click here

Get bizzy peoples!

Hilary Harper is gonna be about in the chopper, so wave if you get buzzed :D

On 2005-11-09, flyingdutch wrote:
> http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1500642.htm
>
> On Thursday the 17th of November, Jon Faine wants to map the traffic
> and public transport problems across Melbourne - and he needs your
> help.

Don't know that I'd be much help, given that I travel from Mitcham to
Monash (which isn't a good indicator for the majority of traffic woes,
since the majority seem to work in or near the CBD), but I have made my
comments on the transportation system. Wasn't approved two minutes ago
when I posted, but hopefully soon ... :) (look for the comment by
"sjl".)

On 2005-11-09, Stuart Lamble (aka Bruce)
> On 2005-11-09, flyingdutch wrote:
>> http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1500642.htm
>>
>> On Thursday the 17th of November, Jon Faine wants to map the traffic
>> and public transport problems across Melbourne - and he needs your
>> help.

> Don't know that I'd be much help, given that I travel from Mitcham to
> Monash (which isn't a good indicator for the majority of traffic woes,
> since the majority seem to work in or near the CBD), but I have made my
> comments on the transportation system. Wasn't approved two minutes ago
> when I posted, but hopefully soon ... :) (look for the comment by
> "sjl".)

Of course that's what they want. Because the PT system is radial, and
you aren't going radial, that's a big problem. They want people who
have to go through hoops to go to where they are going.

--
TimC
It's the _target_ that supposed to go "F00F", not the processor.

On 2005-11-09, TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> Of course that's what they want. Because the PT system is radial, and
> you aren't going radial, that's a big problem. They want people who
> have to go through hoops to go to where they are going.

Um ... I'd hardly describe "one train, change to bus, get off bus at
destination" as 'jumping through hoops'. Believe it or not, the 703 is
actually a pretty reliable route, by and large.

The direct door to door bus route from home in Glen Waverley to work in Clayton was cancelled just after I bought the house. Got fed up waiting 30min for the bus that comes every 20min, followed by the 20min journey and the 5-10 min walk at each end. Now takes 25 minutes on a bicycle. This is much faster and almost as fast as a car in peak hour, plus I get some excercise. Now a happy commuter because I don't use public transport.

flyingdutch said:
http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1500642.htm
Jon is looking for correspondents to be part of the program, to report on their morning journey to the city - whether it be in the car, on a bus, train or tram.
I should send in a photo of the Monash Freeway crawling in Glen Waverley, 25km from the city! I cycle across the freeway bridge twice a day thinking "I'm glad I'm not in that!"

On 2005-11-10, ghostgum (aka Bruce)

> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1500642.htm
>> Jon is looking for correspondents to be part of the program, to report
>> on their morning journey to the city - whether it be in the car, on a
>> bus, train or tram.
>>

> I should send in a photo of the Monash Freeway crawling in Glen
> Waverley, 25km from the city! I cycle across the freeway bridge twice
> a day thinking "I'm glad I'm not in that!"

I used to cycle across the East Malvern bridge over the freeway. You
could smell the pollution up there. But it was very laugh worthy.
Suckers.

--
TimC
``Here, sanity ... niiiiiice sanity, come to daddy ... okay, that's a

ghostgum said:
I should send in a photo of the Monash Freeway crawling in Glen Waverley, 25km from the city! I cycle across the freeway bridge twice a day thinking "I'm glad I'm not in that!"

I get the same view at Belford Rd, crossing the eastern.
Altho I get screeched at by the gang of cockatoo hoodlums who have taken up residency there :rolleyes:

On 2005-11-10, ghostgum wrote:

> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1500642.htm
>> Jon is looking for correspondents to be part of the program, to report
>> on their morning journey to the city - whether it be in the car, on a
>> bus, train or tram.
>>

> I should send in a photo of the Monash Freeway crawling in Glen
> Waverley, 25km from the city! I cycle across the freeway bridge twice
> a day thinking "I'm glad I'm not in that!"

I probably should get myself a nice DSLR and do just that.

Can I afford $3k for the one I want, though? (Well, ok, $5k for the one
I *want*, but that's the "in your dreams" type want; the $3k one is a
more realistic option. Hm ... have cousin in camera shop; wonder what
she can do for me ...)

