ABBABIBBLE'S New kick-awesome BC wheel

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by abbabibble, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    Ok. I've been building my BC plates over the last month or so, and i
    finally got all the pieces together and was able to get the last part i
    needed today. I finished my bc, but i have to go to work in about 20
    minutes, so i haven't really practiced yet.

    pics:
    http://tinyurl.com/e49u4

    I used the same wheel as catboy's (only cause i found it on ebay for a
    decent price, and it looked sweet) and i made my own plates. I modified
    evan's concept, and they're shorter than long plates, but longer than
    shorts. I like to call them "Short-long" plates.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  2. Loosemoose

    Loosemoose Guest

    abbabibble wrote:
    > I like to call them "Short-long" plates.

    'Shlong' (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shlong)
    plates?

    Looking good dude, hope u have fun, I might need to get a BC
    eventually.

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
    Officially a  & ~ expert.

    _no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
    Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
    Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

  3. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    verrry funny. not shlong... maybe i should change the name... i dunno.
    maybe i'll just call them Abbaplates. yeah. that'll do it.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  4. markf

    markf Guest

  5. Loosemoose

    Loosemoose Guest

    abbabibble wrote:
    > maybe i'll just call them Abbaplates. yeah. that'll do it.

    Unfortunately 'taken' (http://tinyurl.com/83fgq), specifically as the
    bulletproof ceramic plates in Anti-Bullet-Body-Armour.

    Shlong it must be...

    Loose.

    --
    Loosemoose

    Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
    Officially a  & ~ expert.

    _no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
    Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
    Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
    Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

  6. Heres my 2 http://tinyurl.com/7hpzq I got both for free. (Courtesy of my
    uncle and his bike shop). I was just out practicing and got extremely
    bad tire tears on the inside of my legs. OUCH!

    --
    unicyclerpunk

    Who shot the sherriff????.......habbywall did of course but now the
    question is Who shot the deputy? is he still alive?
    unicyclerpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11009

  7. tomsey

    tomsey Guest

  8. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    if they do, i'll just get stronger metal. This is just for learning, and
    i don't intend on any extremely extreme stuff anytime soon.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  9. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    WHAT THE F***

    Those are the absolute worst welds I have ever seen. I like that you
    tried to make your own plates but im guessing one smack with a hammer
    those plates will fall apart like a card tower. also having in between
    long and short is pointless, long only works if you can get your toe or
    ball of foot and your heal on it to tilt for balance.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  10. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    Thanks evan. Thanks a bunch. :mad:
    The welds are sloppy, i admit that. But you seriously need to watch
    where you're treading and how you talk to people. That just cost you a
    lifetime's worth of trust right there. Never again, evan. Never again.
    You just lost another ally. This was my first really large welding
    project, and you just tried to quash my enthusiasm for getting better.
    Nice way to try to build yourself up, it's really original.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  11. DK

    DK Guest

  12. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    If you had researched it at all, you would have made the angled vertical
    tubes meet at the axle or above, instead of putting them below which
    takes away a lot of strength and rigidness.

    --
    Evan Byrne

    "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  13. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    yup. they aren't my best welds ever, i have to admit. BUT it's more
    reason to make more for practice! :D

    and evan, i don't want you in this thread anymore. go away, please. you
    are now on my ignore list.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  14. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  15. Evan slow down...

    But yeah, you're right.

    Next time, try turning on the sheilding gas for those welds. Either
    that or use flux cored wire (meaning you can only do MIG, not TIG).
    Also, well, do everything completely differently. You made the apex of
    the triangle meet virtually below the axle. This means the weakest part
    of the plate is in the part getting the most stress. Even if your welds
    were good (which they aren't, sorry), those would be weak plates
    because of the aforementioned design flaw.

    On top of the welds, the plates reek of heat distortion. Welding is
    nothing like gluing. By making a weld, you distort the metal, no way
    around it. It appears that no effort was made to account for that
    (notice the crazy warpage in the first pic of the BC wheel). Next time,
    be strategic with your welds. Don't just weld one seam and go to the
    next: Instead, tack the whole thing together (using as little heat as
    possible. This means you will have to be agressive with the TIG pedal).
    Then, once you get it tacked together, do the welds strategically,
    checking alignment and squareness along the way.

    Really, you should have a professional welder to look over your
    shoulder. He or she would have stopped you in a second when you made
    welds like that, because, well, it should be obvious that you need
    sheilding gas. Keep up the learning, but please, do more research and
    find someone to teach you. Having access to welding equipment doesn't
    mean you can just sit down and spit out usable metal projects.

