A wheel question

Art

Guest
My hybrid and I had a nasty accident and the rear wheel is shot. Frankly, this is not my main bike
and an exact replacement rear wheel will cost more than I care to part with. So, is there any reason
why I shouldn't buy a complete wheel that's identical in size to the rear wheel or am I tampering
with some sort of cosmic balance? Thanks.

Art

"Art" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My hybrid and I had a nasty accident and the rear wheel is shot. Frankly, this is not my main bike
> and an exact replacement rear wheel will cost more than I care to part with. So, is there any
> reason why I shouldn't buy a complete wheel that's identical in size to the rear wheel or am I
> tampering with some sort of cosmic balance? Thanks.
>
> Art

As inexpensive as pre-built wheels are, go for it. The only imbalance will be in your wallet if you
try and get an exact replacement.

Mike

> My hybrid and I had a nasty accident and the rear wheel is shot. Frankly, this is not my main bike
> and an exact replacement rear wheel will cost more than I care to part with. So, is there any
> reason why I shouldn't buy a complete wheel that's identical in size to the rear wheel or am I
> tampering with some sort of cosmic balance? Thanks.

The cosmic forces will forgive you. Just make sure it's for the right number of gears (7 or 9,
although you can always use a 9-speed hub with a 7 if you use a spacer), the correct width (130 or
135mm) and that the rim is similar in width to the original one, which isn't that big a deal except
that you'd have to readjust the brakes.

"Art" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My hybrid and I had a nasty accident and the rear wheel is shot. Frankly, this is not my main bike
> and an exact replacement rear wheel will cost more than I care to part with. So, is there any
> reason why I shouldn't buy a complete wheel that's identical in size to the rear wheel or am I
> tampering with some sort of cosmic balance? Thanks.
>
> Art

"Art" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My hybrid and I had a nasty accident and the rear wheel is shot. Frankly, this is not my main bike
> and an exact replacement rear wheel will cost more than I care to part with. So, is there any
> reason why I shouldn't buy a complete wheel that's identical in size to the rear wheel or am I
> tampering with some sort of cosmic balance?

When you shop for inexpensive wheels, take note that as we bike shops receive them there is no
lubricant in the bearings and the spokes are too loose to be reliably rideable. If you correct those
two things ( normal wheel prep) just about any wheel will do.

No cosmic balance problems should be encountered. You might also consider buying a new rim and
lacing it to your old hub as a cost saving measure assuming the hub is in good condition.