A4Z Hub / Campag 10 speed Cassette

auzgray

Sep 19, 2012
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Hargroves cycles in Fareham sold me my Ridley Flandrien and are no longer stocking their bikes, or spares. I need a new freehub on a A4Z hub and Campag Veloce rear cassette as it sounds like the bearings are gone. Making horrible grinding noises and cassette is loose. They have said they will see what they can get in, but are not overly hopeful. Not sure what to do...[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Need my bike to get to work, so pretty desperate and have no tools to fix this myself. Shall I just go and get a new wheel fitted? No other local mechanic / shop has the tools to work on the wheel either.[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]What's general advice, or is there someone local to Fareham who can help?[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Many thanks in anticipation[/COLOR] [COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Auz[/COLOR]

FYI. You can actually substitute any SHIMANO-compatible wheel + 9-speed SHIMANO Cassette for a Campagnolo 10-speed wheel & Cassette ...

The only caveat which I can think of is that the rear wheel will need to have the same axle spacing (e.g., 130mm).

You will need to adjust the High-Low stops on your rear derailleur ...

The High-Low stop depends on the driveside flange offset (it will probably be slightly more on a Campagnolo rear hub than an 'aftermarket' rear hub) ...

You can do a preliminary test with a friend's (OR, a bike shop's) Shimano-compatible rear wheel to satisfy your disbelief, first, without adjusting the stops if you don't slam the chain from high-to-low ...

Tweaking the indexing will be beneficial, but the ramping on Shimano Cassettes is so forgiving that you can probably wait if you want!?!

BTW. If you can live with only 9-cogs, then the long-term advantage is greater availability of replacement Cassettes.

auzgray said:
Hargroves cycles in Fareham sold me my Ridley Flandrien and are no longer stocking their bikes, or spares. I need a new freehub on a A4Z hub and Campag Veloce rear cassette as it sounds like the bearings are gone. Making horrible grinding noises and cassette is loose. They have said they will see what they can get in, but are not overly hopeful. Not sure what to do... Need my bike to get to work, so pretty desperate and have no tools to fix this myself. Shall I just go and get a new wheel fitted? No other local mechanic / shop has the tools to work on the wheel either. What's general advice, or is there someone local to Fareham who can help? Many thanks in anticipation Auz
I'd suggest contacting Ridley directly either via phone or email. I'm 99% sure you meant "4ZA" hub, not "A4Z".

Cheers guys, I contacted Ridley and they told me to take the bike to a local dealer, although I'd already explained that the local dealer has stopped stocking their bikes. I advised them again and they said to find another dealer. Next one is an hour train ride (plus finding the place) away. The bike is currently with Solent Cycles who are seeing if they can sort it, but if not, the Shimano option sounds brilliant.

I've learnt a lesson from all of this, and will go with the easy to work on option in future ie not Italian...

And I'll get checked out for dyslexia A4Z ZA4 4ZA!!!

Auz/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif