Abandoned Royal Mail Cvcle.

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:24:00 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> [email protected] (g.harman) sd / msg
> <[email protected]> dtd Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:47:25
> GMT:
>
>>A commercial premises I call on occasionally has had a Royal Mail
>>Pashley cycle leant up against a wall within its yard for approx 3 to
>>4 months now.

> Ask the manager of the company to let RM know you have it, and get him
> to sign a chit saying it was removed by you from his premises with his
> permission following repeated requests to RM to remove it; keep that
> in case Plod come calling. And then ride that Pashley with pride!
>
> Guy

The trouble is he might get legally arrested by every copper who doesn't
know his got it legally and whilst he could prove his ownership it could
get to be a little wearing dragging a friend out with the chit each time.
Sometimes I think life just ain't worth the effort if you get my drift.

Sniper8052

Sniper8052 <[email protected]> sd / msg
<[email protected]> dtd Wed, 12 Oct 2005
20:54:57 GMT:

>> Ask the manager of the company to let RM know you have it, and get him
>> to sign a chit saying it was removed by you from his premises with his
>> permission following repeated requests to RM to remove it; keep that
>> in case Plod come calling. And then ride that Pashley with pride!

>The trouble is he might get legally arrested by every copper who doesn't
>know his got it legally and whilst he could prove his ownership it could
>get to be a little wearing dragging a friend out with the chit each time.
>Sometimes I think life just ain't worth the effort if you get my drift.

I have a ready solution to that: buy a pair of dark blue shorts and a
light blue short-sleeved shirt - which is what I normally wear as it
happens. I ride past the sorting office on the way to work and often
get a nod from the posties, who seem to think I'm one of them :)

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:57:46 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I have a ready solution to that: buy a pair of dark blue shorts and a
> light blue short-sleeved shirt - which is what I normally wear as it
> happens. I ride past the sorting office on the way to work and often get
> a nod from the posties, who seem to think I'm one of them :)

But remember a Martel-hat is part of your uniform, and not an item of
"safety" equipment!

Mike

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:47:01 GMT,
Sniper8052 <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:04:39 GMT, Call me Bob wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:47:25 GMT, [email protected] (g.harman)
>> wrote:
>>
>>>However these things are a bit distinctive and I have no wish to get a
>>>criminal record by being found on Royal Mails bike even if they do not
>>>seem to want it.

> The law states that you cannot steal something which has, or you reasonably
> beleive has been, abandoned. If the yard is private property, IE not owned
> or rented by the council to local businesses - in which case the cycle
> would belong to them - then the *owner* not the tenent of the property has
> the right to dispose of it as they see fit.
> As said above whilst in the strictest sense of the theft act this would not
> be theft and given that one might reasonably prove the cycle had not been
> stolen by getting copies of the letters sent to the post office concerning
> the cycle and a letter authorising you to take the cycle away there are
> still any number of eager young fools out there who might not know the
> theft act as properly as they should who may arrest you whilst you prove
> your innocence.
> However if you take it and then let local plod - property officer - know
> you have it by letter, keeping a sealed and franked copy for yourself, and
> giving local plod your contact details as said by others if the GPO fail to
> get in touch with you to reclaim the cycle it's yours after, I think, 6
> months. NB I am reasonably sure it's six months. You should be able to get
> a receipt from the property officer to this effect.

But surely the young eager fools would still try and arrest you as to them
it looks exactly the same as the previously described situation - a non
postie riding around on a postie bike. Of course you can pull out the
letters / receipt to prove that you own the bike but it would still be
a hassle.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:26:40 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Call me Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:08:02 +0100, "elyob" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>If the OP is concerned, then would it be a huge effort to cycle it to the
>>>sorting office and leaving it there for them?

>> Yes, I suppose he could do that. He could also pop round on his day
>> off and wash the sorting office windows for them eh?

>Nah, that's going well over the top. However a quick lube of the chain would
>be appreciated. ;)

Actually I do visit a sorting office at least once a week to collect
business mail from a PO box. Do not think it covers the location of
the cycle though. I will ask them in there if there is a contact to
mention it to. . Maybe do the half way house and collect the cycle to
save it from the dump and give Royal Mail a chance to collect it.
A letter in writing obviously to show the attempt had been made.
If no response then change of colour and removal of the Royal mail
lettering sticker would then take place.
Out of idle curiosity I wonder if RM Cycles are Postcoded. Bet they
aren't.
As for riding it too them no thanks , That chain looks very stiff and
rusty. It will fit in the Van.
On the other hand it is at the back of a pub (whichis why I think
it was abandoned by a Postie on service beyond the call of duty
especially as it is the 2nd one) on a route which a certain Bus driver
who posts here occasionally must pass sometimes.
Perhaps he would let me put it on his nice shiny Blue Bus.

