abandoned bikes

10timesbetter

Oct 7, 2004
there's a bike that's been on the bike rack outside one of my school buildings for a little while now, it hasn't moved, it was even hanging off the end at a 45 degree angle, so i picked it back up straight cause i felt bad for it. I'm starting to think no one's coming back for it, and i'd really like to take it home with me, but i'm defiantely not trying to steal it. how long do you think a bike should sit on a bike rack, untouched, before it can be considered abandoned, and i shouldn't have to feel bad for taking it home??

You should ask the owner of the bike rack how long it has been there. Is it a good brand or is it old junk. Maybe, you could offer the bike rack owner money for it.

In my town the police will pick it up if they are aware of it. They then keep it in stolen/abandoned property for 1 year. At that point they have an auction that supports the police explorers. I bought a bike for my wife at 1 of their auctions.

it's infront of a school building, so i'm sure i'd get a dumb look if i went to the dean to ask about the bike, it's been there for almost a week now,

it's a nice bike, probably about 10 years old, nothing amazing, but my frame is probably about 30 years old, so it looks pretty good by comparison, i've asked a few other people what they thought, but it's hard to get a real opinion about that from someone who doesn't ride, cause they don't understand the love we have for our bikes....:eek: I was just curious how long you guys would ever leave a bike sitting somewhere, I know i wouldn't ever leave mine somewhere more that over night, and that's if i had to, like if i got a flattire, and was way too far to walk it home, i'd have to take the bus back, and come back for it in the morning, I'd never just leave it there for a week, plus my bike is only worth like $150 in parts,

and for the situation....the tires were a little soft, it was a little muddy(its a road bike, not a mtn bike), back brake was a little squishy(i squeezed the levers, i know, i shouldn't have touched it), the tires were ok, but a little dry rotted, and the front tire looks like it was started to rip trough a spot on the side, so i kinda get the idea it's not the best taken care of, cause my bike would never look like that....

10timesbetter said:
it's been there for almost a week now,
1 week is not an abandoned bike. If you take it now you are stealing it. Try after a couple of months.

I'd wait a little longer. Maybe you can turn it in at Security on campus or at the local police station. They may auction it off or give it back to you later. In any event it will be better protected than it is now. It may allready be stolen and find it's way back home, thanks to you.

Cheesy says one week is not an abandoned bike. This is true. I think people that are into bikes should respect each other and not even think of taking a bike that has been sitting. Doesn't matter how long.

I have seen a couple of abandoned bikes back when I liven in the countryside. No one picked them up since they were lying on the ground and were already rusty so maybe the tires were broken and nobody wanted to replace them and that was why they were left.

Over 10 years later and I wonder if the bike is still there?

I once found a pretty decent bike one night that was just laying in a skip from an old building clearance. It had no wheels, but the frame and the gears all looked in pretty good condition. Unfortunately a cop car passed by as I was inspecting it and they had a couple of words with me. I was told that despite stuff being thrown out into a skip, taking things from it is still considered theft. I learned something new that night.

11 years ago. Pretty sure it is a pile of rust by now. I am more concerned why JSWIN has a thing for abandoned threads.

jhuskey said:
11 years ago. Pretty sure it is a pile of rust by now. I am more concerned why JSWIN has a thing for abandoned threads.
Giving some thread support to Cheesy who last logged on in February of 2007. But I'm sure his support traveled through the aether and arrived. Whether Cheesy is still alive to receive it, who knows.

When I was a kid my Dad pulled a Schwinn Predator BMX bike out of the dumpster. It was so random that he even saw it poking out, but that bike would certainly be considered abandoned. My Dad replaced the front wheel and repainted it. He then gave it to me as a surprise gift. I was ecstatic!

Is there anywhere you could turn it in? It doesn't sound like it's been there long enough to really be considered abandoned. If your school has a Facebook page maybe you could post a picture of the bike and ask if anyone knows the owner.

jhuskey said:
I've got a theory: the same person has a few user names. They're ****** of with something, so they're dredging up ancient threads in a very subtle attempt to sabotage the forum :D

531Aussie said:
I've got a theory: the same person has a few user names. They're ****** of with something, so they're dredging up ancient threads in a very subtle attempt to sabotage the forum :D

Yesterday he was digging up just the 2010 ones...

I think this explains the situation:

8f51d17a6a405465f005a5a4522e2c47.jpg

Volnix said:
Yesterday he was digging up just the 2010 ones...

I think this explains the situation:

8f51d17a6a405465f005a5a4522e2c47.jpg
How do we know it's a he?

Could be something alien...like I'm thinking he looks exactly like the trollface guy :D

Go for it they do not have chassis number nor VIN that was a joke. I think the school security could do something about it since it is in their area. You can ask them or tell them about it.

It's better to ask around and see if the owner can be contacted. I think this is the best and moral thing to do. I doubt you'll be given a negative answer if the bike has been sitting there for so long. Very likely, the owner may be glad that there's someone willing to take the bike off their hands.

I don't know what's weirder--JSLose's compulsion for zombie threads, or the people who post in them without realizing that the topic is 11 years old. :wacko: