a world champion power data point

lanierb

Aug 12, 2004
In this interview:

Taylor Phinney – Track World Championships Interview & Recap U23 Team

Taylor Phinney (who just won the world championships) says that he puts out 530 watts (for 4 minutes 16 seconds) in the pursuit.

I don't know much about the pursuit, but somehow I expected higher than that. We keep hearing rumors of Tour riders having FTPs in the upper 400s, which would put 5m power at 600w or more, wouldn't it? And yet I don't think LA would have been great at the pursuit even at his peak.

Sounds about right from the snippets of world class pursuit power I've seen. I can't remember which but I think one of the NZ riders (Sergent maybe) was around the 505 mark.

lanierb said:
I don't know much about the pursuit, but somehow I expected higher than that. We keep hearing rumors of Tour riders having FTPs in the upper 400s, which would put 5m power at 600w or more, wouldn't it? And yet I don't think LA would have been great at the pursuit even at his peak.

Aerodynamics plays a huge part in this equation. Think of Dave Zabriskie's success at TTs. He's no dynamo concerning power numbers, but IMU (in my understanding) he's one of the most "aero" racers in the pro peloton. If I could pay someone to take a few inches from my own shoulder width...

Further, I guess knowing Phinney's actual power requirements puts those FTP "rumors" in their proper place. Nonetheless, I'm familiar with 20min power being in those realms (high 400s while on a full "program"), but not "hour power".

I imagine if Cancellara trained at it, he'd turn a very, very respectable 4k pursuit time - heck, he'd even do a rippin' kilo...

Holding 500w for a minute is a chore for me. Holding onto that for 4 mins? I think NOT...ymmv

tonyzackery said:
I imagine if Cancellara trained at it, he'd turn a very, very respectable 4k pursuit time - heck, he'd even do a rippin' kilo...

Holding 500w for a minute is a chore for me. Holding onto that for 4 mins? I think NOT...ymmv

Cancellara considered it before Beijing but didn't have the top end power to match the Wiggins and Roulston. Not that Rouslton has a tonne of speed or strength either.

We had two riders go 3.22 for 3000m at Nats last year. One is very aero on the bike and the other is like a brick. 80 watt difference between them for the same time. Both went into the wind tunnel before Jnr Worlds and the aero one couldn't get any better on the bike while the brick had room for improvement.

Getting aero is one thing, delivering power in that position is another. I would expect up a climb sitting upright Phinney may produce more power for 4min 16sec.

fergie said:
Cancellara considered it before Beijing but didn't have the top end power to match the Wiggins and Roulston. Not that Rouslton has a tonne of speed or strength either.

Please explain this comment. What "top end" power are you referring to? Aren't we considering average power for a little more than four and quarter minutes? That Cancellara's got plenty of "top end" to average around 50k in road TTs - I reasonably deduce that he has plenty enough "top end" to get up to 60k in a velodrome...

tonyzackery said:
Please explain this comment. What "top end" power are you referring to? Aren't we considering average power for a little more than four and quarter minutes? That Cancellara's got plenty of "top end" to average around 50k in road TTs - I reasonably deduce that he has plenty enough "top end" to get up to 60k in a velodrome...

Perhaps it was riding a track bike, riding the bends (big difference between averaging ~400 watts on the track v on the road), the dif between riding 105rpm and 120rpm was too great. Perhaps he thought the 13 weeks that Wiggins focused on the IP and Track was too big a gamble with such a high probability of winning the road TT. Interesting that Boardman's 4km record is 57 kph in Superman position and his hour record is 56kph, not a big difference considering the duration gaps. Perhaps Cancellara gave it a shot and didn't like it.

Would be intresting to see what he could throw down in a flying 200m. Mini Phinney went 10.8 in the Omnium. I would be surprised if Wiggins, Roulston or Cancellara could crack 11sec. Both Cav and Henderson have gone 10.6 hence I deduce that these are your real top end power merchants. With training perhaps Fabian could get there but as in Wiggins case seeing what is on offer on road why would you?

As mentioned initially, if Canc trained for it he would do a very, very respectable 4k pursuit...thanks for the ancillary info...

tonyzackery said:
As mentioned initially, if Canc trained for it he would do a very, very respectable 4k pursuit...thanks for the ancillary info...

Could do!

Some people don't respond the riding the track like you would expect.