AB jewels

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Notbob, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Notbob

Notbob Guest

heh heh...

I just heard Alton Brown make a hilarious crack about squirrels ..."their spookie little hands"!
    (maybe it's just me)

Anyway, anyone wanna contribute another AB line that struck them funny?

nb

Tags:

2. Donna Rose

Donna Rose Guest

In article <y9f%[email protected]_s52>, [email protected] says...
    > heh heh...
    >
    > I just heard Alton Brown make a hilarious crack about squirrels ..."their spookie little hands"!
    > (maybe it's just me)
    >
    > Anyway, anyone wanna contribute another AB line that struck them funny?
    >
    > nb
    >
    I can't recall any specific ones - I'm the type of person who for some reason just can never
    remember jokes. I do think he's hilarious and makes me laugh at least once or twice an episode. Now
    that you've brought this up, I'll probably take better notice.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are

3. Notbob

Notbob Guest

On 2004-02-26, Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't recall any specific ones - I'm the type of person who for some reason just can never
    > remember jokes. I do think he's hilarious and makes me laugh at least once or twice an episode.
    > Now that you've brought this up, I'll probably take better notice.

Yeah. Let's face it, the whole cooking show industry takes itself way to seriously. That's why I
    don't mind Emeril, even though we're all suffering from a mild case of "bam/notch" toxicity. At
    least Emeril has a sense of humour and is not above self deprecation. AB adds a whole new level of
    humor to tv food shows. He's not only funny, he also has the uncanny ability to spear sacred cows
    without offending. His s satire is dead nuts (OB food!). I thinks he's the best humor to come along
    since Al Bundy (which shows you where my head is at :).

nb

4. "notbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:y9f%[email protected]_s52...
    > heh heh...
    >
    > I just heard Alton Brown make a hilarious crack about squirrels ..."their spookie little hands"!
    > (maybe it's just me)
    >
    >
    > nb

called the little buggers tree rats last evening. -Ginny

5. T E

T E Guest

From: [email protected] (notbob) heh heh... I just heard Alton Brown make a hilarious crack about
    squirrels .."their spookie little hands"! (maybe it's just me) Anyway, anyone wanna contribute
    another AB line that struck them funny? nb-
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------
    When David Rosengarten had his show Taste he made a comment I will always remember If Karen
    Carpenter ate like Mama Cass and Mama Cass ate like Karen Carpenter they both would be alive today.
    I called his show Tasteless from then on.

6. Goomba38

Goomba38 Guest

T E wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > ----------------------------
    > When David Rosengarten had his show Taste he made a comment I will always remember If Karen
    > Carpenter ate like Mama Cass and Mama Cass ate like Karen Carpenter they both would be alive
    > today. I called his show Tasteless from then on.

Oh geeez, that old joke? Too bad he couldn't come up with an original line.

7. notbob wrote:
    >
    > On 2004-02-26, Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I can't recall any specific ones - I'm the type of person who for some reason just can never
    > > remember jokes. I do think he's hilarious and makes me laugh at least once or twice an episode.
    > > Now that you've brought this up, I'll probably take better notice.
    >
    > Yeah. Let's face it, the whole cooking show industry takes itself way to seriously. That's why I
    > don't mind Emeril, even though we're all suffering from a mild case of "bam/notch" toxicity. At
    > least Emeril has a sense of humour and is not above self deprecation. AB adds a whole new level of
    > humor to tv food shows. He's not only funny, he also has the uncanny ability to spear sacred cows
    > without offending. His s satire is dead nuts (OB food!). I thinks he's the best humor to come
    > along since Al Bundy (which shows you where my head is at :).
    >
    > nb

Hearing this almost makes me wish I could afford cable. Well, I *do* wish I could afford it - that
    would make me better off financially - I just wouldn't get it. ;-) Kate

--
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all
    about? mailto:[email protected]

8. Kilikini

Kilikini Guest

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > notbob wrote:
    > >
    > > On 2004-02-26, Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I can't recall any specific ones - I'm the type of person who for some reason just can never
    > > > remember jokes. I do think he's hilarious and makes me laugh at least once or twice an
    > > > episode. Now that you've
    brought
    > > > this up, I'll probably take better notice.
    > >
    > > Yeah. Let's face it, the whole cooking show industry takes itself way
    to
    > > seriously. That's why I don't mind Emeril, even though we're all
    suffering
    > > from a mild case of "bam/notch" toxicity. At least Emeril has a sense
    of
    > > humour and is not above self deprecation. AB adds a whole new level of humor to tv food shows.
    > > He's not only funny, he also has the uncanny ability to spear sacred cows without offending. His
    > > s satire is dead
    nuts
    > > (OB food!). I thinks he's the best humor to come along since Al Bundy (which shows you where my
    > > head is at :).
    > >
    > > nb
    >
    > Hearing this almost makes me wish I could afford cable. Well, I *do* wish I could afford it - that
    > would make me better off financially - I just wouldn't get it. ;-) Kate
    >
    > --
    > Kate Connally "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already." Goldfish: "The wholesome snack
    > that smiles back, Until you bite their heads off." What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's
    > all about? mailto:[email protected]

