Abandon Ship?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by B. Lafferty, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    The repercussions of the case are likely to go far beyond Heras's own
    personal disgrace.

    The exposure of the team's number one rider is likely to prompt insurance
    giant Liberty to review their sponsorship of the Spanish-based outfit and
    could cause other leading businesses to withdraw their support from cycling

    The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    riders on the circuit, further undermines the reputation of a sport that has
    had its image badly tarnished by a succession of similar episodes in recent
    years.

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...S-CYCLING-HERAS-TEST.xml&pageNumber=0&summit=

    Tags:

  2. Tim Lines

    Tim Lines Guest

    B. Lafferty wrote:
    > The repercussions of the case are likely to go far beyond Heras's own
    > personal disgrace.
    >
    > The exposure of the team's number one rider is likely to prompt insurance
    > giant Liberty to review their sponsorship of the Spanish-based outfit and
    > could cause other leading businesses to withdraw their support from cycling

    Poor word economy. "The end is near!" gets the same point across in
    fewer words.

  3. xzzy

    xzzy Guest

    Brian, interesting points, I am sorry if my reply rambles as I am sick with
    a fever today.

    > The repercussions of the case are likely to go far beyond Heras's own
    > personal disgrace.
    > . . . . .
    > The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    > riders on the circuit, further undermines the reputation of a sport that

    has
    > had its image badly tarnished by a succession of similar episodes in

    recent
    > years.

    yes, on the other hand, some other sports are viewed as clean because they
    either do not test, or the terms for the testing are defined by the sport in
    question's players.

    do sponsors want to put their advertising dollars into
    - a sport that is actively being a leader and looking for drug use to
    keep things clean - I believe this is good,
    - or do they want to put their dollars into sports that stick their head
    in the sand ( for example baseball )
    - or put their dollars into something like bodybuilding where drugs are
    the norm
    it's their choice to spend dollars to best promote their company. I am just
    saying that if I was chosing, I would chose the people and sport that is
    proactive.

    The convictions of Hamilton, Heras, etc. can be viewed as either the glass
    half empty or the glass half full.

    > The repercussions of the case are likely to go far beyond Heras's own
    > personal disgrace.
    >
    > The exposure of the team's number one rider is likely to prompt insurance
    > giant Liberty to review their sponsorship of the Spanish-based outfit and
    > could cause other leading businesses to withdraw their support from

    cycling

    > The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    > riders on the circuit, further undermines the reputation of a sport that

    has
    > had its image badly tarnished by a succession of similar episodes in

    recent
    > years.

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=sportsNews&storyID=uri:2
    005-11-25T184511Z_01_KNE558278_RTRUKOC_0_US-CYCLING-HERAS-TEST.xml&pageNumbe
    r=0&summit=

  4. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    I see where Dick Pound is going after the NHL now.... wow thugs on
    drugs who would have ever guessed that was coming.

  5. Hunter

    Hunter Guest

    Next on Dick Pound's hit list: rappers.

  6. B. Lafferty wrote:

    > The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    > riders on the circuit,

    <snip>

    Dumbass -

    For the past several years you've been trying to make the case that
    doping makes cycling less exciting.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  7. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > B. Lafferty wrote:
    >>
    >> The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    >> riders on the circuit,

    > <snip>
    >

    > Dumbass -
    >

    > For the past several years you've been trying to make the case that
    > doping makes cycling less exciting.
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

    I think the writer was engaging in hyperbole. Did you rent Adams' Family
    Values and have a nice Thanksgiving?

  8. On 26 Nov 2005 15:58:51 -0800, "Hunter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Next on Dick Pound's hit list: rappers.

    Never get away with it, not just before the Christmas shopping season.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  9. B. Lafferty wrote:
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > B. Lafferty wrote:
    > >>
    > >> The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    > >> riders on the circuit,

    > > <snip>
    > >

    > > Dumbass -
    > >

    > > For the past several years you've been trying to make the case that
    > > doping makes cycling less exciting.
    > >

    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > K. Gringioni.
    > >

    > I think the writer was engaging in hyperbole.

