ABBABIBBLE'S New kick-awesome BC wheel

abbabibble

Guest
Ok. I've been building my BC plates over the last month or so, and i
finally got all the pieces together and was able to get the last part i
needed today. I finished my bc, but i have to go to work in about 20
minutes, so i haven't really practiced yet.

pics:
http://tinyurl.com/e49u4

I used the same wheel as catboy's (only cause i found it on ebay for a
decent price, and it looked sweet) and i made my own plates. I modified
evan's concept, and they're shorter than long plates, but longer than
shorts. I like to call them "Short-long" plates.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

abbabibble wrote:
> I like to call them "Short-long" plates.

'Shlong' (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shlong)
plates?

Looking good dude, hope u have fun, I might need to get a BC
eventually.

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

verrry funny. not shlong... maybe i should change the name... i dunno.
maybe i'll just call them Abbaplates. yeah. that'll do it.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------

abbabibble wrote:
> maybe i'll just call them Abbaplates. yeah. that'll do it.

Unfortunately 'taken' (http://tinyurl.com/83fgq), specifically as the
bulletproof ceramic plates in Anti-Bullet-Body-Armour.

Shlong it must be...

Loose.

--
Loosemoose

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Heres my 2 http://tinyurl.com/7hpzq I got both for free. (Courtesy of my
uncle and his bike shop). I was just out practicing and got extremely
bad tire tears on the inside of my legs. OUCH!

--
unicyclerpunk

Who shot the sherriff????.......habbywall did of course but now the
question is Who shot the deputy? is he still alive?
unicyclerpunk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11009

if they do, i'll just get stronger metal. This is just for learning, and
i don't intend on any extremely extreme stuff anytime soon.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

WHAT THE F***

Those are the absolute worst welds I have ever seen. I like that you
tried to make your own plates but im guessing one smack with a hammer
those plates will fall apart like a card tower. also having in between
long and short is pointless, long only works if you can get your toe or
ball of foot and your heal on it to tilt for balance.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

Thanks evan. Thanks a bunch. :mad:
The welds are sloppy, i admit that. But you seriously need to watch
where you're treading and how you talk to people. That just cost you a
lifetime's worth of trust right there. Never again, evan. Never again.
You just lost another ally. This was my first really large welding
project, and you just tried to quash my enthusiasm for getting better.
Nice way to try to build yourself up, it's really original.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

If you had researched it at all, you would have made the angled vertical
tubes meet at the axle or above, instead of putting them below which
takes away a lot of strength and rigidness.

--
Evan Byrne

"Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage." -Harper
Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

yup. they aren't my best welds ever, i have to admit. BUT it's more
reason to make more for practice! :D

and evan, i don't want you in this thread anymore. go away, please. you
are now on my ignore list.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Evan slow down...

But yeah, you're right.

Next time, try turning on the sheilding gas for those welds. Either
that or use flux cored wire (meaning you can only do MIG, not TIG).
Also, well, do everything completely differently. You made the apex of
the triangle meet virtually below the axle. This means the weakest part
of the plate is in the part getting the most stress. Even if your welds
were good (which they aren't, sorry), those would be weak plates
because of the aforementioned design flaw.

On top of the welds, the plates reek of heat distortion. Welding is
nothing like gluing. By making a weld, you distort the metal, no way
around it. It appears that no effort was made to account for that
(notice the crazy warpage in the first pic of the BC wheel). Next time,
be strategic with your welds. Don't just weld one seam and go to the
next: Instead, tack the whole thing together (using as little heat as
possible. This means you will have to be agressive with the TIG pedal).
Then, once you get it tacked together, do the welds strategically,
checking alignment and squareness along the way.

Really, you should have a professional welder to look over your
shoulder. He or she would have stopped you in a second when you made
welds like that, because, well, it should be obvious that you need
sheilding gas. Keep up the learning, but please, do more research and
find someone to teach you. Having access to welding equipment doesn't
mean you can just sit down and spit out usable metal projects.

One last thing: What welding proccess are you using? MIG, TIG, or
Stick? I assume you're doing mig, because TIG is impossible with all
the smoke when the sheilding gas is off.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

actually, i did use flux-cored wire...
maybe i have my settings turned up too high...
thanks for the advice.
But yeah... i'm still quite proud that i actually accomplished
something because all of my other large(ish) scale projects have either
failed absolutely miserably, or just not been started off paper. I'm
proud of the fact that i actually carried through on my project and
finished it for once, and it doesn't work half bad.

