A wood bicycle rack

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce W.1, Jan 10, 2005.

  1. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    I built a wood rack to go on my bicycle. For one reason or another I
    didn't like what's available from the manufacturers.

    Here it is if you'd like to see it:
    http://www.keystandard.com/rack/index.htm

    All the supplies came from Home Depot. It weighs 9-1/2 ounces. The
    wood is 1/4" oak, that I coated with UV resistant urethane. And the
    dowel rod is 1/4" aluminum.

    It's rock solid and could probably carry a panier, but I'm not going to
    use it for that. I just need it to carry a stuffsack filled with extra
    clothing.

    I was also thinking about building a bookshelf to go on the handlebars. 8^)

    Tags:

  2. nice!
    now slab two ply sides from the rack to the eyelet above the axle
    protruding above the rack surface in three areas for other downward
    rope loops
    four lightening holes each side topsloped or rounded for good shockcord
    grip
    oak sucks use ply.

  3. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:49:33 GMT, "Bruce W.1"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I built a wood rack to go on my bicycle. For one reason or another I
    >didn't like what's available from the manufacturers.
    >
    >Here it is if you'd like to see it:
    >http://www.keystandard.com/rack/index.htm
    >
    >All the supplies came from Home Depot. It weighs 9-1/2 ounces. The
    >wood is 1/4" oak, that I coated with UV resistant urethane. And the
    >dowel rod is 1/4" aluminum.
    >
    >It's rock solid and could probably carry a panier, but I'm not going to
    >use it for that. I just need it to carry a stuffsack filled with extra
    >clothing.
    >
    >I was also thinking about building a bookshelf to go on the handlebars. 8^)

    Very nice!

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Bruce W.1 wrote:
    > I built a wood rack to go on my bicycle. For one reason or
    > another I didn't like what's available from the manufacturers.
    >
    > Here it is if you'd like to see it:
    > http://www.keystandard.com/rack/index.htm

    That's rather smart. Wood is good!

    --