    Dumbass -

    Heras won the Vuelta in the last week this year and what was it, 2
    years ago?, he won it on the last day.

    You are correct. Very, very boring.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  10. On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:06:53 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >The repercussions of the case are likely to go far beyond Heras's own
    >personal disgrace.
    >
    >The exposure of the team's number one rider is likely to prompt insurance
    >giant Liberty to review their sponsorship of the Spanish-based outfit and
    >could cause other leading businesses to withdraw their support from cycling
    >
    >The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    >riders on the circuit, further undermines the reputation of a sport that has
    >had its image badly tarnished by a succession of similar episodes in recent
    >years.

    I get the feeling this makes you very happy.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  11. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 22:06:53 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The repercussions of the case are likely to go far beyond Heras's own
    >>personal disgrace.
    >>
    >>The exposure of the team's number one rider is likely to prompt insurance
    >>giant Liberty to review their sponsorship of the Spanish-based outfit and
    >>could cause other leading businesses to withdraw their support from
    >>cycling
    >>
    >>The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    >>riders on the circuit, further undermines the reputation of a sport that
    >>has
    >>had its image badly tarnished by a succession of similar episodes in
    >>recent
    >>years.

    > I get the feeling this makes you very happy.
    >
    > JT

    Happy? No. But it really doesn't matter how I feel. It's how Liberty Mutual
    and other sponsors (actual and potential) feel.

  12. B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >>The positive from Heras, widely recognised as one of the most exciting
    > >>riders on the circuit, further undermines the reputation of a sport that
    > >>has
    > >>had its image badly tarnished by a succession of similar episodes in
    > >>recent
    > >>years.

    > > I get the feeling this makes you very happy.
    > >
    > > JT

    > Happy? No.

    Dumbass -

    No one here is fooled when you lie.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

  13. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > B. Lafferty wrote:

    >> > I get the feeling this makes you very happy.
    >> >
    >> > JT

    >> Happy? No.

    > Dumbass -
    >

    > No one here is fooled when you lie.
    >

    > thanks,
    >
    > K. Gringioni.

    Wrong yet again, Moron.

  14. B. Lafferty wrote:
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > B. Lafferty wrote:

    > >> Happy? No.

    > > No one here is fooled when you lie.

    > Wrong yet again, Moron.

    Okay, prove it. Point to one person who was fooled when you lied.

    Ben
    RBR Special Prosecutor

  15. On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:31:58 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> B. Lafferty wrote:

    >>> Happy? No.

    >> Dumbass -
    >>

    >> No one here is fooled when you lie.
    >>

    >> thanks,
    >>
    >> K. Gringioni.

    I thought you were going to say "It's not a lie when I believe it."

    Look inside yourself.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  16. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > B. Lafferty wrote:

    >> > No one here is fooled when you lie.

    >> Wrong yet again, Moron.

    > Okay, prove it. Point to one person who was fooled when you lied.

    You know what I was referring to.

  17. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:31:58 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>> Dumbass -
    >>>

    >>> No one here is fooled when you lie.
    >>>

    >>> thanks,
    >>>
    >>> K. Gringioni.

    > I thought you were going to say "It's not a lie when I believe it."

    Is it not a lie when you believe it?

    > Look inside yourself.

    All the time. Didn't they give you some tools for that at Harvard. If they
    didn't, let me know.

  18. Me

    Me Guest

    On 11/29/05 4:58 PM, in article
    [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> B. Lafferty wrote:

    >>> Wrong yet again, Moron.

    >> Okay, prove it. Point to one person who was fooled when you lied.

    > You know what I was referring to.

    Who's on first??

  19. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BFB23EDD.16E5B1%[email protected]
    > On 11/29/05 4:58 PM, in article
    > [email protected], "B. Lafferty"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> Okay, prove it. Point to one person who was fooled when you lied.

    >> You know what I was referring to.
    >>

    > Who's on first??

    :)

  20. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > No one here is fooled when you lie.

    He can't be a very good lawyer then. Perhaps he needs to brush up on Lying
    101 as taught at most reputable law schools.