Abandoned Locks

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
I live in London and I'm a regular cyclist. However, I've always wondered why I see so many abandoned bike locks left on railings and bike stands.

Is it simply that people have lost their keys and removed the rest of the bike - if this is the case, why doesn't one see more wheels attached to the lock rather than just the lock itself?

On 2007-07-27, dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:

> I live in London and I'm a regular cyclist. However, I've always
> wondered why I see so many abandoned bike locks left on railings and
> bike stands.

Usually you leave a lock where you work to save carrying it backwards
and forwards every day (they weigh a lot). But then it gets
complicated-- you go to a shop on the way home, so leave the lock there
and have to remember to go past the shop to pick it up the next day. Or
you plan to go to a shop the following morning so move the lock there on
the way home. If you have a few locks you might leave them strategically
arranged around near places you usually go to. In all the confusion I
expect some locks get lost.

On Jul 27, 8:04 am, dannyfrankszzz <dannyfrankszzz.2ud...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I live in London and I'm a regular cyclist. However, I've always
> wondered why I see so many abandoned bike locks left on railings and
> bike stands.
>
> Is it simply that people have lost their keys and removed the rest of
> the bike - if this is the case, why doesn't one see more wheels
> attached to the lock rather than just the lock itself?
>
> --
> dannyfrankszzz

I think that the cyclists are just claiming a parking space for thier
bicycles by leaving thier locks there.

Cullen
www.comatimes.blogspot.com