    One last thing: What welding proccess are you using? MIG, TIG, or
    Stick? I assume you're doing mig, because TIG is impossible with all
    the smoke when the sheilding gas is off.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  16. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    actually, i did use flux-cored wire...
    maybe i have my settings turned up too high...
    thanks for the advice.
    But yeah... i'm still quite proud that i actually accomplished
    something because all of my other large(ish) scale projects have either
    failed absolutely miserably, or just not been started off paper. I'm
    proud of the fact that i actually carried through on my project and
    finished it for once, and it doesn't work half bad.

    I'll tell you that the axle washer things weren't of my original plan.

    After i finished my base thing, i realised that the 3" is a lot smaller
    than i thought (that's the height of the triangle). So i ended up
    putting on those on the tip of the triagle instead of inside like i
    originally planned.

    my next set, now that i have experience (sort of...) will hopefully be
    more thought out and clean.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------
    SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
    TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  17. Alright, with a bit more info to play with:

    Disclaimer: I'm not going to claim everything here is 100% accurate.
    I'm not a professional welder, I'm just trying to share what I've
    learned working in a metal shop. I've been through exactly what you're
    going through, and am trying to help. For example, i approached my
    first unicycle frame thinking it'd take 2 weeks to machine. It took 6
    months. I spent 2 months just revising the drawings before the guy
    teaching me even let me touch my metal. So with that said:

    This has nothing to do with you, but flux cored wire sucks. Period. It
    has uses, namely when you have two flat piece of 1/4" mild steel that
    want to be attached. It is an excercise in futility to use flux cored
    wire on structural steel such as bike tubing.

    If you insist on not buying a regulator and renting a tank of argon,
    here's a hint: flux cored wire makes slag. You can't lay another pass
    or do more welding on top of a previous weld until you chip off the
    slag. WEAR EYE PROTECTION FOR THIS.

    On another note, MIG is not the ideal proccess for this stuff. If I
    were you I would either A: invest in a good TIG welding rig (meaning
    Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln, not some generic ebay crap), or B: invest
    in a good (meaning not Harbor Freight) set of oxy-actylene regulators
    and torches. Rent some tanks, and learn oxy-actylene welding.

    MIG isn't really precise enough for welds like this. If we had to make
    those at work, we would whip out the TIG welder (well, not literally).
    If the tig welder were broken, we'd get the oxy-acetylene rig. If the
    oxy-acetylene rig were broken, we would send the customer somewhere
    else. Note, the shop at work has 4 MIG welders.

    If you want to do good work making unicycle parts, you really need to
    become proficient with an O/A welder and a TIG welder.

    By saying "your settings are too high" you show that you aren't yet
    familiar with you MIG welder. What do you mean by "settings"? There's
    wire feed, amperage, wire guage, arc length, method of deposition
    (spray or globular), polarity, speed of welding, and wire extension to
    be worried about here. This mess gets even worse when you use a
    sheilding gas. Let me repeat, you need someone who does this junk
    professionally to teach you. Can you enroll at a local community
    college? Do something like that, because it's dangerous and foolish of
    you to just pick up a MIG welding gun and start laying down pools of
    molten metal. Again, I'm not trying to stomp on your hopes of making
    something useful, but you have gotten way ahead of yourself.

    EDIT: As for the axle washers, well, this exposes another thing you
    need to become proficient with, although less so for welding. You need
    to have an idea of what measurements translate to, and what they mean
    to your design. You can't just arbitrarily change the design like you
    did, and expect to have something useful come out. By lowering the
    position of the plates the way you did, you made them too weak to be
    useful.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  18. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    We do have a community college, but they have absolutely no hands on
    stuff. I'm thinking that i'll do some more reading up on this stuff
    before i try again. Also, i think i may be able to get an attachment
    that lets me use a shielding gas and solid wire.
    And you did hit that nail strait on the head there gerble. I'm not too
    familiar with my machine... I just go by the chart on the side that has
    the settings and what metal thickness to use with which combination of
    settings. I think my amperage is too high for the metal i'm using, but
    i'm not sure.
    Anyways, thanks for the info. On monday i'm off to the librorry and
    local welding shop as to learn more...

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    -----------------------

  19. abbabibble wrote:
    > We do have a community college, but they have absolutely no hands on
    > stuff. I'm thinking that i'll do some more reading up on this stuff
    > before i try again. Also, i think i may be able to get an attachment
    > that lets me use a shielding gas and solid wire.
    >
    > thanks for the info. On monday i'm off to the librorry!

    Good. Remember, though, reading helps, but you will still need a human
    there to help you along the way.

    As for the CC, that's a shame. You might want to look again, however,
    because trades are a big deal at most CC's. The none near my house has
    at least 5 welding classes and even mroe machining classes. I believe
    the most expensive one is like $100 for a semester class.

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  20. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    huh.
    maybe i'll check by there again.
    and maybe even reno... there's gotta be something there.

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.