I'll tell you that the axle washer things weren't of my original plan.

After i finished my base thing, i realised that the 3" is a lot smaller
than i thought (that's the height of the triangle). So i ended up
putting on those on the tip of the triagle instead of inside like i
originally planned.

my next set, now that i have experience (sort of...) will hopefully be
more thought out and clean.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------
SUPER AWEXOME SUPER-UNI SHIRTS! PREORDER YOURS
TODAY!!!http://unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44230
--"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
"abababilbel" - General Dibbles
abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

Alright, with a bit more info to play with:

Disclaimer: I'm not going to claim everything here is 100% accurate.
I'm not a professional welder, I'm just trying to share what I've
learned working in a metal shop. I've been through exactly what you're
going through, and am trying to help. For example, i approached my
first unicycle frame thinking it'd take 2 weeks to machine. It took 6
months. I spent 2 months just revising the drawings before the guy
teaching me even let me touch my metal. So with that said:

This has nothing to do with you, but flux cored wire sucks. Period. It
has uses, namely when you have two flat piece of 1/4" mild steel that
want to be attached. It is an excercise in futility to use flux cored
wire on structural steel such as bike tubing.

If you insist on not buying a regulator and renting a tank of argon,
here's a hint: flux cored wire makes ****. You can't lay another pass
or do more welding on top of a previous weld until you chip off the
****. WEAR EYE PROTECTION FOR THIS.

On another note, MIG is not the ideal proccess for this stuff. If I
were you I would either A: invest in a good TIG welding rig (meaning
Hobart, Miller, or Lincoln, not some generic ebay ****), or B: invest
in a good (meaning not Harbor Freight) set of oxy-actylene regulators
and torches. Rent some tanks, and learn oxy-actylene welding.

MIG isn't really precise enough for welds like this. If we had to make
those at work, we would whip out the TIG welder (well, not literally).
If the tig welder were broken, we'd get the oxy-acetylene rig. If the
oxy-acetylene rig were broken, we would send the customer somewhere
else. Note, the shop at work has 4 MIG welders.

If you want to do good work making unicycle parts, you really need to
become proficient with an O/A welder and a TIG welder.

By saying "your settings are too high" you show that you aren't yet
familiar with you MIG welder. What do you mean by "settings"? There's
wire feed, amperage, wire guage, arc length, method of deposition
(spray or globular), polarity, speed of welding, and wire extension to
be worried about here. This mess gets even worse when you use a
sheilding gas. Let me repeat, you need someone who does this junk
professionally to teach you. Can you enroll at a local community
college? Do something like that, because it's dangerous and foolish of
you to just pick up a MIG welding gun and start laying down pools of
molten metal. Again, I'm not trying to stomp on your hopes of making
something useful, but you have gotten way ahead of yourself.

EDIT: As for the axle washers, well, this exposes another thing you
need to become proficient with, although less so for welding. You need
to have an idea of what measurements translate to, and what they mean
to your design. You can't just arbitrarily change the design like you
did, and expect to have something useful come out. By lowering the
position of the plates the way you did, you made them too weak to be
useful.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

We do have a community college, but they have absolutely no hands on
stuff. I'm thinking that i'll do some more reading up on this stuff
before i try again. Also, i think i may be able to get an attachment
that lets me use a shielding gas and solid wire.
And you did hit that nail strait on the head there gerble. I'm not too
familiar with my machine... I just go by the chart on the side that has
the settings and what metal thickness to use with which combination of
settings. I think my amperage is too high for the metal i'm using, but
i'm not sure.
Anyways, thanks for the info. On monday i'm off to the librorry and
local welding shop as to learn more...

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.
-----------------------

abbabibble wrote:
> We do have a community college, but they have absolutely no hands on
> stuff. I'm thinking that i'll do some more reading up on this stuff
> before i try again. Also, i think i may be able to get an attachment
> that lets me use a shielding gas and solid wire.
>
> thanks for the info. On monday i'm off to the librorry!

Good. Remember, though, reading helps, but you will still need a human
there to help you along the way.

As for the CC, that's a shame. You might want to look again, however,
because trades are a big deal at most CC's. The none near my house has
at least 5 welding classes and even mroe machining classes. I believe
the most expensive one is like $100 for a semester class.

--
gerblefranklin

Nick's main man.

"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

huh.
maybe i'll check by there again.
and maybe even reno... there's gotta be something there.

--
abbabibble

Cheers, Mat.