new cost too much.

    Is there a good classified marketplace on the net somewhere? I tried bikemagic.com but it really
    wasn't very good.

    Any suggestion/tales of woe would be appreciated. I'm getting fat and I urgently need the bike!

    cheers

    shakir

    Tags:

  2. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On 23 Dec 2002 06:35:55 -0800, [email protected] (s a k) wrote:

    >My beloved Specialized Hardrock (2001) had its wheels and seat stolen from outside my flat, and I
    >am not confident of the insurance paying out.

    Commiserations.

    >I bought my bike in this years sales for 200 GBP. Replacing the wheels new cost too much. Is there
    >a good classified marketplace on the net somewhere? I tried bikemagic.com but it really wasn't
    >very good.

    eBay?

    http://listings.ebay.co.uk/pool1/plistings/list/all/category16169/index.html?from=R0

    Bob

  3. s a k <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hiya,
    >
    > Hope you people could offer you opinions on what I should do.
    >
    > My beloved Specialized Hardrock (2001) had its wheels and seat stolen from outside my flat, and I
    > am not confident of the insurance paying out.
    >
    > I bought my bike in this years sales for 200 GBP. Replacing the wheels new cost too much.

    Thing is people just don't sell wheels second hand. Wheels are a consumable item to most mountain
    bikers or they stay with the bike for al the rest. The only wheels you'll be likely to find second
    hand will be boutique wheels which will cost more than a cheap set new.

    Your best bet is probably halfords for a cheap new set or Merlin do a full set with tubes and tyres
    for about £90

    > Is there a good classified marketplace on the net somewhere? I tried bikemagic.com but it really
    > wasn't very good.
    >
    > Any suggestion/tales of woe would be appreciated. I'm getting fat and I urgently need the bike!
    >

    > cheers
    >
    > shakir

  4. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:59:35 -0000, "Russell Pinder" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> I bought my bike in this years sales for 200 GBP. Replacing the wheels new cost too much.
    >
    >Thing is people just don't sell wheels second hand. Wheels are a consumable item to most mountain
    >bikers or they stay with the bike for al the rest. The only wheels you'll be likely to find second
    >hand will be boutique wheels which will cost more than a cheap set new.
    >
    >Your best bet is probably halfords for a cheap new set or Merlin do a full set with tubes and tyres
    >for about £90

    I've learnt (to my cost) that cheap wheels are a false economy. By the time the OP has bought new
    wheels and tyres (of reasonable quality) plus tubes, seatpost and saddle he's spent more that half
    what the entire bike cost him.

    I think the best bet may be to bite the bullet and just buy another bike in the January sales.

    Bob

  5. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "s a k" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Spoken to the insurence poeple again, turns out its likely they will pay. The estimate to repair
    > the damage is valued at £168, although it will have to be bought via the insurers prefered
    > supplier, a shop called 'wheelies'. (Anyone have dealings with them?)

    Yeah, got my Kona from them on insurance. Really efficient service and friendly person phoned
    to organise.

    > Its a bit daft though, the bikes a write off, what with it costing me £200 in the first place, but
    > they will only pay for its repair. Still, I'm not going to complaint, that enough for a set of
    > Mavics/Shimanos and Specialized Crossroad tyres.
    >
    > Oh, the Saddle and Post got robbed as well.
    >
    > Any thoughts...... ?

    Personally, I'd put the insurance towards a new bike (Wheelies still bill for the insured amount?
    You just pay the difference). I'd then get some cheapo wheels etc and have this second bike for
    stealable times (i.e. parking in town centre). The way to get these is to possibly pass the problem
    on, and nab them from someone else's bike. Keep allen keys in your pocket at all times ;) Just
    kidding ....

    Don't forget to remove your seat and chain your wheels next time :)

  6. Hi s a k,

    On 24 Dec 2002 03:53:25 -0800, in uk.rec.cycling s a k put fingers to keyboard and tapped away
    writing...

    Message ID:- <[email protected]>

    [...]

    > Spoken to the insurence poeple again, turns out its likely they will pay. The estimate to repair
    > the damage is valued at £168, although it will have to be bought via the insurers prefered
    > supplier, a shop called 'wheelies'. (Anyone have dealings with them?)
    >

    > Its a bit daft though, the bikes a write off, what with it costing me £200 in the first place, but
    > they will only pay for its repair. Still, I'm not going to complaint, that enough for a set of
    > Mavics/Shimanos and Specialized Crossroad tyres.

    The insurance company probably get some money back on what Wheelies sell to you. You spend £168. You
    send the bill to the insurance company. The insurance company get 15% or £25 back from wheelies. The
    insurance company send you a cheque for £168. It's cost the insurance company £143.

    --

    Best wishes, Ace

    Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit To his
    full height. On, on, you noblest English.