I even have the perfect vantage point to do it from on my way in: my
cycling route takes me over the freeway at Blackburn Road.

For added points, I should do it again on my way home, just to drive
(pun not intended) the point home.

flyingdutch said:
http://www.abc.net.au/melbourne/stories/s1500642.htm

On Thursday the 17th of November, Jon Faine wants to map the traffic and public transport problems across Melbourne - and he needs your help.

"It's chockas down at the Rushall Station underpass, but clearing quickly. St Kilda Road service lane medium to heavy but flowing nicely. Beach Road a great run in. Fast ride in on Footscray Road with some headwind. Ruckers Hill is a ripper downhill. Sun glare on Gardiners Bridge. Another SMS mentions there's a queue for showers at Collins Place but all concerned are good natured about it."

cfsmtb wrote:
> -"It's chockas down at the Rushall Station underpass, but clearing
> quickly. St Kilda Road service lane medium to heavy but flowing nicely.
> Beach Road a great run in. Fast ride in on Footscray Road with some
> headwind. Ruckers Hill is a ripper downhill. Sun glare on Gardiners
> Bridge. Another SMS mentions there's a queue for showers at Collins
> Place but all concerned are good natured about it."-

Plus major traffic jams outside the Yarra rowing sheds near St Kilda Rd,
expect delays of up to 45 seconds.

DaveB

cfsmtb said:
Another SMS mentions there's a queue for showers at Collins Place but all concerned are good natured about it."

Oh no! My secret showers!! :eek:

Just as well I don't need them anymore... nothing worse than a queue of half naked sweaty male cyclists (unless you're into that kind of thing)...

Eddie(ah, private shower)c

eddiec said:
Oh no! My secret showers!! :eek:

Just as well I don't need them anymore... nothing worse than a queue of half naked sweaty male cyclists (unless you're into that kind of thing)...

Eddie(ah, private shower)c

Mmmmm, you could sell tickets to that.

Ok, I'll go now.

I found the Hilary Harper biography on the ABC web site.
I like the bit "she has a deep understanding of issues affecting traffic flow, especially rain and wind".
http://www.abc.net.au/backyard/biography/HILARYHARPER.htm?melbourne

Hilary Harper

Breakfast Traffic Reporter

As traffic reporter, Hilary gives you all the information you need to get around Melbourne in the morning - accident locations, train cancellations and freeway updates - with the odd bit of cycling information thrown in. Riding to work every morning (even in the winter chill), she has a deep understanding of issues affecting traffic flow, especially rain and wind, but reports from listeners are always appreciated.

She has been known to deliver traffic reports in haiku, when inspired, but Red's challenge to come up with one entirely in rhyming couplets has so far gone unanswered.

Hilary is also a 774 producer, sometime writer, freelance editor, film and book reviewer and recidivist student. Her interests include guitar music of all kinds, documentary films, good food and road trips. One day she will manage to combine them.

Date published: 07/09/2005

eddiec said:
Oh no! My secret showers!! :eek:

Just as well I don't need them anymore... nothing worse than a queue of half naked sweaty male cyclists (unless you're into that kind of thing)...

Eddie(ah, private shower)c

Really...where exactly are we talking.. Might have to accidently stop there to check out the ...ahem..showers.. just to make sure that they arent better than the work ones.

There was movement at the station, for the word had passed around

If all goes to plan, further details will follow.... :D

coowoowoo said:
Really...where exactly are we talking.. Might have to accidently stop there to check out the ...ahem..showers.. just to make sure that they arent better than the work ones.

Ok - be vewy vewy quiet....

This is how it used to be when i worked there a while back - things may have changed, so report back if it's no longer accessible:

55 Collins St. Enter the ANZ tower and go into the lifts in the middle set of lifts. In there are two (far end, right hand side i believe) which have a down button to go to some ANZ floors. I think you go down to the lowest (I think, could be wrong..) Exit lift and turn left, left, and left, or ask someone where the squash courts are... Showers are around there...

When I was there nothing stopped anybody from accessing that, and there was no security or keycards or anything...

having said that, the showers weren't remarkable...