A12 death :( There is something you can do

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Fox, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    You may have heard of a cyclist killed on the A12 yesterday. It wasn't me.

    But I'm starting my A12 rush-hour rides this week from that very spot.

    The accident appears to be exactly as I have claimed was going to kill and which the Highways agency
    refuse to admit is a dangerous design.

    Even more reason for going ahead with the protest.

    I have asked the Road safety minister to chase up the HA and perhaps some of you good people might
    like to add your email.

    The minister for road safety is David Jamieson and you should be able to get a message to him at
    [email protected] marked for the minister's attention

    Here is what it's all about: <http://www.eminent.demon.co.uk/roadsafety.htm>
    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the porcelain business went down the pan

    Tags:

  2. Note -

    Peter Fox has been told, according to the local media reports, not to cycle along the A12, during
    the rush hour, by police. If this is true, can anyone tell me what right the police have to stop a
    single cyclist from cycling along a public highway??? On the surface of it, it sounds like pure
    anti-cyclist prejudice and possibly an illegal act. Has the CTC been informed of this?

    I don't know the full details, but from what is being put across in the local media, I am appalled
    by the police action.

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Peter Fox has been told, according to the local media reports, not to
    cycle
    > along the A12, during the rush hour, by police.

    You would have thought that with lower vehicle speeds during rush hour it would actually be safer in
    some ways.

  4. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Tuesday's ride goes ahead and we will see.

    The police have a number of opportunities to put foot (big) in mouth and make themselves look
    foolish. I have warned the chief const. by fax that anybody suggesting cycling safely and reasonably
    along a dual carriage way is causing an obstruction will be the immediate subject of a formal
    complaint.

    I also made the point that a bit of delay is nothing when compared to lives. Apparently their
    latest statement witters on about all the manpower they are putting into investigating the death of
    the TT - Shame

    have any cycling officer.)

    The HA are still in denial. Just shows what a pathetic bunch of civil servants they are - When
    people are incapable of taking responsibility for their actions they shouldn't be trusted with
    responsibility.

    Ta for all the support, including offers to ride. Let's take it one step at a time - Today the real
    work needs to be done by harassing your MP to harass David Jamieson MP (Road safety minister).
    (Numbers in phone book.)

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the bridge building business collapsed

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

    : I also made the point that a bit of delay is nothing when compared to lives. Apparently their
    : latest statement witters on about all the manpower they are putting into investigating the death
    : of the TT - Shame

    : have any cycling officer.)

    It's a fair point tho, and maybe worth making, that it's ok to *ride* along the A14 while still
    being stupidly dangerous to *race* along it. There's a world of difference.

    Arthur

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 14 Jul 2003 21:09:13 GMT someone who may be [email protected]
    (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote this:-

    >If this is true, can anyone tell me what right the police have to stop a single cyclist from
    >cycling along a public highway???

    His crime is a serious one, being a cyclist. The police generally go out of their way to pick
    on cyclists.

  7. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:38:06 +0100 someone who may be Peter Fox <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >Apparently their latest statement witters on about all the manpower they are putting into
    >investigating the death of the TT - Shame they haven't done anything about _prevention_.

    That's because the police would have to do something they are most reluctant to do, investigate a
    large government organisation. It's much easier to go for individuals.

  8. Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tuesday's ride goes ahead and we will see.

    <big snip>

    Peter, Have you posted your actions on the CTT board and the veloriders board? A lot of regulars on
    the boards come from that part of the woods.

    www.veloriders.co.uk www.ctt.org.uk

    SteveP

  9. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Arrested and charged with causing a wilful obstruction without lawful authority or excuse!

    Cycling on a dual carriage way is a crime!

    The police are going to get some stick for the way they have handled this in more ways than one.

    The implication for all are well appreciated and some well known names will be on-side when this
    matter comes to a proper court hearing.

    In the meantime the Highways agency continue spouting rubbish From the acting chief executive: "...I
    can assure you the provision for cyclists for each scheme is assessed on its merits" So what? I
    didn't say it wasn't.

    Obviously he isn't concerned how the HA could ever propose something as dangerous as a high-speed
    merge in the first place.

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the cardboard box company folded

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:19:56 +0100, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >His crime is a serious one, being a cyclist. The police generally go out of their way to pick on
    >cyclists.

    Your Plod May Vary. My local beat constable travels almost exclusively by bike (as Alex "Mr Rat"
    will bear witness) and the busies in Henley have been tremendously supportive when Captain Clueless
    has done his worst to spoil my day.

    Guy
    ===

  11. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys
    at the keyboard of Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Arrested and charged with causing a wilful obstruction without lawful authority or excuse!

    Thou shalt not ... erm ... challenge authority! Nice to hear you're getting some publicity, but have
    you got any of the meeja on-side, or will you end up as the loony/villain yourself?

    > Obviously he isn't concerned how the HA could ever propose something as dangerous as a high-speed
    > merge in the first place.