Kate, we're in the same boat, except I *do* have cable, but I forgo good food instead. I pray to the
    mighty can of spaghetti sauce! kilikini

9. Sd

Sd Guest

In article <y9f%[email protected]_s52>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

Dunno about funny, but I liked this one: "All of life's big problems include the words "indictment"
    or "inoperable." Everything else is small stuff."

sd

10. Frogleg

Frogleg Guest

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 05:24:59 -0600, sd <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <y9f%[email protected]_s52>, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Anyway, anyone wanna contribute another AB line that struck them funny?
    >
    >Dunno about funny, but I liked this one: "All of life's big problems include the words "indictment"
    >or "inoperable." Everything else is small stuff."

From AB? Calvin Trillin mentions something about a business card with "Not under indictment" in the
    small print.

11. Donna Rose

Donna Rose Guest

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > In article <y9f%[email protected]_s52>, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Anyway, anyone wanna contribute another AB line that struck them funny?
    >
    > Dunno about funny, but I liked this one: "All of life's big problems include the words
    > "indictment" or "inoperable." Everything else is small stuff."
    >
    > sd
    >
    Another one that comes to mind is one that I think someone was using as a sig line for a bit: "Any
    civilization that has more lawyers than butchers can hardly be considered civilized".
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

12. Sd

Sd Guest

In article <[email protected]>,
    Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Dunno about funny, but I liked this one: "All of life's big problems include the words
    > >"indictment" or "inoperable." Everything else is small stuff."
    >
    > From AB? Calvin Trillin mentions something about a business card with "Not under indictment" in
    > the small print.

I could see that Calvin Trillin _might_ have said something similar (I could even see him saying
    what was quoted above). But a Google of this quote and the name "Calvin" comes up empty. Apparently
    this one belongs to Alton.

sd

13. Frogleg

Frogleg Guest

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:59:51 -0600, sd <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> >Dunno about funny, but I liked this one: "All of life's big problems include the words
    >> >"indictment" or "inoperable." Everything else is small stuff."
    >>
    >> From AB? Calvin Trillin mentions something about a business card with "Not under indictment" in
    >> the small print.
    >
    >I could see that Calvin Trillin _might_ have said something similar (I could even see him saying
    >what was quoted above). But a Google of this quote and the name "Calvin" comes up empty. Apparently
    >this one belongs to Alton.

Sorry. Will have to re-read the Tummy Trilogy again. But this *is* a Trillin line, And he
    considerably pre-dates Alton, whom I thoroughly enjoy.

14. Notbob

Notbob Guest

Alton was in rare form tonight, knockin' 'em out left and right. My fav was:

"...so un-hip, it's positively Hazel!"

Strangely, Alton doesn't look old enough to know about Hazel. Are they running that old dog
    on TVland?

nb

15. Mark Shaw

Mark Shaw Guest

In article <[email protected]_s52>, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >heh heh...
    >
    >I just heard Alton Brown make a hilarious crack about squirrels ..."their spookie little hands"!
    >(maybe it's just me)
    >
    >Anyway, anyone wanna contribute another AB line that struck them funny?

See my sig.

--
    Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    ========================================================================
    "How can any culture that has more lawyers than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

16. Frogleg

Frogleg Guest

On 29 Feb 2004 17:34:38 -0500, [email protected] (Mark Shaw) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]_s52>, notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

>>I just heard Alton Brown make a hilarious crack about squirrels ..."their spookie little hands"!
    >>(maybe it's just me)
    >>
    >>Anyway, anyone wanna contribute another AB line that struck them funny?
    >
    >See my sig.

>"How can any culture that has more lawyers than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown

I see one in a Brit gardening group:

Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit; Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.

17. Frogleg wrote:
    >
    > I see one in a Brit gardening group:
    >
    > Knowledge is knowing that tomatoes are a fruit; Wisdom is not putting them into a fruit salad.

I love this! Kate

--
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all

18. Frogleg wrote:
    >
    > Sorry. Will have to re-read the Tummy Trilogy again. But this *is* a Trillin line, And he
    > considerably pre-dates Alton, whom I thoroughly enjoy.

I just read the Tummy Trilogy a few months ago. It was great. I love Calvin. But can't back you up
    on the quote as my brain these days is like moldy cheese. Can't retain a thing.

Kate
    --

19. Kilikini

Kilikini Guest

"Kate Connally" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Frogleg wrote:
    > >
    > > Sorry. Will have to re-read the Tummy Trilogy again. But this *is* a Trillin line, And he
    > > considerably pre-dates Alton, whom I thoroughly enjoy.
    >
    > I just read the Tummy Trilogy a few months ago. It was great. I love Calvin. But can't back you up
    > on the quote as my brain these days is like moldy cheese. Can't retain a thing.
    >
    > Kate
    > --
    > Kate Connally "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already." Goldfish: "The wholesome snack
    > that smiles back, Until you bite their heads off." What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's
    > all about? mailto:[email protected]

Refrain from booze in the morning. Just kidding!

kilikini