G.Harman

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:47:25 GMT, [email protected] (g.harman)
>wrote:
>
>>However these things are a bit distinctive and I have no wish to get a
>>criminal record by being found on Royal Mails bike even if they do not
>>seem to want it.
>>

>Then again, you'll be an easier target than an actual burglar, or car
>thief, and so if things ever got complicated the police may well look
>on you as a soft target for their statistics. Which is of course what
>they are most concerned about.
>
>"Bob"

I am quite a cynic as well but have actually had quite good response
from the police as today over an incident today. Details to appear in
that group over there>>>>> which contains many whom regard those on
this one as the Great Satan and vicky verky.
So the Police are in my good books at the moment.
G.Harman

I submit that on or about Wed, 12 Oct 2005 22:07:32 +0100, the person
known to the court as Mike Causer
<[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in
Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>> I have a ready solution to that: buy a pair of dark blue shorts and a
>> light blue short-sleeved shirt - which is what I normally wear as it
>> happens. I ride past the sorting office on the way to work and often get
>> a nod from the posties, who seem to think I'm one of them :)

>But remember a Martel-hat is part of your uniform, and not an item of
>"safety" equipment!

Don't tell Fat Eric, but a number of the Reading posties don't wear
them. And don't seem to be dead yet, either...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? twisted the electrons to say:
> Don't tell Fat Eric, but a number of the Reading posties don't wear
> them. And don't seem to be dead yet, either...

Many of the York posties seem to wear them, but not bother to do the
straps up.

On 2005-10-13, Alistair Gunn <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? twisted the electrons to say:
>> Don't tell Fat Eric, but a number of the Reading posties don't wear
>> them. And don't seem to be dead yet, either...

> Many of the York posties seem to wear them, but not bother to do the
> straps up.

I have never seen a Lincoln postman wearing one.

Regards,

-david

ian henden wrote:

> Wait till next summer, I'll put it on the NFT bike trailer for you, behind
> the nice shiny orange open topper :eek:)

Where will you be starting? Will I have to put the bike in the car to
get to the NF and board your bus?

ian henden wrote:

> Put it on the bus?
> Naaahhh .... illegal (honest!!)

Better not tell Uni-link, who allow bikes on their buses, then.

--
Tony

Anon

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> ian henden wrote:
>

>> Wait till next summer, I'll put it on the NFT bike trailer for you,
>> behind the nice shiny orange open topper :eek:)

> Where will you be starting? Will I have to put the bike in the car to get
> to the NF and board your bus?

Not finalised yet, HCC want two buses running, rather than the one they had
this year. This season was regarded as being succssful, quite a few bikes
carried, they want to build on that. Route might be different, but will
centre on Lyndhurst, and include Brockenhurst and Lymington... so you won't
have to put your bike in the car. You can bring it on the train!!

At least one of this group did avail themself of last season's service....
(and said nice things about me. I must have been having an "off-day"....)

ian henden wrote:

> Not finalised yet, HCC want two buses running, rather than the one they had
> this year. This season was regarded as being succssful, quite a few bikes
> carried, they want to build on that. Route might be different, but will
> centre on Lyndhurst, and include Brockenhurst and Lymington... so you won't
> have to put your bike in the car. You can bring it on the train!!

Oh yes. I tried the train across the forest last year. Full by the
time it got to Poole (heading east). Fortunately, I had a backup mode
of transport. The bike.

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> ian henden wrote:
>

>> Not finalised yet, HCC want two buses running, rather than the one they
>> had this year. This season was regarded as being succssful, quite a few
>> bikes carried, they want to build on that. Route might be different, but
>> will centre on Lyndhurst, and include Brockenhurst and Lymington... so
>> you won't have to put your bike in the car. You can bring it on the
>> train!!
>>

> Oh yes. I tried the train across the forest last year. Full by the time
> it got to Poole (heading east). Fortunately, I had a backup mode of
> transport. The bike.

They can't *all* have been heading for Brockenhurst to ride the NFT..... can
they???

:eek:)

Ian.

Tony Raven wrote:
> ian henden wrote:
>

>> Put it on the bus?
>> Naaahhh .... illegal (honest!!)
>>

> Better not tell Uni-link, who allow bikes on their buses, then.

Going by the person figureheading uni-stink I can well believe it!

"Badger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Tony Raven wrote:
>> ian henden wrote:
>>

>>> Put it on the bus?
>>> Naaahhh .... illegal (honest!!)
>>>

>> Better not tell Uni-link, who allow bikes on their buses, then.
>>

> Going by the person figureheading uni-stink I can well believe it!

So.... if you are an ordinary passenger, wearing decent clothes, and you get
oil and grease all over them which has come off a bike on the bus, would you
be very happy about it? would you be claiming damage/cleaning cost off the
bus co?