    I just looked at it on your webpage. There are a couple of superficially- similar merges on my
    regular journey into Plymouth, that I don't consider particularly dangerous. OTTOMH I can think of
    one on the way in and two on the way home, all within 40mph limits.

    The one on the way in is downhill, which means the speed difference between cyclists and cars is
    small. Both the ones on the way home are uphill, but benefit.from a stretch where bikes can merge
    but cars can't, which I can occupy until there's a gap in traffic from the left.

    All of them doubtless also benefit from the lighter and less stressed traffic of the southwest,
    compared to London core commuterland.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:16:01 +0100, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Arrested and charged with causing a wilful obstruction without lawful authority or excuse

    I hope you throw the book at them - the book being Cyclecraft, obviously ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
    offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

  13. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:14:25 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Your Plod May Vary.

    Individual officers do indeed vary. However, as a series of organisations the police display an
    institutional attitude that is not even handed.

    My personal view is that all unknown police officers should be treated with suspicion, unless
    vouched for by a respectable member of society.

  14. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    David Hansen wrote:

    >My personal view is that all unknown police officers should be treated with suspicion, unless
    >vouched for by a respectable member of society.

    Indeed. Remember the paedophile hunter in Soham whose computer was filled with images of
    young children?

    Yesterday I saw a police car shooting down my road, lights flashing and sirens blaring. It came to a
    road junction on red, where it met an ambulance crossing its path. The police car skidded to a halt,
    and only narrowly missed the paramedics.
    --
    remove remove to reply

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:27:20 +0100, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

    >My personal view is that all unknown police officers should be treated with suspicion, unless
    >vouched for by a respectable member of society.

    My view is that they should be treated as someone who's there to do a job which generally makes my
    life better. But I'm middle class.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
    offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

  16. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Indeed. Remember the paedophile hunter in Soham whose computer was filled with images of young
    > children?
    >
    > Yesterday I saw a police car shooting down my road, lights flashing and sirens blaring. It came to
    > a road junction on red, where it met an ambulance crossing its path. The police car skidded to a
    > halt, and only narrowly missed the paramedics.
    > --

    Also a number of police officers from Erith are on trial at the moment for threatening to torture
    and taunting a guy after they had run him down (and broken his leg) outside his house. All in a
    normal day's work for your average copper, but these officers were unlucky because one of the
    victim's neighbours heard the noise and recorded it all on CC TV. Funny how this kind of stuff gets
    so little air time.

  17. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:27:20 +0100, David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >My personal view is that all unknown police officers should be treated with suspicion, unless
    > >vouched for by a respectable member of society.
    >
    > My view is that they should be treated as someone who's there to do a job which generally makes my
    > life better. But I'm middle class.

    ...and therefore have never actually met one :)

    James

  18. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Frank X <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Also a number of police officers from Erith are on trial at the moment for

    This is a little harsh. There's bad eggs in all walks of life. THe police I've had to deal with have
    all been very professional and good.

    Arthur

  19. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Frank X <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > : Also a number of police officers from Erith are on trial at the moment
    for

    > This is a little harsh. There's bad eggs in all walks of life. THe police I've had to deal with
    > have all been very professional and good.

    No I don't believe it is harsh. I have very little to do with the police but I have seen them commit
    crimes on a number of occasions. Police men must see criminal behaviour by their colleagues
    regularly, if they say nothing they are corrupt themselves because it is their job to stop crime if
    they do report the offence they are blackballed by colleagues and eventually hounded out of the
    force. I don't see how decent people can survive within the police.

    The police go to great lengths to prevent any independent investigation of their activities,
    coverage of offences like the above is minimal and there is always some one ready with the a few bad
    apples in every profession argument. The fact that the police are reasonable most of the time and
    reasonable to certain groups of people doesn't excuse the times when they are not.

    Maybe it is different in rural police forces, which do integrate with the community, but in London
    everything I see personally and in the news convinces that police corruption is endemic.

    Note I don't consider what they have done to Peter corrupt or criminal just inappropriate.

  20. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:

    >Frank X <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >: Also a number of police officers from Erith are on trial at the moment for
    >
    >This is a little harsh. There's bad eggs in all walks of life. THe police I've had to deal with
    >have all been very professional and good.

    The police are generally OK if you are perceived as a goodie. The moment they perceive you as a
    baddie you're in for a hard time.

    A good friend of mine and (believe it or not) an acquaintance of Pa*l Sm*th was given a very hard
    time by the Northern Constabulary when suspected of drink driving. They made assumptions they should
    never have made and spent an hour taunting him until two more officers turned up to administer the
    breath test. The reading was green - not even amber.

    Read the third paragraph of this web page and you'll see that he's turning as nutty as Pa*l Sm*th.
    He's a mountaineering companion and myself and others are supporting him with his difficulties.

    http://www.paul.orientfans.co.uk/About_me_files/About_me.htm
    --
    remove remove to reply